The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun Now Available!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kronosis, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Kronosis

Kronosis Agent

[​IMG]
    Wow. I can't believe this has finally come to DVD!
    70 out of 78 episodes on 10 discs.
    Has anyone bought this yet? Does anyone know if it includes any Billboards or other extras?
    Considering it's 4:15am here, I'll write more about this later!

2. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

I finished watching this set around six months ago, and have seen a lot of westerns since so my memory is a little foggy. I don't think there were any bonus materials, but it was a solid uncut release with above public domain video and audio quality. I would recommend especially to anyone who likes westerns. Rory Calhoun just appeared in an episode of Zane Grey Theater, which I am watching right now. I feel that this is one of the most interesting and unusual westerns that I have seen in a long while and urge everyone to pick it up - great show!

3. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I also picked it up I believe sometime late last year and watched it on and off until finally finishing it last month. It was really good but you could see it was running out of gas at the end. The last couple of episodes repeated actual footage from previous episodes while reworking the plot and characters a bit. They must have been running out of money and knew the end was near.

If you like the Texan I would recommend watching the Restless Gun. They are similar in that they both center around I guy with a fast gun that goes from town to town helping people out. John Payne plays the character from a bit more of a sympathetic angle that I preferred but they are both good.

4. Kronosis

Kronosis Agent

Jeez, I feel like I just fell off the proverbial Turnip Truck. I definitely missed this one somehow!

5. stuartfanning

stuartfanning Stunt Coordinator

Stuart Fanning
    Good release. Decent picture. Pity they didn't include any spots that Rory Calhoun did for first season sponsors: Viceroy Cigarettes!

6. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I just finished The Texan set and I liked it very much. I was wondering why they left out the remaining few episodes?

7. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

My understanding is that they just couldn't find good enough prints of the remaining episodes.

8. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    If it's only 8 remaining episodes, I think most fans would've understood and appreciated episode inclusion of less than stellar quality. Just to have them all combined. A pity, but still a great set well worth getting!

9. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    That is where I am with The Texan set. In this case, I am happy to have the set, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the remaining 8 episodes if they became available.

10. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    The series, originally produced by Desilu/Rorvic Productions, which later would be owned by Paramount and now CBS TV Distribution, would benefit from a retooling by TMG/Shout! by securing the missing eight episodes from CBSTD to make it a truly complete series set.

11. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I love it, one of my top western series and would buy the whole thing over again if they included the missing episodes - and if they could correct the brightness. It's way too bright, almost as if by mistake so, and a bit annoying that the picture must be darkened everytime you watch it when I can't imagine this would be problematic for the manufacturers/company to do. If this isn't corrected beforehand, I'd imagine it's also hard to sell it to TV channels where it really deserves to be seen again. It's that good a western show, yes.

12. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I can't understand why releases have contrast/brightness issues. I am a videographer and this kind of correction is very simple. It's like these people never heard of a waveform monitor to adjust their picture within specifications. :huh:

13. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    That's what I would imagine too yes that it's easy to fix, it seems like a case of just pushing the right buttons and it's done. The rest of the picture looks good enough even for broadcast, in my opinion.

14. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I guess it's a matter of them wanting to put the least amount of time and money into it. Too bad.

15. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

That, and the fact that CBS Studios no longer seems to own or care for this program.