What's new

The Streets of San Francisco... (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I started watcing my set this weekend. It was really great to see this show again. What made it even more fun is that I live in San Francisco so being able to see how the city has changed in 30 years was fun.

I really got a big charge out of seeing the Carol Doda sign that used to be in North Beach near the end of the opening credits of the series (not the pilot). Carol Doda's sign is the one of the woman in a black bikini with the flashing nipples. It's a real quick shot, but it's there. That sign is a piece of San Francisco lore that I've heard about for years but never actually seen it. Until now.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I started watcing my set this weekend. It was really great to see this show again. What made it even more fun is that I live in San Francisco so being able to see how the city has changed in 30 years was fun.
The one and only time I visited San Francisco was in 1976 when this series was originally on the air. I used to watch the show just to see places in the city I remember that I had visited. I will probably break down and buy this set. But like many other people, I am disappointed the season will be split in 2 sets.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yeah, Paramount have already announced the complete season two of "Hawaii Five-0", we want the real deal for TSOSF too!!!! Cut this vol. foolishmess. :frowning:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I didn't even realize until today that Karl Malden is still alive at 95! :cool: My grandfather lived to that age.
Here's a photo of Karl getting a lifetime achievement SAG award from Michael Douglas in 2004:
htf_imgcache_7552.jpeg

Real Name
Christian
Yeah ... he´s still going strong. I read in a german paper when he turned 95 in March that he´s the oldest still living actor who won an Oscar. "A Streetcar Named Desire" in 1951.

And he´s also the longest married actor. He married his wife Mona in December 1938. So next year they have their 70th wedding anniversary !!!!!!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
HenryDuBrow said:
Yeah, Paramount have already announced the complete season two of "Hawaii Five-0", we want the real deal for TSOSF too!!!! Cut this vol. foolishmess. :frowning:
Yes, I'm excited for the Hawaii Five-0 Season 2 news, as it comes only less than 5 months after Season 1's release. Hopefully this bodes well for Streets Of San Francisco Volume 2, which I'm enjoying more and more as I go through Volume 1 (a blind buy). I love the guest stars, the music, the plots, the chemistry between the actors. It's easy to see why this show was a 5-season success. C'mon Paramount, give us more! And while you're at it, bring on Cannon and Barnaby Jones, 2 other QM productions.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i remember this show, and wouldn't mind owning the whole season, so i'll do what i did with perry mason, wait for a bogo sale and then get a split season for the price of one.:)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I've only made it thru the first side of disc 1, but any hesitency I had about picking it up evaporated quickly. I don't think I've seen the show since watching re-runs in the afternoon as a kid in the late 70s- but it is just a great as I always remembered it being. Douglas and Malden have sensational chemistry together, and the production values are top-notch.

The show also looks fantastic, though I suspect these are likely older transfers as I still detect some shimmer and moire at times.

I have no idea why Hawaii 5-0 rates full season sets while this does not. maybe it has to do with the Hawaiian setting being seen as more enticing a lure for the the average consumer in the continetal 48...I dunno. All I know is I'm glad I picked this up, and hopefully a Vol 2 will be forthcoming before the end of the year, and then after that we can just get full season sets like we should have all along

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I started watching the set over the weekend. Really enjoying it. Hopefully the second half of the season will be released soon because I'll be done with this by next weekend. Great show and it really does look great.

I laughed last night while watching "30 Year Pin" as they drove to the hospital they passed a gas station and on the sign gas was 27 cents a gallon. Just struck me as funny seeing that.

Jim

Real Name
Christian
Jim Douglas said:
Hopefully the second half of the season will be released soon because I'll be done with this by next weekend.
Jim
It´s "terrible". If you like something very much, it´s over too soon. I´ll be done already with the set. Great stuff. It´s wonderful to see how Karl Malden and Michael Douglas act together. Hopefully they will bring also again a few extras in the upcoming seasons.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
And Season One wasn't even the best, far from it, the later seasons were the real killers (so to speak). :)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I just watched "45 Minutes From Home" and as he has on other shows (Star Trek, Hawaii Five-0, etc.), William Windom gave another great performance. Not to mention the actress who played the hitchhiker was absolutely gorgeous. I'm curious what other shows she appeared in.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm surprised they couldn't get Malden and Douglas to do some commentaries. The only extra we got in the first set was a 3 minute Army Arched interview with them on the set of the show.

Brian GT

Agent
I actually didn't notice that the season was split. I saw the box on the shelf, and assumed it was the full first season.
I did read the episode list on the back, but wasn't surprised to see the shortened list. I just thought the show had a thirteen episode first season.
Doesn't matter, I haven't seen most of these shows since they originally aired all those years ago.
Keep the seasons coming.
As to why Hawaii Five-0 gets the full season treatment and not Streets? Aside from the obvious money angle, I would guess the suits feel there might be more demand for a series that ran for twelve years verses one that ran for five.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Brian GT said:
As to why Hawaii Five-0 gets the full season treatment and not Streets? Aside from the obvious money angle, I would guess the suits feel there might be more demand for a series that ran for twelve years verses one that ran for five.
Well, when it comes to cop shows Hawaii Five-O is the better of the two series for one thing. :)
That's still no reason to split up seasons of a show like Streets, that only had about 22 shows a year. Even Five-O regularly had 24 episode seasons, except the awful final season (which had only 19 episodes).

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
If they did have Michael Douglas appear in a sequel series, let's just say they'd have to ignore the events of the early 90's TV movie "Back to the Streets of San Francisco" in which Malden returned to reprise his role.

I've been enjoying the first set, but if they are going to release half seasons, they need to be half price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks