What's new

The terrible value of ringtones (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Something like that.. my kids had someone at school who had the "It's so FLUFFY!" message tone. That's it. 3 seconds long. 99 cents. No freaking way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There are plenty of apps that allow home made ringtones. Also if you have GarageBand you can make your own too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
All of the above is true. However, it doesn't dismiss the point that selling 5 second clips for $1 is insanity. And while you can make them in iTunes, last I checked, most of the ringtones - which are often short clips from films (Despicable Me has 5 in the top 10) are not something you can create within ITunes ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
RingTones and SMS are the two worst values in technology. Have been for years.

That said: I've made a handful of custom ringtones, because I'm cheap :), and it's a good bit of work to get it just right. Have to find a section of the song that works well, get just the right start and stop points, set the fade in and out well, and round-trip it through syncing a few times to get the volume adjusted. It takes me an hour or three to get a ringtone I'm happy with.

Paying $1.29 to get one done well that you really enjoy...I could see buying one to save the trouble.

And that said...Audiko.com is a great source of free ringtones!

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
A 2 liter bottle of soda/diet soda can often be had for less than a 20 oz bottle. Often the price of a product/service has more to do with what the consumer is willing to pay for convenience, or other intangible reason, rather than the cost to produce said product/service. It will always be that way.

It is not that I don't agree that they are overpriced, I certainly do. For the few ringtones that I have, I made them myself.

Now, if you really want to get a good "overpriced" thread started, lets talk about printer ink....

-Keith

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Right and the company that tried to counteract that filed for bankruptcy. A shame.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
mattCR said:
most of the ringtones - which are often short clips from films (Despicable Me has 5 in the top 10) are not something you can create within ITunes ;)
I have plenty of film clips I created in iTunes. Just need to be able to get an audio file to the computer first.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

All of the above is true. However, it doesn't dismiss the point that selling 5 second clips for $1 is insanity. And while you can make them in iTunes, last I checked, most of the ringtones - which are often short clips from films (Despicable Me has 5 in the top 10) are not something you can create within ITunes ;)

http://audiko.net/genres/Soundtrack

Not as well edited, but free :)

http://audiko.net/ringtone/Agnes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks