What's new

THE STUDENT PRINCE (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Isn't it about time that that The Student Prince was released on dvd and bluray? The last release was in the days of VHS. Also SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS would be very welcome on bluray.It is truly one of the most memorable musicals ever. What also happened to the Rogers and Hammerstein collection (South Pacific,Oklahoma,Carousel,King and I and State Fair) that were listed for release in the United Kingdom on bluray more than a year ago but never emanated as promised. I know that South Pacific is out there and Oklahoma is due in 2014 but when are the rest due out.? I did read that THE KING AND I was due for release in Europe earlier this year but have never been able to find a copy on bluray. It is a pity that 90% of the films on bluray are not worthy of a release in that medium. It is time that the studios gave the majority of film buffs the films that they want to see again and again rather than release crappy films that few people will buy.

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
The Student Prince was released on DVD a couple of years ago by Warner Archive. It's one of their made to order titles.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The Warner Archive DVD of "The Student Prince" is only $9.39 at ImportCDs during their present sale.

Being Anamorphic it looks a lot better than the old letterboxed Laserdisc.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Thanks everyone for that.I do have a copy but I don't think it was Warner's release. Warner's absolutely refuse to post ( or ship ,as you Americans strangely say ) dvds overseas.They have a lot of MOD films but unless you can find someone else selling them on the internet ,you cannot buy any from Warner's directly. Seems that they would rather lose sales and goodwill rather than post overseas. It is no wonder that people buy illegal copies. It is up to you Warners.Incidentally why do Americans say 'shipping' when posting items. Few items are sent by ship any more . If you want to send an item you go to the POST office in order to send it.Not a SHIPPING office. Does not make sense. Can anyone explain why you use the term 'shipping'? Other stupid names that are also used world wide: VIDEO (as in video shops) when there is no longer any video. FILMS when film has all but disappeared.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
cinerama10 said:
Thanks everyone for that.I do have a copy but I don't think it was Warner's release. Warner's absolutely refuse to post ( or ship ,as you Americans strangely say ) dvds overseas.They have a lot of MOD films but unless you can find someone else selling them on the internet ,you cannot buy any from Warner's directly. Seems that they would rather lose sales and goodwill rather than post overseas. It is no wonder that people buy illegal copies. It is up to you Warners.Incidentally why do Americans say 'shipping' when posting items. Few items are sent by ship any more . If you want to send an item you go to the POST office in order to send it.Not a SHIPPING office. Does not make sense. Can anyone explain why you use the term 'shipping'? Other stupid names that are also used world wide: VIDEO (as in video shops) when there is no longer any video. FILMS when film has all but disappeared.
Try importcds.com. They carry all the Warner Archive releases and at a pretty good discount. Of course overseas shipping is a bit more but shouldn't raise the price over what the Warner site charges.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't know why the terms "ship" and "shipping" have taken hold, but that's just what it's commonly called in the U.S. There are many such examples. Comedian Steven Wright used to muse about why it is that we park our cars on a driveway but drive our cars on a parkway.

I will take exception to your comment about the use of the term "video" though. "Video" does not just mean a VHS tape (if that's what you had in mind). It is a proper term for moving pictures (in any format), the equivalent of the term "audio" for sound. Video may be provided in a variety of formats: videotape (VHS or Betamax), laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray disc, digital file, etc.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
News to me (and very welcome indeed) that Warners has formally announced the release of Oklahoma! next year. Does anyone have any details?
I'm still waiting for Carousel as well .....

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
AnthonyClarke said:
News to me (and very welcome indeed) that Warners has formally announced the release of Oklahoma! next year. Does anyone have any details?
I'm still waiting for Carousel as well .....
Oklahoma and Carousel are not Warner - they are 20th Century Fox releases.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I wasn't commenting on whether it was Warners release or not ... I know it's a Fox title.
But in his original post, Cineramoto stated "I know that South Pacific is out there and Oklahoma is due in 2014'
He didn't state it was a Warner release. Just that he knew it was due in 2014.
That's exciting news. So I ask again .. does anyone have any details?

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
AnthonyClarke said:
I wasn't commenting on whether it was Warners release or not ... I know it's a Fox title.
So, what's this supposed to mean?

"News to me (and very welcome indeed) that Warners has formally announced the release of Oklahoma!"

Is that hard for you to swallow your pride and to admit that you were wrong?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Didier R said:
So, what's this supposed to mean?

"News to me (and very welcome indeed) that Warners has formally announced the release of Oklahoma!"

Is that hard for you to swallow your pride and to admit that you were wrong?
Maybe Warners is the name of some guy who made the announcement? :) And by the way there has been no formal announcement. If there had, reliable sources would have picked it up.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
While we are at it, where is the box set with the three versions of Showboat?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh dear, how terrible .. I said Warners by accdident. Isn't that just shocking.I do apologise most profusely to anyone who got totally confused by such an awful awful error.
How could such things happen? I have slapped my wrist and please give me time to respond properly if you wish to challenge me to a duel since you seem to think this was so terrible.
But to get back to my original question which hasn't been answered ... when was the 2014 release announced, as mentioned in the opening of this thread?" I've been waiting for so long for this that I just don't care who releases it!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This may be old news to some, but there was an announcement at blu-ray.com that a BD Rogers and Hammerstein set is soon to be announced in the UK. Of course, the titles are THE SOUND OF MUSIC, SOUTH PACIFIC, OKLAHOMA, THE KING AND I, CAROUSEL and STATE FAIR. I'll certainly spring for it, even though I've already got the first two. You know, it might be a spell before the same set is released in the USA. I had my CLEOPATRA BD for a couple years before Fox USA got off it's lazy old butt and released it here.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
If they are presently working on the 70mm 30fps "OKLAHOMA!" and I've heard of no updated news regarding work on "The King and I", "Carousel" and "State Fair" it's most unlikely there will be any action before the middle of next year.

One would think that "OKLAHOMA!" will get it's own release. (first half of next year?)

I'm not sure if Ed was referring to the original UK box set announcement of more than a year ago.
Certainly you would have to make sure the box set contained the 70mm "Oklahoma!" restoration before purchasing.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I did think maybe this was a reference to that nuisance posting by Amazon.co.uk more than a year ago of the Rodgers and Hammerstein box set .. but I'm always optimistic!
Meantime, I have kept my original non-anamorphic DVD of the Todd-AO version which looks ok on the projector -- looks way better than the anamorphic 'special edition' travesty that was last issued on DVD! The Cinemascope version is ok but the Todd AO gives us the better performances!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Anthony,
You've got me scratching my head.
I'm probably 100% wrong, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the Todd-AO version on DVD, other than the Anamorphic Special Edition disaster.
Is it a proper Fox release or is my deteriorating memory finally cracking up? (it's been a bit of a worry lately)

There was a roadshow version on Laserdisc, but I can't remember (see there I go again) if it was from a 70mm source.

ps. Is it possible I saw you at the State Theatre in St Kilda Road the other week?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks