What's new

The Three Stooges (2 Viewers)

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the tv movie starring Michael Chiklis as Curly from 2000 has ever been released or is ever being planned for release? I figure with the chronological collections doing so well and the Farrelly brothers movie in the works, we might see something on it. I did some research but turned up nothing.

Thanks!

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I actually caught it not too long ago on AMC and it definitely wasn't too good, but I'm just one of those completists who would probably buy it if it was cheap enough.

Thanks for the info and the link Harry!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I don't remember this being all that bad.

I wouldn't call it a great bio-pic, but at the time, I thought it was an OK movie of the week.

Whatever the movie's quality, I'd be really surprised if they'd release it on DVD though.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have that movie on vhs somewhere (might be in basement). Mel Gibson was the exec producer and stooge fan.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
From what I have read on this release, it seems like it's going to be packed with a lot of interesting material to it...but I just noticed that there are two different release dates and prices to this thing, so not sure what's going on there

91QF-V9VMlL._SY445_.jpg

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Why in the world did they skip over "The Three Stooges in Orbit"? There's always something about these sets that aggravates me and makes it a "no sale," and there it is.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
From what I have read on this release, it seems like it's going to be packed with a lot of interesting material to it...but I just noticed that there are two different release dates and prices to this thing, so not sure what's going on there

91QF-V9VMlL._SY445_.jpg
For starters, I know firsthand the included six feature Mill Creek DVD set has encoding issues. For that, I highly recommend the two separate Blu-ray volumes (I'm actually playing TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941) from the first BD volume, which looks really swell, in my opinion!), instead. I'd also be concerned about THE THREE STOOGES RARE TREASURES FROM THE VAULT Collection, which should populate 3 DVDs, at least based on the original Sony set.

Just my 2 cents!

CHEERS! :)

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
For starters, I know firsthand the included six feature Mill Creek DVD set has encoding issues. For that, I highly recommend the two separate Blu-ray volumes (I'm actually playing TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941) from the first BD volume, which looks really swell, in my opinion!), instead. I'd also be concerned about THE THREE STOOGES RARE TREASURES FROM THE VAULT Collection, which should populate 3 DVDs, at least based on the original Sony set.

Just my 2 cents!

Were these movies ever released on regulard dvd episode releases? I remember them coming out on Blu Ray but never purchased them.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Just my 2 cents!

Were these movies ever released on regulard dvd episode releases? I remember them coming out on Blu Ray but never purchased them.
I still have the 2 DVD 6 Movie set that was released in early 2014. A few of them on that Mill Creek collection are glitchy to varying degrees. THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965) is by far the worst of these!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If I understand your question, no. They were never included in any of the regular DVD episode releases. They've had the single disc MC release which, as Tony has indicated, has a few glitches. Whether or not these bother you depends on your love for the Stooges. I was OK with them, as much as anything because I don't care for the movies nearly as much as the shorts, but upgraded to the 2 Blu-ray releases which corrected the issues.

I'll pass on this new set... I have no desire to own the cartoon series (I thought it was pretty lame as a kid and my opinion has not improved during the intervening years) nor the 2000 telefilm and already own, likely better, copies of the rest and paid less than this MC set will cost for the lot.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'll pass on this new set... I have no desire to own the cartoon series (I thought it was pretty lame as a kid and my opinion has not improved during the intervening years) nor the 2000 telefilm and already own, likely better, copies of the rest and paid less than this MC set will cost for the lot.

The cartoon series is just that..."lame". As a huge Stooge fan, I wanted to watch at least the "live" wraparounds, but once was enough.

What's amazing is the seemingly inexhaustible release of them along with some other Three Stooge public domain material.

If Mill Creek feels they can still sell enough 10-disc sets (which include a bit of "C" and "D" level material, and a bit of previously released late-career films), I would think Sony could sell a nice Blu-ray set of the 190 shorts. There must be more Stooge fans ready for that classic content on Blu-ray, than there are those ready to buy the leftovers for the 100th time on DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The cartoon series is just that..."lame". As a huge Stooge fan, I wanted to watch at least the "live" wraparounds, but once was enough.

What's amazing is the seemingly inexhaustible release of them along with some other Three Stooge public domain material.

If Mill Creek feels they can still sell enough 10-disc sets (which include a bit of "C" and "D" level material, and a bit of previously released late-career films), I would think Sony could sell a nice Blu-ray set of the 190 shorts. There must be more Stooge fans ready for that classic content on Blu-ray, than there are those ready to buy the leftovers for the 100th time on DVD.
Those "live" wraparounds were embarrassing. Very bad. When those things originally aired I was watching the shorts every afternoon on local TV which just made the cartoon series seem even worse. Plus they have Curly Joe, who tried but, at least for me, just couldn't deliver.

I'd purchase a Blu-ray set of all the shorts. And I mean all of them, including those in the "Rare Treasures" set, although the Besser and DeRita ones are mostly a curiosity and not worth a second viewing. A nice, separate, Blu-ray release containing all the movies would also be welcome.

Here's the original disc count for anyone considering a purchase.

The 6 film collection: 2 discs
Hey Moe! Hey Dad!: 3 discs
Rare Treasures: 3 discs
The New Three Stooges: 5 discs
The Telefilm: 1 disc (MOD)
The Three Stooges Family Album and other misc, repeated, stuff: 1(?) disc

So... that's at least 15 discs originally which is being crammed onto 10 discs for the re-issue.

Do yourself a favor and purchase the 2 Blu-ray movie sets (or the DVD if you don't have a BR player), Hey Moe! Hey Dad! (if you like documentary stuff - this one's not bad and the individual release has some neat paper bonus items although the box is huge), and the "Rare Treasures" set. You should be able to snag all of it for about the same price as this set, or less, if you watch for sale prices.

Last edited:

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I actually liked the mini wrap-arounds with Moe and Larry and Curly Joe DeRita but the cartoons were just horrible and most of the other things in this set revolve around either public domain titles or a few new pieces of material they wanted to throw in for good measure but again, why is there a price difference as there looks to be two different versions of this set forthcoming, judging from the link I saw of this.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I actually kinda like the cartoon series but even as a kid I thought the wrap arounds were not funny and lame.I still don't have a copy of the cartoons because the previous releases got such low quality reviews that I didn't bother. If the cartoon series is improved I will probably get this set on sale otherwise I will pass. I saw the 2000 TV movie when it aired and didn't care for it. There was a 2002 tv movie on Martin and Lewis that I thought was much better.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those "live" wraparounds were embarrassing. Very bad. When those things originally aired I was watching the shorts every afternoon on local TV which just made the cartoon series seem even worse. Plus they have Curly Joe, who tried but, at least for me, just couldn't deliver.

I'd purchase a Blu-ray set of all the shorts. And I mean all of them, including those in the "Rare Treasures" set, although the Besser and DeRita ones are mostly a curiosity and not worth a second viewing. A nice, separate, Blu-ray release containing all the movies would also be welcome.

Here's the original disc count for anyone considering a purchase.

The 6 film collection: 2 discs
Hey Moe! Hey Dad!: 3 discs
Rare Treasures: 3 discs
The New Three Stooges: 5 discs
The Telefilm: 1 disc (MOD)
The Three Stooges Family Album and other misc, repeated, stuff: 1(?) disc

So... that's at least 15 discs originally which is being crammed onto 10 discs for the re-issue.

Do yourself a favor and purchase the 2 Blu-ray movie sets (or the DVD if you don't have a BR player), Hey Moe! Hey Dad! (if you like documentary stuff - this one's not bad and the individual release has some neat paper bonus items although the box is huge), and the "Rare Treasures" set. You should be able to snag all of it for about the same price as this set, or less, if you watch for sale prices.
For those who don't have a Blu-ray Player, I would actually recommend getting the 4 Stooges Features that aren't included in the Rare Treasures DVD set, via their original Sony DVD releases (DVD-R for TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941).), instead. That is also the best option for obtaining THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For those who don't have a Blu-ray Player, I would actually recommend getting the 4 Stooges Features that aren't included in the Rare Treasures DVD set, via their original Sony DVD releases (DVD-R for TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941).), instead. That is also the best option for obtaining THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962).

I should have said that myself. I actually purchased the MC set just to get a pressed copy of Time Out for Rhythm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks