What's new

The STEREO home theater thread (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Well, when a 25" TV was considered large and satellite dishes were reserved for NASA and James Bond movies, such a thing just wasn't a big priority back then. ;)

BTW: hefty receivers like this were mostly built to power speakers like these:

Acoustic Research "9" Series of speakers. Many more companies back then shared AR's use of acoustic-suspension woofers which while sounding great, could suck up lots more power* than a same-size bass reflex design (that huge AR9 needed the SA-1000 but really needed a separate power amp to operate it at its full potential**)

Infinity Quantum 5

BTW: I'm more of a fan of Infinity's designs - AR's could be on the dark and too-warm side for me.

The Infinity from link above ("a moderately-sized speaker" - how times have changed).....

* if the designer wanted a less power-hungry model, he could sacrifice some low bass capability in exchange for more efficiency. Advents and those from EPI were examples of this: for example, their 10" models could get down to "only" @35Hz but a 30-50 watt/channel receiver was all that was needed for most people.

** one of Acoustic Research's speakers, the AR3, is in the Smithsonian because of its then-revolutionary design - up til then most speakers were huge ported models that many people found unwieldy to live with.

The AR3, from the above link....

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody recommend a 2 channel receiver that would work well with my Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'd like to hook up my SVS 20-39cs with Samson S700 amp as well if possible. Thanks.

musicjunkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Chandu
can you guys recommend a receiver for my Jamo S708 pair of speakers.
I currently confused about the power ratings...
Onkyo says JEITA, 6W . What the hell is that???

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer now has the page up for those Elite stereo receivers:

Hi-Fi Audio

The page also includes their two new 2.0 CD/sacd players, and an Elite "media system" with all this: a phono input(!), sacd playback, iPod Player Connection, XM Satellite Radio Ready, SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready, Internet Radio, PC Audio, USB Input. And the speakers use coaxial drivers licensed from KEF.

Sherwood's little $99 RX-4109 receiver is getting a lot of great reviews on many music gear forums and includes a phono input.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks LanceJ, the A6 and A9 look really nice but I wonder how they sound. Is this Pioneer's new line, any idea when those components are coming out?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I purchased this receiver on Black Friday last Novemeber for $69.00 brand-new @ Radio Shack. I have yet to open it, but it will soon be the heart of a new bedroom system.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I assume since they're on the site finally, someone somewhere is selling them but in these days of retailers liking very specific product lines I'm not sure who will, because they are kind of niche products:

* they're not truly "hi-end" say like a McIntosh or Mark Levinson, but they aren't entry level like Pioneer's gear sold at Busted Buy

and especially...

* they are stereo-only components and surround, at least to most marketing departments, is the "hot" thing right now even though reportedly sales of all home audio gear is swirling down the toilet as we speak.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
That's cool. I wish Sherwood would come out with a matching - and single disc - CD player, so one could build a neat little super-budget 2.0 audio system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks