What's new

The Stratten Story.... (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Will we ever get a decent DVD of STAR 80.
One of the most neglected films of the 80s, this compelling flick has much to reccommend. How did Mariel Hemingway not snag an Oscar nom? Was her total reconstruction not as much for ary as Deniros was...ironically in 1980 for RAGING BULL?
Was not Eric Roberts performance shattering?
I dont get it. 30 years is coxmi
ng up...

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
As a DVD and/or Blu Ray no. As a DVD-MOD probably, given that Warners hold the rights.
I bought the Region 1 as was really disappointed with it. If I recall correctly the picture quality was lacking and it was 4 x 3.
The film then came out on Region 4 (Australian disc) with the transfer whilst not perfect was a marked improvement and it is anamorphic widescreen.
A real shame this film has fallen under the radar. It's always been one of my very favorites from the 1980s.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I recall when it opned, the critics praised Eric Roberts performanc,e saying the hype he generated from KING OF THE GYPSIES and RAGGEDY MAN was justified, BUT many was not pleased with Hemingways performance, saying she was wooden and bland, and basically Roberts overshadowed her, so thats what I recall when i saw it back then.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I got all excited for a moment as I thought you were talking about The Stratt[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]o[/COLOR]n Story, one of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies, not The Stratt[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]e[/COLOR]n Story

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Will we ever get a decent DVD of STAR 80.
One of the most neglected films of the 80s, this compelling flick has much to reccommend. How did Mariel Hemingway not snag an Oscar nom? Was her total reconstruction not as much for ary as Deniros was...ironically in 1980 for RAGING BULL?
Was not Eric Roberts performance shattering?
I dont get it. 30 years is coxmi
ng up...
Strong film albeit very difficult to watch. Roberts deserves mucho credit for putting his all into a completely unlikable, despicable character. Had this on VHS. Didn't bother with the 4x3 DVD.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Its a difficult watch but impeccably crafted.
I think the Oscar race was too strong in 1983 for Hemingway to get a nomination. But Roberts could have snuck into.the.Supporting actor slot.occupied by Charles Durning (alrhough he deserved his nom more for.TO BE OR NOT TO BE.than WHOREHOUSE...he was still repla.ceable).
Roberts.also deserved Ralph Richardsons slot in 1984 for THE POPE OF GREENWICH.VILLAGE.
Carroll Baker was also excellent, but the supporting actrea nods in 83 were very strong. I would rather have seen one of THE RIGHT STUFF wives or Betty Buckley get rwcognized before.Baker.
STAR 80 stands up to multiple viewings-,,a Bluray woukd be nice

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Its a difficult watch but impeccably crafted.
I think the Oscar race was too strong in 1983 for Hemingway to get a nomination. But Roberts could have snuck into.the.Supporting actor slot.occupied by Charles Durning (alrhough he deserved his nom more for.TO BE OR NOT TO BE.than WHOREHOUSE...he was still repla.ceable).
Roberts.also deserved Ralph Richardsons slot in 1984 for THE POPE OF GREENWICH.VILLAGE.
Carroll Baker was also excellent, but the supporting actrea nods in 83 were very strong. I would rather have seen one of THE RIGHT STUFF wives or Betty Buckley get rwcognized before.Baker.
STAR 80 stands up to multiple viewings-,,a Bluray woukd be nice
Yes, it's a fine film and very smartly put together by Fosse and the rest of the production team. It's just such a sad, unpleasant story that's it not one I can revisit all that often. All that said, I've probably seen the film 3 or 4 times or so. :)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
WB had many films in the.7//80/90s that major studios would not green light today...
BROTHERS,.MAYA, SOUP FOR ONE, SWEET NOTHING, RATBOY, FIVE DAYS ONE SUMMER, HEARTS AND ARMOUR, INDEPENDENCE DAY, ....all small films that were barely released.
Did STAR.80 get wide release?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
WB had many films in the.7//80/90s that major studios would not green light today...
BROTHERS,.MAYA, SOUP FOR ONE, SWEET NOTHING, RATBOY, FIVE DAYS ONE SUMMER, HEARTS AND ARMOUR, INDEPENDENCE DAY, ....all small films that were barely released.
Did STAR.80 get wide release?
Definitely. It was a different era and it wasn't only WB. We're on the same page, Lou. I want to see STAR 80 get the decent release it so much deserves. I don't know how widely Ladd Co. / WB released STAR 80. It wouldn't surprise me if it had a fairly limited release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/322767/the-stratten-story#post_3957892
It doesnt seem to have played wide in NY

It more than likely did not. It was an orphan picture like the rest of the ones listed. We booked them in theatres as favors to the distributors hoping to get discounts on film rental from the blockbusters, and we did.

I remember booking Star 80 and I also book Independence Day into our theatres in the Southeast US. What a great film ID was with Dianne Wiest giving one hell of a performance. She certainly got on my radar from that film.

When Star 80 was released, I booked it in the drive-ins we operated with Galaxina as the second feature. It was so much fun booking drive-ins.

Certainly remember Five Days One Summer in theatres. It also was Fred Zimmerman's last film and the cinematography was unmatched.

But as you say, and I will certainly agree, they did little in the the box office, just barely paid the bills, but they did.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Thank you Allen for making me understand distribution...as fascinating to me as rights holders. In essence studios knew the dogs?
I agree all studios had orphans, many never reached outside arthouses. More than WB , Columbia was prolific with these films in the 80s....ZELLY AND ME, WHITE MISCIEF, STARS AND BARS, TIME FOR DESTINY, THE STRANGER WhereARE THE CHILDREN?, THE LAS:PT WINTER, HOUSEKEEPING, HAPPY NEW YEAR, BIG TROUBLE,
The list goes on But it seems that exhibitors lost their asses on Columbi in the late 80s with virtually no blickbusters to offset the orphans.
JNDEPENDENCE DAY 1983 is one of my favorite movies. Weist was another potential 1983 Supporting actrss nominee that was shut out because of tough competition..The academy more than made up for it by her winning two oscars. But.none was as desweving as her harriwing work.in.DAY.
GALAXINA/STAR 80....great df

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks