What's new

The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition - Due 1/30/07 (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Beaver comparison. It's interesting.

The Criterion edition is certainly deficient due to lack of anamorphic enhancement, and I have no idea which is proper in terms of color timing. But the Criterion clearly has the best detail. Just look at the fine lines and wrinkles on people's faces (even that medium/long shot of Lecter in his cell). What gives?

There was a term that gained some currency around here recently (Gary may have coined it)... "anamorphic moulding" or "mouldering" or something? Anyway, it was an attempt to explain the apparent loss of detail associated with anamorphic enhancement. I don't know. But it would seem difficult to explain why the latest transfer loses at least some fine detail compared to the oldest transfer. I'm at a loss anyway.

Also, the image is more cropped (primarily across the top) in the latest transfer. I don't think I prefer the new framing.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think you can also play with the amount of apparent texture/detail via contrast adjustments and, of course, filtering algorithms and the choice of film element for transfer. I don't think there's anything inherent to 16:9 enhancement that reduces detail/texture. Compared to the current, about to be replaced, MGM version, I like the color timing on the Criterion since it recalls the warmer tones I remember from seeing it in the theater twice, but hey, my memory could be wrong, too. I also think the Criterion pro-logic track is more involving than the 5.1 remix. The ominous bass tones during the sequence where Clarice descends to her first meeting with Lecter are actually more prominent on Criterion's LFE-free representation of the original theatrical mix.

Regards,

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I couldn't agree more! The LFE on the 5.1 mix of the original Silence of the Lambs MGM DVD is criminally weak. Some of those scenes in the basement should tremble ominously. That's why I was so disappointed with the R2 Ultimate Edition. It's DTS mix fixed most of those problems and is the most exciting and involving mix I've ever heard for Silence, but the botched transfer still renders it unwatchable, IMO.

-Lyle J.P.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to be picking this up on Monday at Best Buy. I hope they have it and not wait to put it out on shelves. I'm also concerned about the image and sound quality on this release. I traded my old [not special edition] SOL at Blockbuster for another title so as to get a special edition that was anamorphic. I missed that release because it went out of print so fast. LOL. I think the movie is a masterpiece and I am glad to be finnaly getting a copy again.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
When Clarice first meets Hannibal and he asks to see her ID, and he steps closer, I thought that his face was supposed to be bathed in a reddish light. On the MGM version, he steps closer to the glass, and as he emerges from a shadow, his face is still muted. You can see the reddish version on the vintage doc on the dvd. Does anyone remember how his intro is supposed to look? Is it supposed to have him emerge from the shadows for a closeup in vibrant color on his face, or muted?

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I don't have the "Criterion" but I do have the SE of this movie and have to date been quite satisfied with both the movie and the bonuses... Is it worth double dipping for this new edition?

Keep in mind that I double dipped already on movies like "Gladiator" & "Kingdom of Heaven".

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
My last purshase of SOTL was the 1994 Criterion Laser Disc. So, I'm ready for this new one.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
That is how he appears on the Criterion release. I have both releases and find the Criterion matches what I remember of my theatrical viewings than does the MGM one.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Wow. You would think when the color became vibrant, that the colorist would've noticed that and not muted it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it is just the usual enhanced detail, greater range of contrast that we associate with Criterion. Still, I think it's unsatisfactory to say the least that MGM can't achieve at least that level of detail in a brand new transfer on (presumably) the latest "6K" or whatever equipment. I mean, if Criterion had made a new transfer with their newest/latest telecine stuff, I would certainly expect a greater degree of detail (and definitely not less!). Is this just par-for-the-course for MGM?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
OK, I have confirmation on the "Hannibal Lecter Collection" box set. I have it in my possession (thank you, 24-hour Wal-Mart)

It does NOT contain the new 2-disc "Silence of the Lambs" Collector's Edition. It contains "Manhunter", "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal" in single-disc releases in slim cases.

However, it DOES include, for the first time ever in Region 1, the theatrical cut of "Manhunter" in widescreen. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but I skipped to the "as an adult somebody should blow the sick fuck out of his socks" scene which is missing from all three previous widescreen releases from Anchor Bay and present in the only previous R1 DVD of the theatrical cut: MGM's previous fullscreen edition. It's there in widescreen for the first time ever so until somebody proves otherwise this is the true theatrical cut of the film in it's original aspect ratio.

So yeah, I picked up both the 2-disc "Silence" and the 3-disc collection for "Manhunter".

Rolando

Screenwriter
wow, way to drop the ball MGM.

So I was hoping to pick up 2 disc for SOTL and Hannibal and Single Widescreen manhunter but that will be quite an expensive ordeal... or at least annoying at having extra copies to sell to offset cost etc.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Actually the box set is only like $20 so if you look at it like a solo "Manhunter" disc it's actually not all that bad, especially considering that widescreen theatrical "Manhunter" was something that Anchor Bay should have released 6 years ago.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was seriously considering picking up the box today. Manhunter is my favourite of the three, and 10 times better than Red Dragon.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Every time I watch "Manhunter" I go "maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is better than 'Red Dragon'" and every time I realize that it really isn't.

Today as I watched the new DVD there were so many moments of poor acting, choppy editing, ham-handed exposition, superfluous "wow" visual moments (like "check out this shot of the elevator going up in this hotel! Check out this cool glass paperweight on Crawford's desk!") that just seem really forced and insincere, dated production & costume design, cliche Hollywood b-movie action and hilarious music that the whole time I just kept wishing I was watching "Red Dragon".

Sometimes I wonder why I have four different cuts of such a mediocre film on DVD. I mean, "Red Dragon" is probably my favorite novel ever so that's why but I think of how much money I've spent on it and I feel like a sucker.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Bill, would you (or anyone else who happens to know) be so kind as to provide a quick rundown of the various MANHUNTER releases on DVD? I own Anchor Bay's original 2-disc release, which is in widescreen and purports to contain both the theatrical version and the director's cut. Your post, however, suggests that this release's "theatrical version" is not actually the original theatrical version--I seem to recall some talk about this upon its release, but I don't recall any details.

Also, you mention four different cuts. Besides the original "theatrical" version, the actual theatrical version, and the director's cut, what else is available?

Thanks for the information.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I did a bit of research and seem to have found the answer on my own. In case anyone else is interested:

Anchor Bay initially released two different DVDs of MANHUNTER simultaneously in 2001. The first was a two-disc set advertised as containing both the theatrical version and a director's cut. However, this release's director's cut was heavily criticized for its poor video quality, and its "theatrical" version isn't actually so--it lacks some brief footage from the real theatrical version, and includes some from the director's cut. The second was a single-disc release containing only this "theatrical" cut (I believe it was simply disc one of the two-disc set).

In 2003, Anchor Bay released a "restored" director's cut, which is mostly identical to the 2001 director's cut, but with much better video quality (and a new director's commentary). Apparently, it's missing one scene that was included in the 2001 director's cut. I'm not sure what scene this is or why it was excluded--any information pertaining to this edit would be appreciated.

In 2004, MGM issued their own DVD release of the theatrical version. It includes the real theatrical version, but is available only in pan-and-scan.

Finally, per Bill's post above, the new box set contains the theatrical version of MANHUNTER in widescreen for the first time on Region 1 DVD.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
^ Ditto!

Out of all the MH versions that are out with the exception of the one included in the "Hannibal Collection" which is the best one to get? I believe I have the original theatrical cut version but have been looking to get the limited edition 2 disc set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks