What's new

The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2 (1937 - 1939) (1 Viewer)

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Well,we knew it was coming and Vol. 2 is here!!! Per Classicflix:

**Sony** has announced a May 27th release date for The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2 (1937 - 1939). Volume 2 will continue the chronological format in what may be the best of all sets released in this series with shorts like Cash and Carry, Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb, Tassels in the Air, Termites of 1938 and Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise to name a few. It will retail for $24.96, but is available at Classicflix.com for only $19.99. However, for 3 days only (until March 20th), we'll have it for the SPECIAL PRE-ORDER PRICE of $17.99. Details below.

Disc 1:

* Back to the Woods
* Cash and Carry
* Dizzy Doctors
* Goofs and Saddles
* Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb
* Playing the Ponies
* The Sitter-Downers
* Tassels in the Air
* Three Dumb Clucks
* Violent is the Word For Curly
* Wee Wee Monsieur
* Grips, Grunts and Groans
* Termites of 1938

Disc 2:

* A Ducking They Did Go
* Calling All Curs
* Flat Foot Stooges
* Mutts to You
* Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise
* Saved by the Belle
* Three Little Sew and Sews
* Three Missing Links
* Three Sappy People
* We Want Our Mummy
* Yes, We Have No Bonanza

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
That's great! And now instantly I start worrying whether there will be a Volume 3!

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
This is great news... I am still waiting for it to show up on Sony's website before i can officially start eye poking everyone i see...
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

But nonetheless this is great news and i cannot wait to watch Yes, We Have No Bonanza

Im curious to read what they're saying on the Three Stooges.net website but moronically and through fault of my own i have have been banned from that site because i told some people to go back on-topic on a thread, which i shouldnt have done because its rude but i was too pig headed to admit it, i just hope im not banned forever...:frowning:

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

According to Stooged and Confused' (threestooges.net) Sony contact, the first volume had 12000 units sold, which isnt that many and they're still going ahead with volume 2 so if they can have the same amount sold for this volume than i think volume 3 will happen... And really how many of those people will say "No, this volume doesnt contain ANY of my favourites i think i'll pass?"

Real Name
David
Only 12,000?!? That seems really low. If that's accurate, they may be coming out with volume 2 because it was already in the works before volume one hit the streets. Either way, I hope it's a money maker for Sony so that we can get the complete run.

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

It doesnt seem right at all. I mean the set remained in the top 100, on a site (amazon.com) which sells thousands upon thousands of dvds, and even now 7months after its release its still sitting pretty at #662 at the time of this writing and that just one online store what about all the other online stores, shops etc... I dont believe that 12000 units unless one unit is the equivalent of 100 dvds?

Maybe i am reading too much into this, a few hours ago volume 2 went on pre-order on amazon and was at # 2005 and now its #1850... Not bad for a set which has 2 months to release date and is thousands of places above other dvds...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Yeah, something doesn't ring true about the 12,000 figure.

Just taking the US alone, with a population of 300 million, that would mean only one in 25,000 people bought it .... ?!?!?! The Stooges can't be that unpopular! (Or can they?)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
First let me say that I know nothing about the accuracy of the Sony sales figure so I am not addressing that issue specifically...

However, I have a very close contact at one of the major home video divisions and can assure you that most people on this forum think that classic and catalogue titles are selling in far higher quantities than they actually are, with extremely rare exceptions.

I think because we're film buffs we assume everyone else has the same passion we do.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I only wonder how many units those lame sets with only 4 Stooges shorts (plus the colorized versions) sold.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I said it in the other Stooges thread but at this point, I think fans should assume that 12,000 is the real number (whether it is or isn't) and buy Volume 2 as soon as they can. If there's not a big drop off in the sales between the two volumes, Sony will see that they at least have a dedicated fanbase to keep selling to and they'll hopefully continue to release the sets. If there is a large drop off in sales between the two volumes, they may abandon it.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I find it hard to believe Sony would consider anything that has a potential retail value of $240k (12k x $20), never mind what their cut would be. Maybe I've been pegging them all wrong all these years...

The first volume was totally excellent, and I am certainly in for the following one(s).

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Let's face it, if there were poor sales it is because the Stooges had dozens of botched rip off releases before this and the average person didn't know that this set was any different.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Exactly!!

I've been in several stores that only had the old over-priced shoddy collections in stock. I was also at a movie-collectibles convention last weekend and people were stilling selling bootleg stooge sets and in at least one situation where neither the seller nor the buyer knew anything about these latest releases (...and these people are fans!)

If Sony decides to up the ante and put a little bit of advertising in to these sets, these would be HUGE sellers. After all, there is a reason that it's hard to find a single store of any type that doesn't carry some product or other featuring "The Three Stooges", whether it be DVDs, posters, T-Shirts, Books, etc...., etc....

WadeM

Supporting Actor

You're right. The Digital Bits one time posted sales figures of various DVDs, and the classic titles' sales numbers were embarrassing next to the new stuff.

I'll buy as many of these quality dvds as they release, but it's a shame they're coming after all of the shoddy stuff that came before.

J Hall

Agent
Real Name
John Hall
I think Sony should do some sort of promotion with Turner Classic Movies on the Stooges sets.
Fox did a 2-day promotion with TCM promoting their "Ford at Fox" DVD set. It was telling that Fox chose TCM to promote the Ford set rather than their own Fox Movie Channel.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

If they're going with three years at a time...

Vol. 3 - 1940-1942 (23 shorts)
Vol. 4 - 1943-1945 (21 shorts)
Vol. 5 - 1946-1948 (25 shorts)
Vol. 6 - 1949-1951 (24 shorts)
Vol. 7 - 1952-1954 (22 shorts)
Vol. 8 - 1955-1957 (24 shorts)
Vol. 9 - 1958-1959 (8 shorts) - I guess this would be packaged with other stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks