What's new

Directors The scariest movie you have seen (1 Viewer)

I picked up the Ring today and just finished viewing it. Regardless of what people have told me, I felt this flick was a bit disturbing and pretty much the only movie that has scared me.

I think it has to do with the constant gloomy music and dark imagery that was really mindf***ing me the whole time and not so much the story(although the story was solid).

So now I feel kind of hooked into this horror genre right now and I’m curious what else is out there that will give me a good scare?

Thanks,
Aaron

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
No movie has ever scared me...but The Ring got pretty close too...only movie ever too...

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
The only movies to scare me.........

When I was 7-11 years old TROLL (you know, the one with the ring poker, and all) Pretty Dorky

When I was 12-18 Texas Chain Saw Massacre........ ooooo this one still gets me.

Now I am going with THE RING. Its scary. Kinda dorky but the first time I saw it... wwwwoooooo!

I also like
THE OMEN
and Night of the Living Dead

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I saw Halloween when I was about 8, and I actually still have the occasional nightmare about Michael Myers (I'm now 21).

Also, I wasn't able to sleep the night that I saw Last House on the Left for the first time. It didn't particularly scare me, but it was disturbing (bleak) enough for the images to be stuck in my mind for a while.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
When I was 4-6 years old, I watched an old kids movie called "Mystery in Dracula's Castle" (or something like that). Actually, I only watched the first few minutes. The opening featured a scene from Dracula where he wakes up in his coffin. I was freaked out and ran off screaming and hid somewhere under a table. The movie was still turned on, so later I finished watching it (and there was nothing else scary about it).

When I was 10 years old I watched half of Silence of the Lambs and then had to go to bed and finish it in the morning. I was scared to death for that night.

Aside from those two instances, I have never been scared by a movie, ever. I love watching horror films but they never scare me.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The 3 films that really freaked me out are:

The Omen
Prince of Darkness
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

To me all three of those films have a very strong "this could be real" approach to horror. The first 2 because of the investigative narrative and the more logical approach taken by the characters.

The first time I saw Nightmare on Elm Street it got me too.

Blair Witch got me the first time (I'm one of the people that thinks its good even without the hype).

I thought The Ring was scary, but I didn't think Ringu was quite as good (except for being first).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Demonoid, Messenger of Death. I was 11 years old and was traumatized and depressed for several weeks. I came out thinking I was too young for horror movies and religiously avoided them for the next several years. It might also have something to do with the fact that the tape was damaged, and I never got to see the ending of the movie, to get some closure (eh, perhaps they got the bad guy).

When I went back to watching horror movies (never been a fan anyway), I had made them so scary in my mind they were actually laughable. I have never really been scared by a movie since. I never went back to Demonoid though, not sure I would want to. Just too many bad memories.

--
Holadem

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The Ring creeped me out for weeks. The Exorcist had me gripping the seat with sweaty palms during the recent re-release (first time I had ever seen it). But afterwards, I didn't think much about it, unlike with The Ring.

Requiem for a Dream was also very scary, but in a more cerebral way.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I have obviously seen absolutely tons and tons of horror films, and while several have scenes that really get to me, only three have truly scared me. Those three films all also happen to be among my top 10 favorite films of all time. Anyhow, the three films are:

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
BLACK CHRISTMAS
PRINCE OF DARKNESS

JohnE

Supporting Actor
The three scariest movies of all time for me are,

Jaws
The Exorcist
Halloween

The movies scared the living bejesus out of me.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'm with Patrick. Manos. ;)

Acutally, these two freaked me out when I was younger...

The Exorcist
The Thing

Thing gave me nightmares AND made me turn every light on in the house... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks