THE STUDENT PRINCE (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Doug Bull said:
Anthony,
You've got me scratching my head.
I'm probably 100% wrong, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the Todd-AO version on DVD, other than the Anamorphic Special Edition disaster.
Is it a proper Fox release or is my deteriorating memory finally cracking up? (it's been a bit of a worry lately)

There was a roadshow version on Laserdisc, but I can't remember (see there I go again) if it was from a 70mm source.

ps. Is it possible I saw you at the State Theatre in St Kilda Road the other week?
The DVD has:

Disc 11955 Cinemascope feature (2.55 aspect ratio)Commentary by Ted Chapin and Hugh FordinTheatrical teaserSing-along subtitlesSeparate chapter list for songs only with Play All feature
Disc 21955 Todd AO Version (2.20 aspect ratio)Commentary by Shirley Jones and Nick RedmanCinemascope vs. Todd AO featuretteVintage stage excerpts: Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' performed by Gordon MacRae, People Will Say We're in Love performed by Gordon MacRae & Florence HendersonTheatrical teaser and theatrical trailerStill galleries: Behind the ScenesLobby cards and one-sheetsThe Miracle of Todd-AOThe March of Todd-AO

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mine is a single disc, 4110865, from the earliest days of DVD (Fox, NTSC),. with a huge range of extra features ... animated menu, scene selection and subtitles -- you can see they really went to town!
From memory, the Cinemascope version was released later. This Todd-AO version still looks pretty decent even though it's not anamorphic .. it looks hugely better than the Todd AO version on Disc 2 of the special edition.
OF course, Shirley Jones's commentary on that later version is just one of the finest voice-overs ever, on par with her voice-over for Carousel -- it's up with Charade and The Harvey Girls .....
cheers

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for that Anthony.
Now I know I'm going bonkers.

That one has completely escaped my memory. (God, I'm worried now that I might have even once owned a copy :blink:)

RolandL,
The contents you have displayed appear to be the 50th Anniversary edition and not the single DVD that Anthony has.

Doug.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I think I found it.
Is this your disc Anthony?

oklahoma1.jpg
oklahoma2.jpg

It was released on 27th April 1999 and is, amazingly, still available at Amazon.

Not sure how the Student Prince found his way to Oklahoma. :)
These threads do have a habit of wandering at times.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And , Doug, as a neighbour, here's my email .. [email protected] .. in case you're up this way at any time, welcome to drop in for an espresso (I roast my own beans) and a look at baby pics (our first grandchild arrived two days ago .. Oscar Anthony!)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Congratulations on the arrival of your first grandchild. May he grow up to love movies, even black & white silent films; and may he be a Student Prince who may one day visit Oklahoma!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Oscar"?
Did you have a say in the naming?
Enjoy every available moment with your grandson, because believe me, they grow up so quickly.

For HTF members and other Movie Lovers, Anthony lives just up the road from Hanging Rock. (or is that down the road)
I believe he often goes there for Picnics. ;)

Anthony, If you want to edit and remove your e-mail address from this open board, I've already made a note. Thanks for that personal info.

Doug.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If you take Oscar Anthony on a Picnic at Hanging Rock, make sure he's not dressed in white clothing. Being a male might also work in his favor. But I'd still keep an eye on him...
Again, best wishes, and enjoy him for many years to come.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks Roland.
It would be interesting to compare those examples featuring the 2005 DVDs and the earlier Laserdisc with the 1999 DVD that Anthony has.
It's quite possible that the 1999 DVD came from the same source as the laserdisc.

Anyhow it's all pretty irrelevant seeing that we are likely to get a brand new restored Blu-Ray version in the near future.
I for one can't wait.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the good wishes ...
No, I didn't have a say in the name but Oscar is a pretty good name
And by chance I happen to live just a couple of miles from Hanging Rock so it's a logical picnic-place! In fact I play Petanque each week at the Hanging Rock Petanque ground, which is straight underneath that famous feature ......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks