What's new

The Shield: Season Seven (1 Viewer)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
I certainly wouldn't presume to say it was or wasn't you, but as a viewer, I definitely felt like things were disjointed. I couldn't tell whether it was the acting or the pace of the story or the plotlines themselves. However, I will say that, in my opinion, it made for excellent television. Why? Because I think it's indicative of how Mackey's life is in a spiral right now. At the micro level, it appears that Vic is on his game and in control. (Talk about timing on that federal arms bust.) However, at the macro level, I can see plenty of signs where Vic is losing control. This could be a fanboy talking, but I thought this disjointed feeling I got last night was intended...and it gave me a glimpse into how Vic's journey is about to come to an end. What end? I have no idea. But I'm strapped in and ready to find out. :D

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. As soon as Shane shut the door he gave that look as if to say "In the end I'm still gonna take you down".

Back to the question I asked earlier, does anyone know how Rezian got out of jail between last week's episode and this one?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Shane psyched out the key witness in the case against Rezian, so he ended up walking.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis and Will.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
My problem with that final scene was that there's no way Shane could have possibly bought that. But perhaps we'll see in the next episode that he actually didn't.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
He he he glad to know I am not the only one who spent half the episode wondering why Rezian was not in an orange jumpsuit. I did figure it out at some point. Each episode is so packed with plot some of it is bound to fall through the cracks.

I have a hard time keeping up with the intricate, massively complex multi-layered web of deception that Vic constantly weaves -- I have no idea how he does it and doesn't suffer a heart attack or something. That's no way to live. At least Lem had ulcers...

--
H

Blu

Screenwriter
This is a show that will produce a lot of fruit over repeated viewings once it is over with.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This show is consistently great, as was evident in this past
week's episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Not to build it up too much but I read an interview with Michael Chiklis a few months ago where he said so it seems like these might be the 'weak' episodes.
Of course, he's not going to say "Oh the last few episodes suck" but a critic from (I believe) The Hollywood Reporter got to see the first eight episodes and they said the same thing about everything picking up at episode 6 too.

EDIT: Here's a link to that Chilis interview
Exclusive: Chiklis Assumes Control of The Shield! - Ausiello Report | TVGuide.com

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, zero comments on last night's episode so far. Thought the show was great(as usual), but I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I need a scorecard to keep up with all of Vic's subplots. It can get a little overwhelming at times trying to keep everything straight, but I guess that's what the writers want you to feel.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone explain why this show gets no love from the Emmy awards? It seems like exactly the type of show they would shower with praise, but it doesn't even get nominated for anything. I don't understand why it gets snubbed every year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that the biggest thing working against the show is that it's on basic cable so it has a smaller audience (yeah, I know Mad Men won the Emmy but that had alot of critical acclaim and its the new kid on the block). And to a lesser degree, I think the violence and complexity of the show can overwhelm or turn people off.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

It seems hypocritical that the Emmys would honor low-rated shows like 30 Rock, Mad Men and Damages, but completely snub The Shield when it comes to low-rated shows. As for the violence, yes it's probably the most graphically violent show on TV, but that never stopped them from awarding The Sopranos which I think held that mantle until The Shield came along. While I don't measure a show by how many awards it wins, I do think it's a shame that a show which has been consistently good for seven seasons doesn't get the credit it deserves awards-wise. Just my .02 on the subject.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I am literally to the point with this show where I no longer feel the need to comment. More hyperbole and praise? We've heard and said it all.

It's just that good.

I will say this: no character in the history of fiction has ever rolled with the shit as well as Vic Mackey. Every time he pulls off a 'win', something crappy happens. Everything in this world is consistently corrupt and he gets drawn deeper and deeper. I loved when stove-face said "we'll never dig out." The look on Mackey's face was priceless. It was a perfect mixture of "jesus, he's right, we're fucked," and "i'm vic mackey! i will always dig out!"

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Chiklis did win an Emmy a few years back for his work on the show (I remember becasue it was before I started watching the Shield and I was mad that Kiefer Sutherland lost that year)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

I don't know...personally, going back to last season I feel like the show is sputtering a bit to the end. Perhaps it's a result of them adding on those extra episodes to stretch it out more. I remember really looking forward to this show each episode, but now I almost feel as if I could take it or leave it and am only watching to find out what Vic's final fate will be. I actually find myself looking more forward to the next season of 'Damages' than the next episode of 'The Shield'.

As for the most recent episode, there's no way Vic wouldn't have known the fed lady's name as being on that blackmail list already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks