What's new

The simple things in life that annoy us. (3 Viewers)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Simple things that annoy me:

(a) Bad design of everyday items (designers usually have at least *months* and large budgets to design things - is that *honestly* they can do with all that time and money?)

(b) Bad web design (especially when some computer nerd has been paid serious money to do it)

(c) Oh heck, why not just admit it - other people.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, all my peeves are driving-related:

- When you searching for a parking space in a crowded lot, and just when you think you spotted one, you realize it's empty cause someone parked their car so poorly that it takes up part of the empty spot.

- Unprotected Left Turns. They suck.

- Parallel Parking.

- Tailgaters. HATE HATE HATE them. Makes me wanna let them pass, then get behind them and tailgate them for a good 5 minutes.

- Honking. I know that sometimes it's a must (heck, I've honked a couple of times.) But overall, I can't stand it.

Non-Driving peeves:

- When you need to share a washer and/or dryer (like in an apartment building or dorm) and someone leaves their clothes in it well after they're done with it. For like a day.

- Static Electricity.

More to follow...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I hate it when I'm held back by a stoplight that is giving oncoming traffic the green left-arrow even though there's no one in the left turn lane.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
People who are afraid to step on to escalators. Is it really that hard to get on one?
People who get to the top of the escalator and stop to decide where they want to go. Ummm I am on a moving platform if you don't move I have nowhere to go.
On wide escalators, people who stand in the walking lane. If you want to stand fine, just move over the right hand side of the escalator.
Strangers who bum smokes off me.
I hate it when I am having a smoke and someone walks by and does a fake cough because they dissaprove of me smoking. Makes me want to flick a lit cigarette into their eyeball.
Seeing ridiculous spelled "rediculous"
Not having a Cold Mountain Dew in the fridge in the morning.
People who sit in my favorite spot on the bus.
People who after waiting in line for ten minutes to get on the bus decide to find their money/buss pass when they actually step on to the bus. Hello!!! You have been standing here for how long, couldn't you have done this before the bus got there?
People paying more attention to their phone conversation than the road they are driving on.
Drivers going the speed limit in the fast lane.
Getting behind a slow poke driver on my favorite twisty road.
Spam email.
There are two houses on my lot and we share a driveway. The people in the back house constantly either park in our spots or park so close to us that we can't get out. Drives me absolutely bonkers.
Telemarketers
I could go on all day. :D

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Leson won: bee vary carefull with you're spelling and grammer if your annoyed bye other spelling and grammer misteaks and deside two say so in publik.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I hate it when I'm held back by a stoplight that is giving oncoming traffic the green left-arrow even though there's no one in the left turn lane.
Amen to that one... and here's some similar ones:

Lights that have "delayed green" in one direction to allow oncoming traffic to turn left, especially in an intersection where left turners are rare and I'm held up for no reason at all.

Coming up to a light and not reaching the pavement sensor in time, so it skips my green and I have to wait out the entire cycle.

When someone pushes the "walk" button and then crosses before the walk signal comes on, so then I have to sit and wait for no one to cross during the walk signal.

"No right turn on red" signs. Too many intersections have them and don't need them. And then the one intersection that could use it doesn't have it.

School buses and their annoying habit of stopping traffic in both directions to let one kid step off the curb and on to the bus. And then they keep the flashers on for like 5 minutes before and after the kid gets on.

Self-serve gas stations that make you pay before pumping. Now this is ok if they have credit/debit card readers on the pumps, but I'm not going into the store/booth twice, once to give them money, and then again to receive change. I was out of town last weekend and I bypassed several gas stations because of this.

I could go on and on, with just driving related ones, to the point where Parker would have to add another disk array to the server...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
bus
Which reminds me of another annoyance; not recognizing something is wrong when it's right in front of you. :D

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I'll try to avoid repeating most of the ones that have already been said, but here are some more:

Web sites that won't let you hit the back button but just reload the current page.

Roads with no right-turn lane, so people who are going straight hold up traffic behind them that could be turning right on red. Damn stupid civil engineers...

People who talk on cell phones while driving.

Religious zealots / people who think that their way of thinking is the ONLY way and everyone else is damned.

Video games where you finally kill the final boss only to be struck dead by some stray bullet you didn't see, then having to repeat the whole process again.

At my job (I work for the Associated Press stock market division), when I am posting stock market data for our members and I have to go through the entire half-hour process again because the Dow or some other average was off by a hundredth of a point because of an error that I had nothing to do with.

Come to think of it, repeating myself in general.

People who walk four across down a sidewalk so you can't get around them.

People who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store.

Blockbuster's charging $4 for non-new release DVDs. Screw that, I'll take the VHS for half the price.

People who talk with their faces turned away from you so you can't hear them.

your / you're, their / there / they're - come on, it's really not that hard, people.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

/slap self on forehead, I thought he was saying my "their" was wrong.

Most spelling errors don't bug me, but for some reason "rediculous" really gets under my skin.

I think I have looked dumb enough for one day.

Goodbye.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I hate it when I am having a smoke and someone walks by and does a fake cough because they dissaprove of me smoking. Makes me want to flick a lit cigarette into their eyeball.
I hate getting cigarettes flicked in my eye because I am allergic to smoke and can't help but to cough when someone is smoking. ;)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'll play...

- Buying concert tickets with friends. You know the world is messed up when the guy that bought the tickets (and thus fronted everyones money) has to also drive to the concert. I don't know if this happens to everyone else, but that's how its been for everyone I've known in High School and College. Definitely the short end of the stick.

- While we're on the subject, Ticketmaster and their damn $10 "handling fee"'s (and the 3 other "fees" applied to tickets). Assholes!

- Get all set to go to sleep - lights off, doors locked, teeth brushed, etc - get under the covers and pat around to find where I tossed the remote so I can watch a few min of TV - then it hits me that its on the coffee table...

- Bass. Well, floor-vibrating bass. I've lived with two different people that have abused bass - one sophomore year, and one of the guys I'm living with now. I don't think there is anything that pisses me off more in this world then when I'm trying to study / read for class and I can't concentrate because his music is so loud its vibrating the floor in my room (and my room and his are at two ends of the apt.)

- Shitty seasons of Buffy. Ok, this one probably annoys me more than the bass...

- The system universities use to schedule Exams. Who the hell does this, the dumbest person working here? I'm a European History major - 3 of the 4 classes I have to take are Tues and Thurs back to back from 11 through 3. And guess what? This week, each one of those classes had an exam today - 3 exams! Back to back! 1 on Britain, 1 on Renaissance Europe, and one on Ancient China!

- The one teacher today that didn't let us use Blue Books for the exam - he provided paper for us. And, surprise, surprise - it was printer paper that had no lines on it. So my handwriting for the entire exam shifted from big to small and from angled to semi-straight.

- The cost (and my ability to rationalize the cost) of video games.

- When I run out of milk and realize I can either (a) Walk to the gas station and get the shitty milk or (b) Drive a little ways to get decent milk.

- The fact that my GBA isn't here yet (see "rationalizing the cost of video games, above).

- Needle Man from Mega Man III. I've been playing this all day, and this guy is pissing me off - I don't know how I beat him back when I was a kid.

Phew.

Ya know, I kinda feel better.

JQ

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
People who can't read from a computer monitor without touching it.
Yes, especially when they have a pen in hand. :angry:
Others of a general nature:
Radio stations which announce songs as "new music" only because they've just added it to their playlist, regardless of how long the song has been out. A notable example was the local Top 40 station declaring "500 Miles (I'm Gonna Be)" by The Proclaimers to be "new music" when Benny & Joon came out, even though the song preceded the movie by at least five years. (And, yes, I'm still annoyed by this, ten years after the fact.)
Others of an immediate nature:
UNC Asheville looking like shit at the start of the second half. I don't care if it's only worth one point in my office bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks