The Streets of San Francisco...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Aryn Leroux, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

They're just trying to squeeze every last penny they can out of us. They don't seem to pay any attention to the fact that a majority of the people that vote on TVShowsOnDVD.com say they want season sets. If they can't give us season sets, I won't buy. If everyone else did the same they'd wake up and give us what we want.

2. Chris Muermann

Well, of course I´m also a little disappointed that they split the season in Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. Hopefully Vol. 2 will be out there in the near future. BUT: Let´s all be happy that they finally release the Quinn Martin productions. I´m a great fan of his productions since many years.

I´m living in Germany and finally I can see "Streets" in the original english language and in full length. You know when german TV started "Streets" in the 70´s they cut all the episodes to exactly 45min. for their time slot and of course they dubbed all the episodes in german.

Gladly my english isn´t so bad and after all these years of waiting I´m soooo lucky now that I can see these episodes in good technical quality, without commercials, etc.

I ordered my box from Deep Discount and they sent it to me about a week ago so I´m expecting the box in these days.

I ordered also "The Untouchables". Quinn Martin produced the first season show.

Let´s hope that the other QM productions will see their DVD debut also in our lifetime.

My favourites after "Streets" are "Barnaby Jones", "Cannon", "The FBI", "The Fugitive".

Best wishes from Berlin, Germany

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I looked at the box at Best Buy today. The front has a sticker saying there are 13 episodes, plus the pilot. The back of the box says there are 16 episodes. Are they counting some 2-part shows as separate episodes, or did they change the number of episodes in the set, at the last minute?

4. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Marty, I decided to check on that and counted 14 episodes, including the Pilot, so I guess they made a mistake mentioning 16.

5. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Chris, I remember for some reason Douglas' character name Keller, was changed to Heller, in the German versions. Quite interesting.

6. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Being a fan of other 70's crime shows such as Hawaii Five-0 and The Rockford Files, I bought this DVD set as a blind buy yesterday and watched the pilot last night. From the first moment, there is a clearly apparent chemistry between Michael Douglas and Karl Malden, who effortlessly bring these characters to life. The music was cool, as well as the guest stars (Robert Wagner in particular).

Regarding the set itself, I haven't watched the bonus features but I thought they did a good job on the packaging and menus (aside from the ridiculous 16-episode error in the back text). The prints themselves look crisp and clear, almost as good a job as CBS-Paramount did on the Hawaii Five-0 set.

I'm definitely looking forward to viewing the rest of the episodes.

7. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    There's a DVD review up on another site, and the reviewer makes a grave mistake in his so-so review, by claiming that once you've seen one episode of 'these 70s cop shows' you've seen them all. Not so with TSOSF, it's different and stands out from the others that decade, no two episodes are alike. There's definitely something to look forward to, in the coming seasons.

8. Chris Muermann

Henry, you´re absolutely right. I almost forgot that. I never found out why they did that. Strange thing.
    Another thing what they did to the "german" versions. They skipped the narration which was so typical for QM productions. Another reason wh I´m looking so forward the get the DVD Box.

9. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

There were no narrations on QM Productions made in the 1970s, although I'm not sure about DAN AUGUST starring Burt Reynolds (because I've never had the opportunity to see that series). CANNON, Streets of San Francisco, Barnaby Jones, etc. all had the announcer telling you each episode title and guest stars, but that's it.

10. Chris Muermann

Jeff, sorry. Of course I´m mean the announcer telling you each episode. Sometimes my english isn´t so good. I looked in dictionary and now I know exactly what narrations means.

11. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

No problem, Chris. [​IMG] The Untouchables and The Fugutive, meanwhile had narration in the show (Walter Winchell and William Conrad).

12. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

13. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Actually, the German voice actors for Malden and Douglas were great, they really nailed it, probably the best country for dubbing voices. Btw, TSOSF is coming to R2 in November, Scandinavia that is, but a German release probably isn't far off either being such a big hit.

14. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I was kind of hoping we might have a discussion on the show itself as it was presented in its native country: here in the USA. [​IMG]
    My votes for strangest episodes: John Davidson playing a transvestite performer in "Mask of Death", and Arnold Schwarzenegger as a short-tempered bodybuilder named Josef, who kills his girlfriend in one of the final episodes, "Dead Lift".

15. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I like the one where Douglas goes undercover to infiltrate a brutal gang led by Don Stroud, and the touching episode with Leslie Nielsen as a vengeful cop. The rodeo story with Sam Elliott is another favorite.

16. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    As did The Invaders (William "Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy" Woodson).

17. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

So The Invaders narrator was the same guy who did the opening theme narrative for The Odd Couple.
    Until now I didn't know his name. William Woodson. Interesting. [​IMG]

18. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I never made the connection between the narrative voice behind "The Invaders" and "The Odd Couple"--and I'm pretty good with this as I can usually pick out the voice of Robert Johnson ("Mission: Impossible tape). Interesting credits for Mr. Woodson at IMDB. He was the voice of a old ABC radio show ("This is your F.B.I. which ran from '45-'53) and was even an announcer in one of your favorite shows, Jeff: "The Greatest American Hero".

"Invaders" and "Odd Couple". Interesting...

"Can two divorced alien beings from a dying planet make the Earth their world without driving its inhabitants crazy?"

Getting back to "Streets", I remember the Schwarzenegger episode well. He took his shirt off, oiled his body, struck a couple poses and the girl just laughs and informs him that he looks like a big ape. Very memorable, in an odd sort of way.

19. Chris Muermann

Yesterday I received my copy of "Streets" Season 1, Vol. 1 !!! I´m more than happy since this is a very good produced DVD-Box. I have not so much knowledge of technical things but I think they did a great job. I know many episodoes that air on german TV from time to time and most of them look "old" and the picture isn´t clear and colourful. It´s a whole new era for me to see these episodes. I saw the pilot already and three of the other episodes and I saw that again: These Quinn Martin produtions so good produced and directed and they had great guest stars in many episodes. I was excited to see William Windom in "45 Minutes from Home". He played wonderful. Also James Olson in "The First Day of Forever" played great.

The Pilot Presentation was very interesting. I never saw Quinn Martin in "action". There you can see to very very short clips from him. You see him on his desk and on location.

Speaking of "on location". In the few episodes I´d saw til now there are great shots of San Francisco and I know they did a lot of "on location" work in that series.

So hopefully the next seaons will be released in the near future. Perhaps with more little "extras".

20. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Yesterday I bought The Streets of San Francisco at Best Buy. They look as great on DVD as they did when WPIX in New York aired them at 2 in the morning back in the 1980s. [​IMG]
    I can't understand why Paramount / CBS Video would release the first season in what will be 2 volumes, unless they really felt it was necessary to test the market at the same price a full season would have been. The next set would only have 11 episodes, so they would be wise to reduce the retail price to $30.
    If Paramount ever decides to do a sequel to this show, they would kee[ it in the present, get an old pro like Joel Schumacher to direct, and cast Michael Douglas as Lt. Steve Keller. To retain the old cop / young cop dynamic, Keller's new partner could be played by Josh Duhamel.
    I can see it now: The plot would revolve around Keller (last seen in 1976 retiring from the force to teach a course in law enforcement). Keller's young wife is murdered, which causes him to return to the SFPD to track down the killer. The twist is that his new partner is not only the murderer, but his late mate's lover. OK, so I gave away the ending and I had Keller promoted even though he hasn't been a cop for 30 years....I'm not a screenwriter! [​IMG]