What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
With rules and conditions that Roddenberry wanted for the startrek characters then it's pretty easy to me at least how they can get around this for the next series, I would recommend that they start the next one in the mirror universe and have theme go towards civilizing the Universe but now they can start with darker characters. I personally hated the TNG (they seemed overly politically corrected and all the human males quite feminine) and see the behavior of their average commanders allowing them to be open to constant wars and invasion. Though Voyager has some very bad shows at least they developed their characters far more than Enterprise and showed some surprises and breakdowns from some of the characters. I think that they need to make the next series borrow somewhat the general guidelines but not any of the things that were fan favorites (no androidsvulcansborg that are learning to cope with emotionshuman experience, and no captainfirst officer in command of landing missions but have the head of security first, more of a militarycommon sense protocol). The theme of the next one should not be about a ship/base station but of the characters and the situation they encounter. I think that they can use the general startrek theme but make good writers a priority and if necessary the characters expendable (for better writting for example).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A couple of thoughts to toss out;

Brannon Braga's new series for CBS, Threshold starring Brent Spiner has been greenlighted for the fall schedule. I'm sure I already know what the reaction will be from the Star Trek faithfull. It's an apparent move on CBS to capture some of the enthusiasm that ABC has gathered for their show Lost.

This is likely a 2 edged sword for fans, on one hand there's already plenty of negative feelings towards the show. But given it's Brent Spiner, some may feel happy for him that he's got a new series.

On another topic, I am thinking that this thread will soon run out of gas. The series has now ended. The comments from the menbers here regarding the last shows of the season will soon be done.

I propose that this thread will continue as is, to discuss Enterprise as a whole. But given that I have already seen comments and questions about certain episodes from the first season due to the release of the DVD's, some of the discussion could veer that way. And it could just as well run out of gas.:)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
A lot of "Lost" clones this year, Threshold, Invasion and one about sea creatures from another planet, Fathom. Spiner is not a draw for me and anything with Bragas name on it is a deterrant. I give it show half a season.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Well supposedly the holodeck takes all the information known about a person, including psychological profiles, biographical info, historical records, etc. and creates a character that would act approximately like the real person. So what happened in this episode isn't word for word historically accurate, its a supposition by the computer based on all the available data. Jason made a good point about memoirs, which i'm sure would be very informative. Considering how much technology records our lives now, audio & video, one can only assume how much data must be available in the future.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a look at The Pegasus episode on DVD last night for grins. Looks pretty much like Riker didn't have time to put on the chef outfit and play on the Enterprise.:) That was a pretty tightly written episode.

I forgot how young they all looked. Marina was pretty slim, though she looked pretty good in the TATV.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

Yes including the others as well from season one I could only tell the men from the women anatomically, not by actions.:)

Picard maybe was the wimpiest one initially and it seems they toughened him up toward the later seasons. I remember when I first watched it if they were ever going to get a real human beings on the show as the ones shown seemed all so androgynous and lacking masculine traits and women seemed to lack feminine ones as well. The show was so PC and and the characters so plain I was initially wondering if it'd make it more than one or two seasons. Luckily it did get better but Picard was a wuss in the first season.

Bob-R

Agent
I posted here earlier saying that 'These Are The Voyages...' was a 'good' episode, I take that back, I say now that it's pretty bad, I'd feel better about watching it if 'Star Trek: Enterprise' came back and fixed the problems of that episode atleast in some way. 'Terra Prime' was an emotional episode with a lot of meaning to it, the best of the season. 'TATV' had stunt casting, a meaningless death, little emotion (due to it being a rushed story), and it tried to close the storylines. Even though it's supposed to be 6 years later, that doesn't make up for it being a bad episode, it would've been a better mid-season episode.

I feel if you really need to end 'Enterprise', leave the storylines somewhat open! 'Terra Prime' was an excellent episode, it had the true beginnings of the United Federation of Planets, Trip and T'Pol's relationship was stronger than ever, it had a season ending feel to it, and then 'TATV' came on and crapped all over it.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Well, I have seen a few posts (like David Williams' post) that are saying the holodeck may create its interactive environment from various sources:

So... one could only hope that maybe the holodeck simulation that Riker was running was operating on some sort of bad historic information and isn't what actually happened! Maybe some sort of computer virus damaged all of the records from that time period or someone took a few liberties with the history books. I think that's what I'll keep telling myself... that it was just a bad trip on the old NCC-1701D's holodeck.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Trektoday.com is reporting that UPN is showing it's final Enterprise episode this Friday. It will be replaced on Fridays with a movie, and the show will go into syndication in the fall, according to the site.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think he meant the final broadcast of any 4th season Enterprise episode on UPN. It ends now as a network show, then starts again an syndication.

I read an interesting article on Firefly in this week's San Francisco Chronicle. Some lessons for the Star Trek fanbase and next producers who take over the Franchise. It was about the positive response by Universal to fund and greenlight the film Serenity. Now I have no exposure to Firefly, never saw it. I just know it's a western in space, by Josh Wheldon and was cancelled in mid(?) season. The strong fan base fought for a return, bought the DVD's in such large numbers, it impressed Universal enough to go ahead with the film. And if it is successful enough and has enough cross over audience, it could beget another film.

The lessons I found interesting is that like Manny Coto, Josh Wheldon is a fan. He has the support of Universal, so if I recall correctly what the article said, he's got a great connection with the fans via the internet. He can promote a sneak peak of the unfinished film to gather interest. He'll ask the fans to tell others about it and who tell even more about it.

Both Wheldon and Universal have Firefly websites to promote the film and further fuel interest.

Of course Star Trek is a huge franchise and has had a very long run. Whedon has to have the help of the fans to help market the film with it's very limited fan base. Paramount will have a goldmine to market when they feel it's time to return the show to TV or the theater. It will be very interesting to see what they do to build up interest in the new Star Trek. I hope it will be as creative as Firefly. What I think is cool is that it's not big, splashly, fancy marketing. It's more subtle and sneaks up on you. It's not using the traditional methods.

For you Firefly fans, here's a link to the article

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
'Joss' Whedon isn't just a fan, he created the show. The resurrection of Firefly has been very impressive, but the proof will be in the box office in the fall.

I imagine of Gene Rodenberry were controlling this show, it would not have turned out this way. Of course, as bad as it was, TPTB ruined Andromeda a whole lot worse.

RG

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Um, why? His reputation as a television producer is less than sterling - pretty much nothing between Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation, he scaled back his day-to-day involvement in the former resulting in a lackluster third season because of a snit with the network, he alienated David Gerrold and D.C. Fontana from TNG, and most fans seem to feel that that show got better as his involvement decreased (I don't necessarily agree; I think those first two seasons are underrated).

Sure, things would have been different, but that's no guarantee of "different-better".

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Well there is that web based Trek story that is ongoing. Fans do it all themselves. Walter Keonig and a writer from the original series (D.C. Fontana ?) are even going to be involved in an episode later in the year. I guess you can download them but not sure where so fan support is always out there....when the product is Good!

I too read the article about Firefly in the S.F Chronicle. I knew there was a following but it seems a lot bigger than I ever thought. I am a big fan of Joss but havent seen more than one episode of Firefly. I think the big screen is a tough sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks