What's new

The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3, anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
If you have Comcast, the movie is available "On Demand" in the FREE movies section in HD and WIDESCREEN!!

It is available until 7/31 to view.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco

Thanks Doug,

Unfortunately, I don't have Comcast, but I really want the title for my DVD collection...

Thanks for the info, though!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

I'll ask about it again when I go to the studio shortly. However, it
looks fairly obvious that there is no remaster planned.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
(Howdy, Ron!)

Spun the 1974 pic last night (interestingly, I got the June 9 DVD--strangely not listed on DVD Empire--from Netflix yesterday; the design copyright year on the DVD is 2009; frustratingly non-anamo) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of both Denzel and Tony (he's just as talented of a shooter in his own right as bro Ridley and less pretentious) and can't wait to see their take on this. Lots of cinematic intertextuality going on with D being cast in the remake--John Q/Dog Day Afternoon, Inside Man/Marathon Man and The Siege all came to mind while watching.

Will be very interesting to see what Tony--who had an anti-Semitic moment in The Fan--will do with the mayoral shtick.

"Gesundheit."

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Apart from the fact that they both have the word "Man" in the title I can't see any connection or "intertextuality" between these two movies. Totally different in every respect.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re "Is that a joke?"

Ahh, yes--it doesn't surprise me that that parenthetical draws a response (likely from a Ridley partisan). No, to answer your (mildly condescending) question, I'm not joking. Neither should either of us be interested in having an off-topic argument (which I think is where this would head based on your tone) in a thread with Ron and Crawdaddy present! :D

Re "Apart from the fact that they both have the word "Man" in the title I can't see any connection or "intertextuality" between these two movies. Totally different in every respect."

I disagree but am disinclined to argue my perspective if you already feel they are "totally different." I was reminded of the debt/homage to Dog Day Afternoon that Nick Cassavetes acknowledges in his John Q commentary. Similarly for me, IM's storyline is broadly informed by MM. Both are New York-set thrillers that involve ill-gotten gains (diamonds) and retribution against a Nazi war criminal. IIRC Spike even mentions MM on his IM commentary.

Perhaps my punctuation was misleading, but the more important point was less what I and other critics see those two films broadly having in common with each other than what came to mind about both while watching Pelham: they, too, are either set in or have a flavor of 1970s New York, its ethnicities and tensions. In the case of IM, a hostage crisis is involved wherein the perps' initial intentions are for no one to get hurt despite their disingenuous threats to the contrary. I like Todd McCarthy's comment in his IM review and find it relevant (but not as applicable) WRT Sargent's work on Pelham: ". . . the substance of the film consists as much in its texture and details as its plot."

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco

Thanks Ron.

When is the repackaged version supposed to street? I suppose I'll just pick that one up...I'll check Amazon too...

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Per Ron's post 99, the repackage is skedded for June 9. But, per my post 105, I received it via Nf yesterday and DVD Empire (nor Amazon) currently shows the June 9 re-release.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

And FWIW I think the answer to this is "no": I suggest waiting to see what MGM-via-Fox does when SPHE releases Tony's version likely around T-giving.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco
Thanks a million, Paul -- I think I will indeed wait for the remake to come out on home video and then see what Fox has up their sleeve for the original. Good point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

I don't think they have anything up their sleeve.

Why release a repackaged this week and then a remaster in
5 months?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
MGM has done it before, as I previously stated. When Invasion (the Nicole Kidman remake) was released theatrically, MGM re-released the same grungy DVD of "Body Snatchers" (with cover art resembling Spielberg's War of the Worlds) only to announce an SE of the '78 film. So, yeah, I'm thinking when Scott's remake hits DVD later this year we may yet see an SE of the original, especially if it's a hit. On another subject, anyone else notice how Fox dropped the "anamorphic" label from the aspect ratio box on the specs grid? I think they've done that so as to be able to re-release old transfers in "re-packagings" and trick people into thinking its a new remaster.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That would require more studio cooperation than we typically see. In order for that to happen, MGM would likely have to forgo having their own SKU on shelves and instead enter a royalties agreement with Sony. Seems very unlikely to me.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco

I'm just going by what Paul suggested, that perhaps when the REMAKE hits home video, that's when the remastered "special edition" will street, as well...:confused:

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco

Interesting, Luisito; this reiterates what Paul was saying may happen with the release of the remake. Perhaps fans who don't own a copy of the original should indeed wait it out until November...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks