The situation has changed, now I have 400 USD to spend on a Home Theater.. But I found a few options

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by costafinkel, Oct 2, 2009.

1. costafinkel

costafinkel Agent

Okay, the situation is explained in the other topic is :

- My mother's going to Miami in december and I'll have her bring me a home theater. First I was thinking of spending 450~500 on it.. The limit for purchases cross country is 500..

BUT, now the situation has changed. My mother's saying that she needs 100 to buy stuff for her.. I can spend 400 tops now.

One bad news, but I got some good news too. I found some pretty good prices on the department store CompUSA, I'm just wondering If those prices will be the same on the local store they have in my Miami.

My needs:

1- my living room is VERY small

2- I will need the HT for everything, from movies to music, gaming and computer.

Options:

Onkyo HTS3100B Black Home Theater System - 5.1 Channels, iPod Compatible, 700 Watts
    $ 299.99

Onkyo HT-S3200 Home Theater System - 5.1 Channel, HDMI, 1080p, 660W
    $ 324.99

Onkyo HTS5100B Home Theater System - 7.1 Channel, 1080p HDMI, iPod Dock, SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready
    $ 399.99

So, what of these would be the best bang for my buck?

Is there much difference between the 3100B and 3200 ?

I was thinking of getting the 3100B since it has a good price, unless it has some real limitations compared to the 3200, in that case I'd get the 3200.

Would be worthy to spend 100$ more on the 7.1 being my living room so small?

I will be anxiously waiting for the replies.

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I think you'll be happy w/ the Onkyo systems - they receive good reviews. I installed a 5100 system for my nephew & it sounded great. You'll still need a dvd player to complete the set. No need for 7.1 in a small room...you'll be fine with either of the 3000 series systems. One consideration - you may want to purchase better speaker wire. The Onkyo uses very thin gauge...you can get a good price on some 18 gauge at Home Depot or similar. Higher end systems will use thicker stuff...like 12 or 14 gauge, but the 18 will be a big upgrade from the stock Onkyo stuff.

3. costafinkel

costafinkel Agent

I already have the dvd player.

Great advice about the wires, thanx.

But you think I should get the 3100 or 3200 ?

4. costafinkel

costafinkel Agent

so, what up dudes?

I'll think I'll go the the 3200, cuz the 3100 dosent have hdmi ;x

5. arporscheman

arporscheman Auditioning

Smart choice there. Even if you don't have an HDTV NOW, theres no point in having to buy a whole new system if you do get one. HDMI is always a good thing to have for later down the road.

6. costafinkel

costafinkel Agent

Thanx dude.