What's new

The Siege: Terrorism in NYC (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The 1998 movie The Siege with Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis delt with this very theme (but not the WTC). It was panned I believe because people thought it was unrealistic. I didn't think so. When all this settles down and the pain subsides, check it out.
--
Holadem

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about that movie all day, and yesterday as well. I actually watched it not too long ago. I pray is doesn't go that far. In fact, the terrorists in that movie seem down right restrained.
-Nate
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The only unrealistic part of The Siege was the federal lockdown. The more characteristic response is the one we're seeing in the city today: a determination not to let these attacks fundamentally change the way we live.
M.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I actually mostly remembered The Siege getting panned because some people thought it portrayed Islam in a bad light. For example before the bombings in the film there is a quick shot of the washing of hands in an Islamic ritual of purification. Many people (myself included, even though I am a Christian, not a Muslim) found the implications of that cross-cut fairly offensive. Otherwise as a thriller, the movie is okay, but I've seen better.
- Guy

Guy Martin

Second Unit
This thread got me looking up The Siege at the imdb which led me to this truly hideous user comment:
Mira8
Arlington, VA
Date: 12 September 2001
Summary: how ironic
Prescient? Yeah, I think so. Anyone think internment camps are a bad idea now? The attack in this movie was far LESS than that in real life. The price of freedom is eternal vigilence, both outside AND especially within our borders.
The US needs to start rounding up all Arabs, NOW.

When people start talking like that it makes me ashamed to be an American.
- Guy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It makes me ashamed too. I couldn't help but hear the racial slurs and "round up the arab" comments aroudn campus today. In my communications class I looked across the room, and saw arabs, pakistanis, indians, asians, and others...and wondered what they must be feeling. America cannot handle this situation with a knee-jerk "kill all non-American" attitude...that's just not how things should work.
------------------
Latest Additions: Wayne's World: The Complete Epic, Die Hard Collection
"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi...At last, we will have revenge."
3 more months...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I am in High School and a lot of people are ignorant morons, so I hear this stuff without something being destroyed.
I really wish that they would replace gym class with a class on Psychology or Politics, that way people would probably not be so dumb in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks