What's new

The story of my story (D&D) (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi Everyone; As many people do, I've always wanted to try writing a full length work of fiction. Also like many people - I don't have time to dedicate to this task. I thought about it recently and I have opportunity to force some discipline on myself and do some writing. This won't be the book that I want to write, but it will be a great opportunity to work the rust out of my gears and get some much needed practice. I thought some people might like to follow my progress, so I am going to keep it in blog format by chapter. Here is a link to my first chapter. I have three up so far. Chapter 1: Freedom Isn’t Free. If you have an iPad you can download it as an ebook. There is a link on the blog. I am sure you will find some several many typos, flaws and errors. It seems every time I read through it I find a few more. Fear not; each time I put up a new chapter I also adjust the previous ones as needed. (typos, expand abrupt events, etc) The opportunity which arose stems from a Dungeons and Dragons campaign I am running for my family. Game night was an unmitigated disaster when it was Risk, Monopoly or even Jenga. I pulled out D&D because then my overly-competitive family couldn't fight over the win. It has been such a hit that my kids have started bringing their friends into it. (but don't tell the other guys on the football team! - LOL! No, really. Don't ) Anyway - the crew needed a log for their campaign. There is a long plot line which refers often to their past. A log is necessary. I figured it would only take 'a little' extra effort to present the log in a story format. Not only was I wrong, but I now have to make a log AND a story as they find the story unwieldy for finding info on the fly while playing... Grrr! Still though, I am enjoying the writing, so I will continue for as long as I have the interest. So there you have it. If you are interested please put up a comment or some encouragement now and then, either here or in the blog. I don't mind any criticism either so long as it is constructive. Please bear in mind - the nature of the topic makes certain plot and story developments impossible - and on occasion the 4th wall does come down - mostly as a result of the players just having some fun - but still - I like to think it is an engaging read. I hope you do too. -E

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
HA! I don't deserve to be in such good company. Though G.L. and I do have something in common - my mother used to babysit him when she was a teen. If anyone is interested I have chapters 4 and 5 up this week. They are much shorter than the others. Five is my favorite because it is the first time the group meets one of their favorite friends - who just so happens to be dead and not know it. Aaawkwarrrd! http://heroesofmolior.wordpress.com/

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll read them when I have a quiet moment later tonight. I enjoyed the first sections. You better not let the estate of the Happy Birthday guy see it, though! They charge a fortune for use of that song (though, I don't know if that covers print). :eek:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think that song was written by two women. Anyway, the point stands. :) Good for you, Eric! Maybe you'll motivate me to get crackin' on the next draft of my screenplay. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks