What's new

The Sword In The Stone 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Excuse me, but when someone begins a post with "Oh here we go again" and moves on to "pure nonsense" I don't think hissy fit is so far off the mark nor do I find it personal or terrible. I realize that you're sensitive to these things for whatever reasons, but Foxy Muldur and I have sparred like this many times - it is neither personal nor offensive, but if you're telling ME to stop then tell him as well. Thank you in advance.
It is personal for at least one of you and both of you need to stop it now!

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
Just a simple question: Have you seen this transfer? Just curious. :) I haven't seen it, BTW, so can offer no opinion yay or nay and I'm certainly not going to be silly enough to offer an opinion based on a screen cap from who knows where taken who knows how - sorry, just won't play that game.
I know the who the where and the how and can assure you the screen grabs are very accurate. As for this seeing it in motion nonsense, it will be the same but at 24fps (or maybe 18fps) and still with loss of detail.
What is it that makes you so qualified to denounce screen grabs of this quality especially when the guys doing it know exactly what they are doing. Michael Mackenzie who wrote The Land Of Whimsy article is well qualified to make judgment as is his brother and they both say it's bloody awful and they are using screen grabs.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
tele1962 said:
What is it that makes you so qualified to denounce screen grabs of this quality especially when the guys doing it know exactly what they are doing. Michael Mackenzie who wrote The Land Of Whimsy article is well qualified to make judgment as is his brother and they both say it's bloody awful and they are using screen grabs.
Well qualified?

I've got a degree in Chemistry - It doesn't make me Antoine Lavoisier.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
I know the who the where and the how and can assure you the screen grabs are very accurate. As for this seeing it in motion nonsense, it will be the same but at 24fps (or maybe 18fps) and still with loss of detail.
All i can add is that i have not bought the following titles based purely on screencaps, it was very obvious in the caps that all had some issues i know i could not live with, either digital noise reduction gone too far or edge enhancement or a mixture of both giving them a processed look.

The Big Lebowski
Predator - Ultimate Hunter Edition
The Longest Day
Apollo 13
First Blood
Spartacus
Terminator 2
The Thing
The Aristocats ( The Channel 5 broadcast which did not use excessive DNR looked much better than the caps )
Goldeneye
Top Gun
The Untouchables
Total Recall ( Lionsgate original release )
Waterworld
Mission Impossible 2
The Killer ( upscale )
Escape From new York ( UK )

Here's the thing, reviews can be all over the place especially the Disney animated titles which too often get a pass because reviewers seem to judge film grain in animation as bad and like the smooth approach Disney is taking, i do not trust reviews of Disney films at most sites, an image says a thousand words, especially if you know how to read the image, having spent several years doing screencaps for my own site i feel i know what i am doing.

I love photography too, it's a passion, i know a processed looking image from a natural one, many photographers do love to manipulate their images but the best know how to keep them looking good and natural, same principle applies to moving images and films although photographers like to take a clean image whereas film can have grain, all of it should look natural though.

I also bought these ones below based on the quality of the screencaps, i could tell they were good albeit some were not perfect and i did not regret the purchase, it may be different for others but i find i can tell a lot more when i see a well taken screencap from a blu ray disc.

Breakfast At Tiffany's
Terminator 2 - HD DVD edition
The Thing - HD DVD edition
Total Recall
Wild At Heart
L.A. Confidential
The Mask Of Zorro
High Tension

Sometimes with Disney i have just jumped in and replaced my DVD edition, i did this with Bambi and Dumbo, disappointed to say the least, i actually thought the DVD edition of Bambi looked more film like than the "blu ray smooth out the film grain edition" and that's despite the fact it had better encoding, i dislike Disney's approach to their classic films, it's not just film grain removal but some other issues can be seen such as the removal of carefully animated cels, look at the Alice in Wonderland thread for more on that, it's the destruction of the original animators work.

I now do not purchase Disney classics at all, i am just not pleased with their work, it's not restoration as we know it.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
BJQ1972 said:
Well qualified?

I've got a degree in Chemistry - It doesn't make me Antoine Lavoisier.
What a ridiculous answer.

David is as you probably know a DVD/Blu Ray Author/Compressionist as well as ISF Qualfied, also reviewing for the number one UK review site HDTVtest, these guys know what they are looking at.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
What a ridiculous answer.

David is as you probably know a DVD/Blu Ray Author/Compressionist as well as ISF Qualfied, also reviewing for the number one UK review site HDTVtest, these guys know what they are looking at.
I still rather judge for myself!

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
I still rather judge for myself!
It won't be any different from the screen grabs posted, but hell it's your money.

PS
Soon to be Disney's

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
It won't be any different from the screen grabs posted, but hell it's your money.

PS
Soon to be Disney's
I wouldn't say that as our own reviewer gave this BD a good grade. However, you're right, it's my money.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
I wouldn't say that as our own reviewer gave this BD a good grade. However, you're right, it's my money.
He got it very wrong i'm afraid. Like has been said it's time some sort of recognised qualification for reviewers was made available and this is not directed at anyone in particular. I think this would aid and recognise those who do reviews, also again not pointing fingers but all reviews should say what equipment the review was done on and a basic requirement should be that it has been THX/ISF Calibrated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
He got it very wrong i'm afraid. Like has been said it's time some sort of recognised qualification for reviewers was made available and this is not directed at anyone in particular. I think this would aid and recognise those who do reviews, also again not pointing fingers but all reviews should say what equipment the review was done on and a basic requirement should be that it has been THX/ISF Calibrated.
That is a matter of opinion that I will determine with my own eyes.

You already pointed a finger at our reviewer!

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
That is a matter of opinion that I will determine with my own eyes.

You already pointed a finger at our reviewer!
Again not opinion but scientific fact as has been shown.

I pointed the finger saying he got this one wrong.

Maybe he or you can post the Screen Grabs where this looks great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
Again not opinion but scientific fact as has been shown.

I pointed the finger saying he got this one wrong.
It's not scientific fact to me! Anyhow, enough with the tit for tat for me, as I, along with some others will formulate our opinions on actually watching the BD.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
It's not scientific fact to me!
Well that will always be the case for some............some people believe the Earth is flat and we never visited the moon, I guess we will just have to live with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
Well that will always be the case for some............some people believe the Earth is flat and we never visited the moon, I guess we will just have to live with it.
You kill me. :rolling-smiley:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Can everyone stop bickering long enough to talk about the aspect ratio? What does it look like?

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Ethan Riley said:
Can everyone stop bickering long enough to talk about the aspect ratio? What does it look like?
Not bickering discussing. maybe a little heated at times though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks