"The Three Stooges" from the Farrelly bros.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TerryRL, Mar 25, 2009.

1. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

MGM gets its 'Stooges' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

MGM gets its 'Stooges'
    Penn, Carrey, Del Toro part of studio's plan
    By MICHAEL FLEMING

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are closing in on their cast for "The Three Stooges."
    Studio has set Sean Penn to play Larry, and negotiations are underway with Jim Carrey to play Curly, with the actor already making plans to gain 40 pounds to approximate the physical dimensions of Jerome "Curly" Howard.

The studio is zeroing in on Benicio Del Toro to play Moe.

The film is not a biopic, but rather a comedy built around the antics of the three characters that Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Howard played in the Columbia Pictures shorts.

The quest by the Peter and Bobby Farrelly to harness the project spans more than a decade and three studios. They first tried at Columbia, again at Warner Bros., and finally at MGM, where Worldwide Motion Picture Group chairman Mary Parent championed the cause and bought the WB-owned scripts and made a deal with Stooges rights holders C3.

Production will begin in early fall for a release sometime in 2010. The Farrellys, who wrote the script, are producing with their Conundrum partner Bradley Thomas, and Charlie Wessler.

C3 Entertainment principals Earl and Robert Benjamin will be executive producers.

Project will get underway after Penn completes the Asger Leth-directed Universal/Imagine Entertainment drama "Cartel." He hasn't done a comedy since the 1989 laffer "We're No Angels."

The Farrellys have long had their eyes on Del Toro to play Moe. Del Toro, who's coming off "Che," showed comic chops in the Guy Ritchie-directed "Snatch."

The surprise is the emergence of Carrey to play Curly. Howard established the character as a seminal physical comedian, from the first time he appeared in the first Stooges short in 1934 until he suffered a stroke on the set in 1946.

2. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Yeah, I don't believe a single word of any of that.

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Worst. Casting. Ever.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I suspect this story was supposed to be posted next Wednesday, April 1.

5. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
    Sounds like a winner to me. [​IMG]

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

agreed. but i will take them over Will "Over compensating" Farrell any day.......

7. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    There's a previous thread already running on this:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...rely-bros.html

Regardless, it still stinks. You can remake characters (IE: Batman, Tarzan, James Bond, etc), but you can't remake people. That's why movies of the Honeymooners and the Little Rascals were such pieces of BS. Jackie Gleason was why you liked the Honeymooners, not Ralph Kramden.

The Three Stooges were people & included Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Shemp Howard & Curly Howard. Their mannerisms, their faces, their voices & their unique chemistry are what defined these characters.

Someone else aping those mannerisms and voices is better suited to a 5 minute skit on SNL or In Living Color, which is where Carry should do this schtick.

The Farrelly brothers might as well just make a movie about Jim Carry doing an impression of Sean Penn and vice versa. It would be the same thing as this silly movie will be.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think Penn and Del Toro are excellent actors and I like Carrey in the dramatic roles that I've seen him do. All three have succesfully played lead roles in biopics before. I would think that this movie would focus on the lives of the Stooges (rather than concentrating on recreating their shorts) so it's not like they have become the onscreen Three Stooges for 2 hours to be succesful in the roles.

All that being said, I don't believe one word about any of them being in the movie. [​IMG]

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Del Toro showed his comic chops in "Snatch"? Where? His character in that film was peripheral at the most. He hardly had enough screen time to develop a character, let alone show "comic chops".

This thing sounds like a waste of time and film. Sean Penn as Larry? Good Grief! It has to be an early April fools joke.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What did they pick these names out of a hat???

11. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida

From the article, "The film is not a biopic, but rather a comedy built around the antics of the three characters that Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Howard played in the Columbia Pictures shorts. "

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I know what the article says but I can't see them making a movie where they get Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro as the leads (assuming that's true) and they spend more time recreating Three Stooges shorts rather than focusing on their lives and is a somewhat more dramatic movie.

13. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    This would be a pretty interesting movie if it were a Biopic. But as a remake, Ill pass.

14. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    This ill-conceived project may very well be taking off. But...

The L.A. Times suggests an objective angle on the story.

Excerpt from the L. A. Times...

An unrelated coincidence (?)... the story broke in Variety, in a news item written by Michael Fleming. Fleming work-for-hire authored "The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons" book for C3 back in 1999.

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm also on the WTF! bandwagon in regards to the casting but I must say i'm almost thankful that Judd "can't do anything but crude frat humor" Apatow isn't doing it.

I have a friend who's OBSESSED with the Stooges and she would storm the studio with shotguns and grenades if she found out he was doing it.

Hell she still might lol.

16. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

The only good thing coming out of this project is the Three Stooges shorts coming out on DVD in proper order.

17. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

You have a female friend who likes the Stooges? [​IMG]

18. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Yep, we're supposed to go to a Stooges convention in a couple of months. [​IMG]

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I'll eat an entire bowl of peas if this ever happens.
    that LA times articles seems more like the truth then an actual film being made.

I was in a store yesterday and the guy in the dvd section calls
    me over and says, "trivia quesion."
    "where were the 3 stooges born?"
    "Philly?"
    so he starts telling me where the were orn and about a new movie
    getting made with all the info that we see in this topic.
    I tried to convince him it was an early april fool joke but he was
    having none of it.

20. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine