What's new

The Third Man: OOP? (1 Viewer)

Michael DK

Auditioning
I just rented The Third Man from Netflix and was so blown away I wanted to pick up the DVD at Amazon, but it appears to be out of print. Does anyone know if it will be re-released soon?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Unless your thinking of another film, The Third Man is listed as being still in print on Criterion's site.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, it really does seem to be out of print. It's only available from sellers at Amazon, for a minimum of something like $60. A few other sites have it listed as sold out, temporarily unavailable, etc. I've owned it for more than 6 years, but I had no idea it was going OOP. Is Criterion going to be re-releasing it? Or have the rights reverted to someone else? I'm really surprised by this.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Criterion still has the rights. They have confirmed to me that they are working on a special edition, and had planned to release it in November. Obviously, something has delayed it, but I hope and expect that it will turn up in 2007.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Hopefully the new edition will include both cuts of the film... but otherwise, the existing DVD is pretty great. I'll double dip no matter what, though, since it's one of my favorite films.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ditto that! I hadn't heard about this upcoming SE, but I'll gladly double-dip as TTM is my favorite movie! (I suppose we'll get a commentary track on this new disc?)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is in my top 5 films, so I'll buy this. I'd sell the current one, but I think I'll give it to a friend or family member. The Third Man is a great and essential film, so a Criterion 2nd Edition is fully justified. I have no doubt that they'll pull out the stops for this.

Knowing their excellence, this ought to be a 2-disc edition with the great "Shadowing the Third Man" documentary.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
If this is true, it seems like CC is reworking all of their early titles. Could the early Hitchcock's (39 Steps & lady Vanishes) be far behind? What other early titles might they be reworking?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

That's great. I haven't watched it in a while, but as I remember it, the transfer on the current disc still holds up pretty well, even though it was one of their earlier ones.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Columbia House still has it. If you go that route, go to the DVDTalk Club forum and find out about enrollment codes, special offers, how to minimize expenses, etc. I got my copy there for about $5 when all costs are averaged out.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Huh, I wasn't aware there were two versions of the film. Learn something every day I guess. How are the two cuts different?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Criterion won't re-author all their early titles. On their blog, they've said:

"Why do we rerelease a title? What’s next, and are there rebate programs? I actually answered this in detail in the March 2006 newsletter. In short, we only rerelease a film if we can do a significantly better job with either the film transfer, the supplements, or hopefully both. We know there are a good two-dozen early releases (Andrei Rublev and Shock Corridor, to name just a couple) that need to be redone, and we’ll probably get to them at a rate of three to four a year. I tried to find a rebate program for customers who already owned the discs. We had one for Charade. It didn’t work. The participation was very low. The cost was very high, and we couldn’t effectively price the disc without competing with our retailers in a way we found uncomfortable."

The known "in the works" re-releases are:

Andrei Rublev
Shock Corridor
The Third Man
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Salo

There are also rumors of re-authoring High & Low.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

There are "British" and "American" cuts of the film, with different openings. The current British version opens with a narration by Carol Reed as if he is telling a story he'd heard about Holly Martins' search for Harry Lime. The first time I saw TTM, it was an atrocious VHS of the American version. That version featured Joseph Cotten as Holly Martins saying essentially the same thing Carol Reed says in the original British version. There are probably other differences, but that was the main thing I remembered.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD has the Cotten-narrated American opening as a bonus feature. David O. Selznick made a few other edits for the original US release, but I don't see much need for both cuts in their entirety to be on a new DVD release.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Well, I'm sure some of us would disagree. The two cuts are different enough for TCM to air them both, and since the DVD format can handle multiple versions of a film via seamless branching, why not include both?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Oh, TCM has aired both versions? I didn't realize that.

Has Criterion ever done branching before? Off the top of my head I can't think of a time they've done that, though I could certainly be wrong.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

That's funny. I just watched it from Netflix as well and had a similar reaction. It was an awesome film. Now I'm trying to watch 8 1/2 and it literally put my to sleep. Hopefully it will draw me in soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks