What's new

The Simpsons: Fraudcast News (5/23/04) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

So any negative comment made against capitalism will be taken as a personal insult to you? Have you watched The Simpsons for long?

Lets allow for the possibilities that everyone doesn't see the world the same way. Not agreeing with someone's ideology is not the same as condemning someone because of their race.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This is the sort of "twist" they often use to make their political views seem less offensive. It's how they get away with what they do. They kind of have to make Burns's scheme idiotic or else it won't be satire anymore.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
*sigh*
So you're saying that they made the show "seem" less offensive though it really is offensive. Right.

Maybe it actually isn't offensive and it "seems" offensive? No, I don't know what the heck that means, either, but it makes about as much sense as what you're saying.

If you choose to look at everything as a conservative, that's your perogative, but you're only going to aggravate yourself. I don't look at everything as a *whatever I am, not limiting myself to labels nor is it necessary to discuss my politics*, but just as TV viewer sometimes.

As for "evil capitalist"- some people consider lying, cheating, and stealing evil (though I don't like to use that word). SOME businessmen do that, and all businessmen are, by definition, capitalists. One can make a good argument for applying that term to Ken Lay. Why you've chosen to assume that putting those two words together condmens all men of business or entrepreneurs in the same category is beyond me, and the comparison to a hurtful racial epithet is not even worthy of a dignified response.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
There was a minor background character in Robert Altman's "Popeye" who spent the whole movie going around saying "I think someone owes me an apology". I don't think any of the other characters ever acknowledged his existence. That's probably the best way to deal with a broken record.

ObSimpsons: I wonder how many other bad words the producers would have to trade off in order to base an episode around "the n-word"? Spoiler protection for those who don't want to see three, four or five-letter bad wordsI figure it would be equivalent to a couple hundred each of "ass" and "fart" plus at least a dozen "Jesus".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm saying they make the Burns character (i.e. the parody of Murock) SO over the top that Fox no longer sees them as making fun of him. Or they'll do that stupid line about him being so great. This is how they cover themselves by not making it sound like a Fox bash-fest, when it really is.

Kind of like the guy who is pretending to laugh WITH you (so that you don't get mad at him), when all along, he's really laughing AT you.

Ike

Screenwriter

Don't try to put logic where it doesn't belong! I find that offensive!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

So do I. I love how they take aim at everyone and everything, which means someone will get offended. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Most of the time, you see the Simpson characters from a slightly angled view. When you look at them straight on, they're freaky. I think the Rupert Murdoch thing was hilarious in time with the face rendering.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see this episode as very political at all. Certainly not like last week's.

It wasn't very funny either, unfortunately. A few good one-liners, but that was it. Probably the worst episode of the season, IMO.

/Mike

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I liked it when Homer and his friends had on tuxedos to dance on Burns's grave.

I thought it was one of the better epsiodes this year, if anyone's keeping score.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think it will be interesting to hear the commentary on the (eventual) DVD for this episode and the one previous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks