The Smurfs Season 1, Volume 1

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ClassicTVFan1981, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981 Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone bought the animated cartoon The Smurfs: Season 1, Volume 1 on DVD yet?

If so, has anyone checked the end credits for the 1979 Hanna-Barbera "Swirling Star" logo with the byline ("A DIVISION OF THE TAFT ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY" on a single white line)?

There are 19 segments in this volume spread across about 6-7 episodes, covering the first part of the 1981-1982 season.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I apologize in advance for my thoughts about this release.

I thought about buying it, then realized:

A. It's season 1 volume 1 of a show that lasted 10 seasons. That's a whole lot of waiting, and buying.

B. WB uses 1 single sided disc, and one flipper disc. That's not even cool. That in all honesty, is bullshit!

WB's treats most of their classic cartoons in this fashion.
    Am I condemning them for releasing a series? Damn straight. If they don't care to send the very best, then don't bother.
    I'm saving my money, and hopefully they don't release any more.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Speak for yourself, Bryan.

I'll pick up the set, but I'll watch it when S1 V2 comes out and watch them both.

4. mrmike898

mrmike898 Agent

Michael Wagner

Yes, I agree, volumes aren't the nicest way to release a show that lasted as many seasons as The Smurfs did. But, here's something that should make people happy: both discs are actually single sided discs! WB apparently changed their mind about using a double sided disc some time after releasing early art and then still later after printing the actual packaging. I was a bit confused at first when I opened up the box and it listed the content for Disc 2 Side A & B since both discs are single sided, but everything listed for Disc 2 is indeed on it, just all on the one side! Good decision WB!

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thanks for the clarification. If they release volumes in a decent time frame, and don't make us wait too long in between, I may consider buying in!

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I picked up the set today. I checked the first episode and it has the H-B Swirling Star with the Taft byline.

7. ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981 Stunt Coordinator

That's good to hear, because a lot of the other H-B classic DVDs released as of late (aside from the DC Comics-owned Super Friends titles) have had their original closing logos (such as the 1968 H-B "Box") replaced by the 1994 H-B "All-Stars Comedy" logo.