What's new

Directors The scariest movie you have seen (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Scared me when I was younger:

Jaws (I was around 4 when it came out and for some reason my parents took me to see it. My cousin delighted in scaring the shit out of me by pretending to be a shark in the pool or by humming the music. I'd run screaming out of the pool)

Prince of Darkness (think I saw it in high school and it seriously freaked me out, haven't tried to watch it again)

Scared me the 1st time I watched but not since:

Rosemary's Baby (one of the classics, but more unsettling than scary)
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead (the Dead movies are still disturbing, but not scary)

Scary every time:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Omen
The Shining
Cure (I've only seen it once)

JeffLl

Agent
Halloween II, by far! I was 11 at the time and I was in and out of hospitals for some things back then so the whole hospital theme kept me up at night when I was actually in a quiet hospital bed in the dark.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Matt,
I also get freaked out when I see Michael Myers. So how about this: two years ago, some friends and I went to a haunted house for halloween called "The Splatterhouse" (I think). It was supposed to be one of the scariest haunted houses in the area, more adult-like if you will. Anyways, in one part you go down this metal tube about 6 feet high and it's totally dark. Then suddenly, you see someone creating sparks by running a metal bar against the metal tude and you see quick flashes of light. It a guy in a Michael Myers costume! You have to go under his arm in order to get by him! Here I was- a 26 year old, 210 pound black belt scared shitless to go by a guy in a Micheal Myers costume!

Anyway, Halloween is without question the scariest movie I have ever seen (although that movie "Chairman of the Board" with Carrot Top was pretty scary too)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Suspiria and Halloween are the only two movies that scare the shit out of me no matter how many times I see them :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The only film that has ever "scared" me is Robert Wise's 1963 classic The Haunting, which is arriving on DVD this August. Since this is a poll, that's where I'm moving it.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
The Exorcist....haven't bought the darn DVD yet because I'm thinking I won't be watching it anyway. Still creeps me out just thinking about it.

The Ring was OK but apparently, it was too hyped up that I was expecting too much.

The Others had a feel to it. Just try to imagine those sepia photos of dead kids staring at you....;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
When I was a kid The Exorcist freaked me out, the girls head spinning doing that 360 turned me white, well I was already white, but I was whiter after that scene, that creepy demonic voice, you know "Your mothers in here with us Karras would you like to leave a message? I'll see that she gets it." brrrr! :)
It's easily the greatest horror film of all time IMO.

I saw Dario Argento's Suspiria at the cinema when I was a teen, the creepy stereo sound effects and visuals helped make that film really scary and disturbing at that time, my favorite Argento and a true classic of the horror genre.

I still haven't seen The Ring, looking forward to renting it after all the posts I've seen on the HTF. I saw the original Japanese version on the telly last year and wasn't impressed, nearly put me to sleep, so I hope this version is better.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont know about Scare but some good Thriller/Horror movies are:

Burnt Offerings (coming on DVD soon)
The Entity
(These two allot of people havent heard of but check them out if you can find them.)

and...

The Others
Mothman Prophecies
Alien
Jaws
Halloween
The Thing (82)

and of course...

Poltergeist

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I usually can stomach just about anything (I even made it through Tim Roth's "The War Zone") but The "Exorcist" really freaked me out, and I doubt i'll ever revisit it again.

As for the scariest movie I've ever since, it would have to be that or The Shining. Not that I would blame Jack Nicholson though...a whole winter locked up with Shelley Duvall would drive anybody mad ;)

Dean

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For shame people! A 'scariest movie' thread and no mention of The Changeling yet!?

Another vote for The Ring, I can't bring myself to look upon Samara's face! :frowning:

Halloween is damn near part of my genetic make-up, it's part of me because I saw it so young (5 years old) and it effected me so deeply.

Ditto for The Exorcist (saw it at 6 years old), i'm lucky i'm not a serial killer now. :)

For a realy moody piece, go for Carnival of Souls, the original, not that god aweful remake.

John Carpenter's The Fog bulids tension to almost unbearable levels!

The Others is one of my favorites as of late.

And finally, a big vote for The Relic, the film that surpasses even Halloween for pulling me in and thrusting me into a living nightmare of dread and sheer unadulterated blood runs cold terror! :frowning:

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Even though I go to the beach frequently, I will never go swimming, thanks to Jaws, which is easily the scariest movie I've ever seen.

and I'll second The Fog and Black Christmas

Jason*O

Grip
Hey,
Another vote for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as the scariest film ever made.

I should also call attention to films that contain especially scary sequences:

Deep Red - with that damn doll that comes darting out

The Shining - Many scenes during the middle section of the film

The Blair Witch Project - The final section especially

Audition - especially the quiet scenes where people are warning the main character about the flaws in his girlfriend

Irreversible & Requiem For A Dream - these films have done dazzling things in the horror genre, setting out to disturb and upset the stomach of the viewer.

Jason Overbeck
My Website

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The Changeling (very chilling in parts)
The Ring
The Exorcist (first viewing as a youngster)
The Omen
The Haunting (1963)
It
Magic (pretty bad, now that I saw it again, but very scary as a kid)

I also agree with
The Others (some very good chilly scenes)

I also saw The Hand way too young. Although a real lame movie (didn't know it at the time). I had nightmares for weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks