The Sopranos Season 2-5 on Blu Ray any time soon HBO ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by dana martin, Apr 20, 2013.

1. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    With all the releases that HBO has done lately, and I am not complaining, there is a big hole in the releases. The missing seasons include some of the best that TV has to offer, including what is arguably one of the greatest stand out episodes of any TV series of all time “Pine Barrens” (IMO of course). I was wondering if HBO had any plans of finishing this series of in HD, seems like such a cheat to release season 6 Part 1 and Part 2, then release Season 1 in 2009, and a long silence since. Hopefully this landmark series can be completed in all of its HD glory.

2. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    I would gladly rebuy the entire series again on Blu-ray, especially after a recent rewatch of the DVDs revealed how assy the first few seasons look. But I don't see it happening, I'm afraid.

But then again, about five years ago I would have bet you any amount of money that we'd never see the complete LARRY SANDERS SHOW on DVD. So I've been wrong before, and I'd be glad to be wrong again.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

My guess is that they won't continue with single season sets for The Sopranos and they'll go straight to a series set release. That screws the people who bought the individual seasons but HBO has shown with the Entourage Blu-rays that they don't mind burning their customers like that.If I'm right, you can all but guarantee that the series set will have a big price tag and would likely only come out in the fall/holiday season.

4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I don't think it's going to happen. They missed their prime window for sales and interest already. Hell, when Deadwood came out on Blu-ray I double-dipped so fast trading in my regular DVD set, Al Swearengen couldn't even get a "Co-" out.

joshEH likes this.
  5. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I was thinking about this today as I started re-watching after the death of Gandolfini.. and the lack of Season 2-5 on BD is a real loss. I'm hopeful there will be some movement on this at some point.

6. Ghytfr

Ghytfr New User

Tony
    Yeah, let's fucking go HBO. My pirated versions don't even have the credits, and I haven't heard the commentary. Get a move on it. It's disrespectful to the man. Fucking David Chase.

7. mrz7

mrz7 Stunt Coordinator

Scott Zuncic
    I was really hoping by now that there would have been an announcement for a complete Blu-Ray series set for "The Sopranos". I thought Warner/HBO might have considered doing this around the holiday season, but I think they missed the ball on it for this year.....unless it will be a last minute surprise announcement? The show premiered on January 10, 1999, so maybe they might do something for the 15th Anniversary next year? I find it kind of strange that Warner/HBO is missing the buck on this one.....considering there is an anniversary AND (without sounding morbid), the recent passing of the main star of the show, James Gandolfini, who should be honored for the great work (a wonderful actor) on his portrayal of Tony Soprano of this ground breaking show. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this series on Blu-Ray (even though, I have the whole DVD set!!!).

8. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Where's the logic? "Rome" and "Deadwood" both had complete series Blu-rays out (and I bought them), but "Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under"... nothing.

9. Jari K

Jari K Producer

mrz7 likes this.
  10. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Hmm, indeed.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Hopefully this bodes well for a fall release in Region A.

mrz7 likes this.
  12. mrz7

mrz7 Stunt Coordinator

Scott Zuncic
    I don't know if I can wait until the U.S. version is released.......I looked this up on the Amazon.UK site.....and it states it's "Region Free". Wondering if this is not a legit release OR if it is legit release and is actually region free.....it should play on my Region A Blu-Ray player......pondering on this one!! It also states that it's release date is September 8, 2014....wondering it the U.S. Release won't be too far along after that. Definitely will get this though if it shows up on Amazon (U.S.).....Can't wait!!

I am going to go broke by Christmas this year at this rate......First "Batman" 1966 series (on DVD, possible Blu-ray) in November and now the "Soprano's"!!!

Tina_H_V likes this.
  13. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I just pre-ordered the Scandinavian set, it was ~85$ which is not that bad for the complete series.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Tina_H_V and Bryan^H like this.
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Great news! It's about time.

Tina_H_V likes this.
  16. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I knew there was a reason I never opened my regular complete series DVD set (which I got for $59 at Best Buy). I'll return that for a down payment on this.

Tina_H_V likes this.
  17. mrz7

mrz7 Stunt Coordinator

Scott Zuncic
    Yeah!! I am one happy camper about this!!! FINALLY!!!

Tina_H_V likes this.
  18. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Do it, Hollywood!!! I already know that Seasons One through Five on DVD will be retiring from my library effective XMAS morning, 2014!!!!! (And I already have S1 and both parts of S6 on BD)And as for you, mrz7...consider yourself not alone in that sentiment!!!!! In fact, some TV disc titles (AND EVEN SOME BOX SETS, MIND YOU!!!) have already been regelated to future XMAS lists post-2014 as a result of this wonderful report by THR and the aforementioned Batagram!!!!

mrz7 likes this.