What's new

The Simpsons - 04/13/03 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am not an authoritarian, but I don't believe authority figures are inherently bad. I guess being a child I resented authority because that's what children do.

I noticed the comedy before I noticed anything else, and anything I disagreed with I could shirk off if it was funny enough.

The show has improved in characterization, but not necessarily in out-and-out comedy.

Ike

Screenwriter
I think that it's unfair to say a show is not good because you disagree with it politically. I watch many films and TV shows that disagree with my world view, but I still recognize them as good, and I also happen to like them. I can understand if you say you don't like it because you disagree with it politically, but then I'd recommend watching something else (South Park has a conservative bent).

I also think, as Micke said, you maybe reading a little too much into some of the shows. There are definite stabs into politics, but they aren't that partisan. There have been definite stabs at the other aisle (Mayor Quimby certainly, and there are a couple of slams, right off the top of my head, in the early Sideshow Bob episodes).

The writers, I'm sure, are middle of the road Dems who write from that perspective. If you are having problems appreciating "cynical smartness" (and I wouldn't put The Simpsons and MAD in the same category), then the Simpsons aren't going to be your bag. If you can't like a show with a hint of a liberal bent, again, switch over to South Park.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thought this was gonna be a Simpson's thread, ah well.

Did anyone else recognize Homer's The Warriors homage?
I also loved Bart's need to, "Repress another memory" and Homer comparing Al Yankovich to Allan Sherman.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Except for when they have the local GOP meetings at Burns' mansion and Dracula is there, of course. :D

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
This is a bit trivial, but feeling that I know the layout of the Simpson's home fairly well:

During the opening moments of the episode, when Grampa carried Maggie out after saying, "We know when we're not wanted", where did they go!?!? The direction they walked would have lead them into the corner of the living room, but they mysteriously exited out a door... :confused:

Enquiring minds want to know! :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think that it's unfair to say a show is not good because you disagree with it politically.
True, but as I said, I have not made a decision. Perhaps I am overreacting to an episode I expected so much from.

But after all, the show has been canonized to the point of absurdity since day one, so if an episode fails to be the video equivalent of the nectar of the gods, we all call it garbage. The show as a whole is pretty great, but still overrated. Subsequent episodes have to be better than this to avoid diluting it.

I think when a show becomes less of a weekly event and more of a habit for me it's a problem.

South Park may have some ideologically desirable aspects, but I've never cared for it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"This is a bit trivial, but feeling that I know the layout of the Simpson's home fairly well:

During the opening moments of the episode, when Grampa carried Maggie out after saying, "We know when we're not wanted", where did they go!?!? The direction they walked would have lead them into the corner of the living room, but they mysteriously exited out a door...

Enquiring minds want to know!"

Even though the house has a basic layout, the animators have been known to change the house slightly in order to suit their needs. For Example, the location of the basement door constantly changes. Groening and Jean admitted this in the season set commentaries.

Bottom line, who knows where they were headed

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Remember the episode not too long ago when Lisa or Bart punched through the wall of Homer and Marge's bedroom? Their bedrooms are supposed to be on the other side.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm a lifelong conservative who has watched & enjoyed "The Simpsons" since it premiered. I honestly don't see the show as falling on either side of the political spectrum. The strength of "The Simpsons" has always been that they cheerfully make fun of everybody & everything. Is it as good as it was at its height? Of course not. But I still get enough chuckles out of it to make it worth the 22-minute weekly investment of my time. YMMV.

With all due respect, I think some of you are spending way too much brain matter pondering this program and its inevitable decline. There's too many REAL things to worry about in the world today. In the end, it's just a damn TV show. It's only purpose is to make us laugh. If you don't enjoy it anymore, then stop watching. Watch something else, read a book, spend time with your family, go to church, volunteer... there's plenty of more productive things you can be doing than watching & griping about a cartoon that no longer entertains you.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
(South Park has a conservative bent)
I don't really think so. I think they roast both sides pretty well. (Take last Wed's SP about protesters...) I think because they tend to roast celebrities, it gets viewed as more conservative, since celebrities tend to be liberal.

As for The Simpsons, they do seem to be showing their left hand more often this season, but that doesn't affect me either way. If you can't laugh at someone making fun of your beliefs in a creative way, you probably take yourself far too seriously.

Jason

Ike

Screenwriter
I don't really think so. I think they roast both sides pretty well. (Take last Wed's SP about protesters...) I think because they tend to roast celebrities, it gets viewed as more conservative, since celebrities tend to be liberal.
While I agree that both sides get made fun of, I'd say it certainly has a conservative slant to it. Trey and Matt are noted Republicans, and their targets are often liberals and liberalism.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While I agree that both sides get made fun of, I'd say it certainly has a conservative slant to it. Trey and Matt are noted Republicans, and their targets are often liberals and liberalism.
Yet, they did "There's My Bush".

Jason

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

It was "That's my Bush!" actually. I cought it for the first time a few weeks ago, COmedy Central ran all 8 episodes in a row on the night between Sat and Sun. Great show, I wish it could have continued.

/Mike

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
A few laughs for me, like when Homer called Maggie "Silent Bob".

Also, "Who made you Judge Judy and executioner?"

And Weird Al over the end credits: "...the credits go on, long after the viewer's interest is gone..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rob

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I don't think being Republican and finding GWB humorous are mutually exclusive. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks