What's new

The simple things in life that annoy us. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
When my next-door neighbors decide to mow their yard after 5pm on Sunday, as I'm trying to enjoy a quiet evening in the backyard with my family. It's not 5pm yet, but because I did my yardwork yesterday and they didn't, I'm expecting this to happen tonight because they usually follow this type of irritating pattern... :angry:

Ken CG

Agent
That's about what time I prefer mowing the lawn in the summer because it's nice and cool at about that time. Heck. I've even done it later than that. Usually in the summer, it's still daylight at 9 PM. Perfect time to mow the lawn. But, I can understand your irritants if you live pretty close to neighbors. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Overused words and phrases. Such as when the press and all media seem to choose the exact same word(s) or expression and use it in each and every article related to that particular subject until you hate the sound of it:
  • "mysterious flu-like disease" is in virtually every story on SARS.
  • "white, powdery substance" in every story about potential anthrax contamination.
  • "razzle dazzle" in every story about Chicago
  • "jazzy" and/or "breezy" in every article about Catch Me If You Can
Seemingly the new heirs to the throne held a couple years ago by "Y2K".
It's called a thesaurus folks. Use it!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm,
Remember the word "cyber"? :frowning:
Seemingly the new heirs to the throne held a couple years ago by "Y2K".
and subsequent Y2K1, Y2K2, Y2K3...:angry: Enough with the cuteness.
Or how about trends that everyone seems to copy: Apple always seems to be copied like this...
-After the Blue Macintosh's came out, EVERYTHING started becoming translucent Blue (even Vacuum cleaners and Geroge Foreman Grills!!!!)
-After the Titanium laptops came out, EVERYTHING started becoming Titanium. I even got a Credit Card app. for a Titanium Visa :angry:
-And after OSX came out, EVERYTHING started coming out X! (XP anyone?)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Mark.....Would you mind passing me that translucent blue, titanium-plated can of Pepsi X?
Thanks.
Ahhhh! Refreshing. :)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
People who merge into traffic lanes in slow-motion. I don't mind letting you in but I am not going to come to a complete stop to do it.

When I go to one of my favorite stores and the same undercover security dude follows me around like he is shopping. At first I was offended, now it is funny ... especially the time I started following him.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
a few days ago, one of the coalition commanders used the word "ruse" in a press conference. The media jumped all over it, I heard so many newscasters refer to the "ruse" he spoke of.

Chris

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The rampant cluelessness about the proper use of the apostrophe. The use of the term "bad boy" for anything impressive. Absurdly baggy pants worn low.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
working in a video store we say hello to people who come in.
1. so they know we know they are in the place and
2. just to be friendly
but most of these people don't respond or even glance in your direction.
a bit annoying plus don't they realize they will actually have to talk to me when they come to the counter with their dvds?
I sometimes have to scan a member card on a keychain but they refuse to let go of it or hand it to me.
sometimes they don't scan and i have to move it into a shadow or slightly twist it to get a scan, just let go of it already what are you doing?
people who fan out their bills.
I just push them together while they are still holding them.
don't fan them, I can't count them while you are holding them, I count them after you hand them to me.
People who say, "count that, i think i gave you too much."
Does anyone really think I wouldn't count the money
I'm handed for a transaction?
People who have a movie pass, they always say the same thing, "I'm turning in these 2 for these 2."
I know what your doing, you come in every day sometimes more then once a day, also I work here and i know how the movie pass thing works.
sometimes when i have coins to give back for the change the person will curl up the hand trying to form a cup or something with their fingers, don't do this it makes it nearly impossible to put the coins in your hand.
when someone comes in asking if we have a movie but don't know the name of the movie, who was in it or what it is about.
example "do you guys have the movie 'The Diary'"
"no sorry, no movie called the diary"
"who is in it?"
"I'm Not sure"
"what is the story?"
"I can't remember."
then they finally call home because they were picking it up for someone.
"Oh it's called The Notebook."
"Do you have that?"
:angry:
:P

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
When you give change in bills and coins, do you first lay the bills flat in the customers' hands and then put the coins on top of the bills? Don't do that. That's annoying as hell. Give them the coins first, and then the bills.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
BrianW said:
When you give change in bills and coins, do you first lay the bills flat in the customers' hands and then put the coins on top of the bills? Don't do that. That's annoying as hell. Give them the coins first, and then the bills.
[/font]
:laugh:
i give the coins first.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Postal mail that tries unsuccessfully to arrive at your residence because it is "signature required".

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
People that drive "2-footed".
That is, they have their left foot on the brake and the right on the gas. I was following a guy yesterday that had to be doing that. He was contantly hitting his brakes. Even going UP a hill or accelerating, his damn brake lights would just keep coming on, off, on, off, on...etc.
I finally pulled up next to him and, after trying to make him figure out that he needed to roll his window down for me to talk to him :rolleyes:, I asked if there was something wrong with brakes because they were constantly coming on. He made some really weird "grunt" noise as if to say "oh...ok" (I think) and rolled his window back up.
Magically, as he pulled away, his brake lights were no longer coming on every other second!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The simple things in life that annoy me... If you asked my wife what annoys me, she could write a book!!
  1. Almost any type of packaging. DVD/CD packages are the worst. Also have you every tried to open a Band-Aid with a cut finger?
  2. Long rambling voice mails - just give me your name and number. Sales men are the worst. For some reason they think that they need to tell you the date and time when the message was left and they have to look or try to remember it while talking. That is already done automatically.
  3. Voice mail instructions - "when finished, you can hang up" DUH!!...
  4. Door/key/seat belt chimes in a car
  5. Seat belts that lock at the slightest braking
  6. Automatically locking doors
  7. 95% of all commercials. I have my family trained to hit the mute button with in the first 3 seconds of a TV commercial.
  8. Being asked "Are you sure?" not just computers either.
  9. Cash register tapes that are 3 feet long for just one or two items.
  10. Cashiers that ask you your phone number. I know that the are just doing their job, but I like to embarrass them. When she asks for my phone number, I act a little shy and tell her that I am already married.
  11. Special "rewards" cards that give discounts. Just give the discount to everyone.
  12. Parking lot layouts. I think they give the task of designing a parking lot to the apprentice draftsman while the more experienced draftsmen design the building.
  13. The use of the word "sale". When is a car, jewelry store, furniture store not having a sale? Do they really expect me to believe that something can really be priced up to 75% off. That just tells me that they would normally be ripping me off.
  14. When something is "new & improved" and it was better off the way it was.
  15. People who hold reunions right inside the doorway of a store.
  16. ATM machines that talk to you at 100 DB when you can read the instructions. Hopefully the drive up ATMs doesn't have any blind people using them.
  17. At fast food drive throughs when ordering, I say "I just want a #3" and they ask if I would like to try a #2 also. If I wanted a #2, I would have asked for it.
  18. Flat touch screen buttons that are recessed and I can't hit the small area easily.
  19. "Security Cameras" that look over the highway on my way to work. There is nothing but fields for miles in each direction. What are they monitoring for?
  20. Pennies
Anyway these are a few that I could think of off the top of my head.

LewB

Screenwriter
Scott McGillivray said:
to be doing that. He was contantly hitting his brakes. Even going UP a hill or accelerating, his damn brake lights would just keep coming on, off, on, off, on...etc.
I finally pulled up next to him and, after trying to make him figure out that he needed to roll his window down for me to talk to him :rolleyes:, I asked if there was something wrong with brakes because they were constantly coming on. He made some really weird "grunt" noise as if to say "oh...ok" (I think) and rolled his window back up.
Magically, as he pulled away, his brake lights were no longer coming on every other second!
Buick or Oldsmobile ?

Marianne

Supporting Actor
1. Stores that suddenly stop selling something that you have been buying for ages.

2. Manufacturers that reduce the amount of a product but put it in a container that looks larger and charge the same price (happening a lot lately).

3. Fragrance being added to everything (plastic bags, plastic containers, etc.) I think it has something to do with recycling, but I don’t want my grocery bags to smell of Febreze and contaminate my food!! (I know, I should take my own bags, but that’s not the point.)

4. DVD cases that state that a movie is anamorphic when it isn’t.

5. People in the grocery store checkout line who: don’t put the divider after their stuff; walk off and leave their cart; pay by check and then balance their checkbook, etc.

6. Drivers who tailgate you but don’t pass even when there’s plenty of room.

7. Drivers on phones, texting, etc. (especially in car parks).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks