What's new

The Streets Of San Francisco Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Robert1776

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Blackburn
Hi Paul,
I too loved The Streets of San Francisco as a kid.The series really brings back great memories for me.The backdrop of San Francisco for the series is really unique and the scenery is really nice,just like the scenery in Hawaii Five 0 is.I have all 12 seasons of Hawaii Five 0,and really look forward to adding to my Streets of San Francisco collection.It's really great that you were able to visit San Francisco and even eat at fisherman's warf.That must put a whole new perspective on the series to see the streets of San Fancisco in person.I too find police work and forensics very interesting.It's amazing with dna advances how a criminal can be tracked down so easily compared to years ago when the technology did'nt exist.The chemistry between Karl Malden and Michael Douglas was really great on the series.For some reason I have not seen The Streets of San Francisco re-run on cable (or) regular tv at all over the many years,as other shows are.That makes it all the more special to aquire it on dvd.I literally had not seen the series since it originally ran on tv in the 1970's.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Robert1776 said:
Hi Paul,
I too loved The Streets of San Francisco as a kid.The series really brings back great memories for me.The backdrop of San Francisco for the series is really unique and the scenery is really nice,just like the scenery in Hawaii Five 0 is.I have all 12 seasons of Hawaii Five 0,and really look forward to adding to my Streets of San Francisco collection.It's really great that you were able to visit San Francisco and even eat at fisherman's warf.That must put a whole new perspective on the series to see the streets of San Fancisco in person.I too find police work and forensics very interesting.It's amazing with dna advances how a criminal can be tracked down so easily compared to years ago when the technology did'nt exist.The chemistry between Karl Malden and Michael Douglas was really great on the series.For some reason I have not seen The Streets of San Francisco re-run on cable (or) regular tv at all over the many years,as other shows are.That makes it all the more special to aquire it on dvd.I literally had not seen the series since it originally ran on tv in the 1970's.
Shows like the Streets if San Francisco and Hawaii Five-O were more about police instincts and less about dna. Yes, DNA was used but the technology, like dna sequencing and/or computer technology was not there in the past. The show talked about wire taps and surveillance, which are techniques used today.
i also like google map as it allows you to look at different parts of the Honolulu and San Francisco to get a perspective on the spots in today's time. However, some of the old features like the clock tower, fisherman warf or precidia or golden gate bridge are very similar.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Wish they would also combine season 3 volume's for a better price.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if even S5 got fast-tracked out as early as December to get the series finished. As to why CBS chose this title for fast-tracking, I suspect they saw it as the kind of show that would appeal to those who have bought "Hawaii Five-O" as a good 70s cop show that benefited from outstanding location work.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/283582/the-streets-of-san-francisco-season-3/90#post_3933696
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if even S5 got fast-tracked out as early as December to get the series finished.

I hope you are right... October release would be even better but I guess we shouldn't push it. I honestly can't believe we are getting Season 4 so fast... I figured we would maybe see one more season a year from now. Very exciting. Re-watching Season 1 Currently. Image quality is very good.

Robert1776

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Blackburn
Google street view is great for looking at cities like San Francisco and locations in Hawaii.It is interesting how much change has occured when you look at shows such as the Streets of San Francisco and Hawaii Five-0,and compare current locations.A lot has changed in the past 40 years.These shows capture the 1970's scenery in all it's glory.

Robert1776

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Blackburn
Thanks Jack for the Amazon links to purchase season 4 of The Streets of San Francisco.I just pre ordered my volume 1 & 2 pack for $48.99.I also ordered season 3 volume 1 & 2 individually for $55.00 from DvdEmpire.It's odd that a season 4 bundle pack is available for a discount,although CBS/Paramount did'nt do the same thing for season 3 (only offering individual volumes).Either way,I am very happy CBS/Paramount is making the series available.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Robert1776 said:
Google street view is great for looking at cities like San Francisco and locations in Hawaii.It is interesting how much change has occured when you look at shows such as the Streets of San Francisco and Hawaii Five-0,and compare current locations.A lot has changed in the past 40 years.These shows capture the 1970's scenery in all it's glory.
Yes, Robert the streets/scenery are different, but it is more the concepts of looking at cities to see how officers of those eras would have patrol and solved crime. The Streets of San Francisco is gets me into watching movies like Bullit or 48 hours, which also have street view of San Francisco. Wheni was in SF in 2005 there was lots of condo development and renovations to houses. I am still under the impression that SF is still one of the most expensive cities to live in the United States. The growth areas also had moved out to the suburbs, like pleasanton or livermore or san ramon, etc.
There seems to be real push to put more 1970s cop dramas on the dvd, especially those shows that were once stalled, i.e. Kojak or Police Woman or SWAT or The Rookies. There could also be hope for shows like Harry O or Delvecchio or O'Hara Treasury Agent, etc.

Robert1776

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Blackburn
I totally agree Paul,each city indeed does have it's own unique characteristics in regards to how law enforcement protects their areas.I imagine that many of the locations in SF today look far different than in the series in the early 1970's.I too hope that more cop shows from the 70's make it to dvd.I guess from a studio's perspective,as long as a demand exists and they can profit,these shows will continue to surface on dvd.Companies like Shout Factory are great too on releasing classic tv shows on dvd.I hope it continues.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Robert1776 said:
I totally agree Paul,each city indeed does have it's own unique characteristics in regards to how law enforcement protects their areas.I imagine that many of the locations in SF today look far different than in the series in the early 1970's.I too hope that more cop shows from the 70's make it to dvd.I guess from a studio's perspective,as long as a demand exists and they can profit,these shows will continue to surface on dvd.Companies like Shout Factory are great too on releasing classic tv shows on dvd.I hope it continues.
Hey Robert,
If you watch Adam-12, Starsky & Hutch, SWAT, The rookies were filmed in Los Angeles and used the same police station. I did some google search of LA as well just to get feel what has changed from the original broadcast.
The cop dramas of the 1970s talked more about police instincts and less about sciences. In many cases the cops would solve crime by hunches supported by certain amount of evidence. Today's crime solving is much more high tech and you have to wonder if the police instincts have disappear due to the use of technology. I am glad for the improvement in technology, but i am just not sure the new breed of cops are developing similar instincts as past cops.

Robert1776

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Blackburn
Hey Paul,
I really do agree that with all the advances in modern police technology,and the reliance on science to solve crimes,today's cops have lost their instincts and "gut" feelings the way cops of the 1970's did.While very effective and accurate,something is lost when 100 % of police work becomes simply modern science.With the older classic cop shows like Dragnet,Adam-12,Hawaii Five-0 and The Streets of San Francisco,the majority of crime solving was based on "cop instinct".
I have all six seasons of Adam-12,plus the Dragnet series,and the first two seasons of Hill Street Blues.Interesting that Adam-12,Starsky & Hutch and SWAT were all filmed at the same police station in Los Angeles.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Robert1776 said:
Hey Paul,
I really do agree that with all the advances in modern police technology,and the reliance on science to solve crimes,today's cops have lost their instincts and "gut" feelings the way cops of the 1970's did.While very effective and accurate,something is lost when 100 % of police work becomes simply modern science.With the older classic cop shows like Dragnet,Adam-12,Hawaii Five-0 and The Streets of San Francisco,the majority of crime solving was based on "cop instinct".
I have all six seasons of Adam-12,plus the Dragnet series,and the first two seasons of Hill Street Blues.Interesting that Adam-12,Starsky & Hutch and SWAT were all filmed at the same police station in Los Angeles.
You add in shows like CSI and you will see all the crime solving is about using technology to solve crime. I remember reading 1984 and Orwell commenting that big brother is watching you. Everywhere you go now there are cameras, i.e. traffic, security cameras, etc. in 1970s the cop dramas did gather evidence and used microscopes, ballistics, computers to research information, etc. The cop dramas were also about keeping fans captivated, so they had to embellish their tactics. I did remember reading that some police forces still use Adam-12 episodes as way to help with new recruits training.
I also have Miami Vice as well, which was also a great cop show that shows uncovered work. I am sure lot of what was done on Miami Vice is still used to day.
I will continue to watch classic police dramas as the acting and scripts are still amazing today. I tried watching CSI or New Hawaii-Five O and found those shows to much about technology. I like use of technology, but it can not be the only way to solve crimes.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I will agree as well with this Paul, the fun is gone. Cop shows now have too much techno lingo, few people watching really know what's being talked about half the time when science is like Greek to most you can't really involve an audience. I would imagine it's basically shortcomings in the imagination of script writers with too much reliance on it and very little old time sleuthing, God forbid they have to invent new plots and characters. :D You mentioned undercover police work, that's always been an attraction for me because you can do so much with it, like you see all the time on Police Woman or Charlie's Angels. Okay, the Angels aren't cops but similar idea of assumed identities you see so rarely anymore, whether the hero or villain.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The "Law And Order" shows I think are the only recent cop shows that respect the earlier tradition by focusing more on the cops doing the investigating with less techno-babble, and also giving us non-serialized stories that lets one go through different episodes across a run randomly rather than be forced to watch a long-term storyline.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
I will agree as well with this Paul, the fun is gone. Cop shows now have too much techno lingo, few people watching really know what's being talked about half the time when science is like Greek to most you can't really involve an audience. I would imagine it's basically shortcomings in the imagination of script writers with too much reliance on it and very little old time sleuthing, God forbid they have to invent new plots and characters. :D You mentioned undercover police work, that's always been an attraction for me because you can do so much with it, like you see all the time on Police Woman or Charlie's Angels. Okay, the Angels aren't cops but similar idea of assumed identities you see so rarely anymore, whether the hero or villain.
Hi Henry,
Thanks!
I think CSI focuses to much on lab work and in many cases the work done my CSI on TV is not actually done in police lab, Yes, Police can do DNA, IT and video work, but the some of the stuff being done by CSI is fantasy. Let's face facts the CSI show is playing on people that like iPads, iPhones, Blackberries, Internet, digital cameras, etc. and employ use of technical work. In the 1970s the cop shows focused on chases or cop instinct or grunt work (using computers, chasing down leads, surveillance, wire tapping, etc). I know wire tapping and surveillance is still used today as it has been noted in some high profile cases in Canada. The police, especially in Canada are following evidence through different means, i.e. cameras, cell phone records, dna that support witness testimony. More cases are won now on circumstantial evidence as can be follow down a path. The cops of the past would gather evidence, but would have difficulties with gaining convictions in the past of circumstantial. In some cases we have seen wrongly people convicted as police would look at one suspect due to different factors (weak alibi, local social class standing, etc).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not long now till the third season of The Streets of San Francisco is released. Not started watching the series on DVD yet (after watching the feature length pilot, I'll likely jump to the third season episode "Mask of Death" before going back to the first season).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Am weighing up the positives and the negatives regarding the Quinn Martin book. Are there many pages devoted to Barnaby Jones, The FBI, The Invaders and The Streets of San Francisco?

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hello Richard! I highly recommend Jon Etter's Quinn Martin book! I bought it not too long after it was published I believe. Etter is a Quinn Martin fan and his book is packed with lots of information and photos. He has chapters devoted to Quinn Martin's TV shows! Each show has a chapter. The more well known shows such as The Fugiitve, The FBI, The Invaders, Cannon, The Streets of San Francisco, and Barnaby Jones each have more pages about them than the lesser known shows-- such as Most Wanted, Caribe, Manhunter, etc but even the lesser known shows have there own chapter. Jon Etter did a great job! I am a big QM .fan with my favorites including Cannon , The Streets Of San Francisco, Barnaby Jones, and The Invaders. I am glad I have this book!
Take Care!
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks