The Sopranos entire series on BD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Maurice Verploegen, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Maurice Verploegen

Maurice Verploegen Stunt Coordinator

Do any of you know if they will release the entire series of "The Sopranos" on BD. I know that it comes out on SD DVD on 11/08/08. Any inside on the day & date BD release?

Thanks.

2. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I think the SD box set is available for pre-order at about $280 so I shutter to think what they would charge for it on Blu-Ray. Personally, I'd be happy to just get seasons 1 and 2 on Blu as they were by far the superior seasons of the show and in the greatest need of new transfers.

3. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

There are a number of reasons the majority of TV shows get released a season at a time, and all those reasons will still be around for Bluray releases.

In other words; don't expect an HD series boxset until the seasons have been released individually.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yep and considering it'll soon be a year since S6-Part 2 came out and they've released nothing else, it doesn't seem HBO cares all that much about releasing the individual seasons right now.

5. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

And this is a total bummer. I just finished watching The Sopranos for the first time and I am DYING to add this to my collection and watch it again.

But I'm not going to cave and get the SD version. I sent an email to HBO about a week ago and never received a response.

I guess it will be a long wait until we get more Sopranos on BD. [​IMG]

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

I've never understood HBO's pricing on season 6, which is outrageous even by HBO standards. Have those things ever flown off the shelf? Do they give a damn if they never sell in quantity?

I've spent fairly liberally on BD, and I'm a fan of the series, but I'll never pay anywhere near the current total price for both halves of season 6...never.

Even as a series-long fan, I want to start with the first couple of seasons, not leap to season 6. And if they're going to charge similar to season 6, the only way I'll buy them is "hot" out of Billy Bob's trunk. Seems to me they're promoting piracy.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Oops, misread the post.

8. Kris Z.

Kris Z. Stunt Coordinator

At least they shaved $50 off the list price for each set. Though it's still really expensive compared to other TV shows.

9. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

It's really hard to justify HBO's prices on their BD sets when you have a company like Lionsgate giving a show like Mad Men away by comparison. But at least it beats the $110 retail that the SD sets were going for back in the day. In fact, that's the reason I only recently finished viewing this fantastic series ... I didn't have HBO and couldn't afford the DVD sets.

All things considered, if HBO WERE to release The Sopranos season by season, and I was able to snap them up for $46 (Amazon's current price), I could justify it.