What's new

The Searchers HD DVD on 8-22-06 (Possible PQ Color Issue See Post #12) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The dye transfer technology changed during that era. The earlier prints have a less contrasty look and slightly lower color levels. Prints beginning in the later '50s had higher contrast and color saturation.

The change occurred at approximately the same time that frame lines were modified from black & white to metal dyes.

It was not a matter of being correct or director approved. It's simply a matter of changing technology. There are many films that were meant to be printed on the lower contrast 5284 (1982) and 5286 (1993) stock, which today must be struck on the newer Premier 2393.

RAH

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've ordered my copy from DVDEmpire, which said it would be released 8/22. But they haven't shipped it yet, which usually means, they haven't received it yet. Has anybody here seen a copy of The Searchers in a store, or gotten a preview copy?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

This is a title I'm very much looking forward to reviewing however, the last wave hasn't yet arrived for review... as soon as it does, I intend to cover it.

Herb.

M

Member 323668

Today I received the HD-DVD of "The Searchers". Same color scheme with the yellowish tint, but:

The picture is absolutely incredible! It is unbelievable how much detail there is with wonderful film grain and real "film look".

This is a must-own release in High Definition, even if you don't agree with the color. For me, this is the best HD release so far!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
amazon has it up for pre- but i cant get it into my cart.
"Availability: This item will be released on August 22, 2006. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."

but when i put it in the wish list...
"Searchers (1956)
Currently unavailable
See similar items"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well they have now removed the preorder button from this and the mission impossible sets also.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Is Amazon having supplier problems? Maybe not making payments like they should?

- Steve

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Has anyone received ship notice or seen order status change to "shipping soon" at Amazon for THE SEARCHERS? I thought that they generally process next Tuesday street date items over the weekend.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I bought The Searchers HD-DVD yesterday, at a store in NYC, and watched it immediately. I recognize the color problems — the hues are too gold — but overall, it's such an amazing experience seeing it like this. I bought the Toshiba player almost exclusively for the purpose of watching this particular movie, and I was not disappointed.

Perhaps some time in the future, another edition will arrive with different hues, and I'll buy it again.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
DVD EMPIRE now shows the release date as 8/29. Is this title delayed are shipped in short quantities???? Amazon is now accepting orders again but ship date of 8/28 comes up on screen.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I originally had ordered it from DVDEmpire, but they didn't send it (obviously didn't get it in). But I was able to buy it yesterday in a store, so I cancelled the order from DVDEmpire.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
TonyD, et al.

I just pre-ordered this title, along with Caddyshack, this afternoon from Amazon. I see what you mean by it being DOA right now though. Perhaps too many people noticed that The Searchers HD DVD was finally available for pre-order. :D

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Orders are again closed at Amazon for Searchers. It appears that pre-orders could only be made in about 1 hour window. DVD Empire now shows 9/5 as release date. I called local Best Buy and they did not receive any copies with their shipment. It appears (?) that Warner did not produce enough to fill orders with the result that some dealers did not receive any and others may have been shorted.

Oops.........pre-order now open again at Amazon with ship date estimate of 8/28. Do they know what they are doing at Amazon?????

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was very concerned about the color issues that were
anticipated with this release and originally opted not to
purchase this HD-DVD....

....however, I am very pleased with some of the early reports
that confirm that while the color problems remain, the transfer
looks immaculate.

With those impressions in mind, I just ordered the HD-DVD from
LasersEdge.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this and caddyshack are there right now for order.
i just did.

Pete T C

Second Unit

Previous posts by RAH indicate that the color balance most accurately represents the original look of the film, as opposed to future reprints/remasters which significantly changed the original color balance. I don't see that as a "problem" - in fact, its probably better this way as it best represents the original theatrical presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks