What's new

The Sarah Connor Chronicles (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Pass.

As I stated in another thread we already know what happens to Sarah and thus we don't need to see it, i'd be much more interested in a series set during the future war which is fertile ground for all sorts of stories.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Or what might have also been interesting would have been a series about Sarah between Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. We know bits and pieces about John growing up around mercenaries and such, but the change from Sarah at the end of the first movie to the beginning of the second movie is huge, and I'm sure they could have sustained a series on that as well. Of course, then they probably couldn't have had Terminators in the series, but still.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"we already know what happens to Sarah and thus we don't need to see it,"

By that standard, if you read a synopsis of a movie there's no reason to watch it. That's actually not even the case here -- all we know about Sarah's life are a few comments about it in T2. I agree with Joe that there was probably a lot that went on during the mercenary years between T1 and T2, and I'd even like to see that (despite knowing that Sarah winds up in a lockdown mental facility). I am really looking forward to seeing this series, because I believe that watching the series is different from knowing the resolution of it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So you've suddenly sworn off "Smallville", too then? Afterall, we already know what happens to Clark Kent/Superman, so we don't need to see it, right?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Besides that, if this is supposed to take place between T2 and T3, I thought that in those years, Sarah thought that she had already stopped the war.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I thought she would have believed she stopped the war too. Hell, in that setting, this could be a goofy sitcom :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've gone into this ad nauseum in the other thread, we've seen all of what's interesting about Sarah's life in the first two films and after the event of T2 she did nothing but do a lot of hard drinking, get sick and die, nothing of interest happens to her in between T2 and T3.

Out of every story angle in the Terminator universe to base a series off of it's my opinion that hers is the least interesting.

Ever since reading the annotated screenplay for T2 years ago it's easy to get inside Cameron's head and see what he needs to shoot and what he doesn't and i'm simply using Cameron's way of thinking in that I have all the information I need about Sarah's life and the information provided by dialogue in T3 is a big yawner IMO.

BTW, Adam, Sarah may be a great lady...but she's no Superman. ;)

In short, the show sounds boring to me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"nothing of interest happens to her in between T2 and T3."

Oh ok nevermind then.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it, if it doesn't happen to fit yours then there's nothing I can do about that.

Sorry, but watching and entire series based upon a woman who hangs out with her mercenary friends and then dies from a terrible disease doesn't sound the least bit interesting TO ME.

In fact, as much as I liked the Sarah character in the films as far as i'm concerned she has served her purpose in the storyline after she gave birth to, raised John and kept him safe to ensure that he lives to lead the revolt, it really doesn't matter what happens to her outside of those three things in the grand scheme of things and again MY OPINION.

Let's follow her life from what we've seen and heard...

Early 20's, she lives a normal life in Los Angeles working in a diner as a waitress, she discovers that a cyborg has been sent through time to kill her because she will have a child who will one day lead the remnants of humanity against a race of machines, she concieves John with his father, Kyle Reese and she survives Skynet's attempt on her life.

Ten years later, she's put into the Pescadero mental institution because she tried to destroy a computer factory, her now 10 year-old son John is a juvinile who discovers that another terminator has been sent to kill him, John and his terminator protector break Sarah out and they subsequently defeat the new terminator and ensure the safety of mankind by wiping out all data on Miles Dyson's work.

After that...nothing. She spends the following years of her life suspecting that the war may not have been stopped but does nothing really meaningful about it except provide John with weaponry that she will store in her casket.

If they want to do anything interesting with this series the writers will need to completely fabricate storylines that we never heard about, but since we know the end result to her life I can't really see how they will be able to make that interesting enough to carry an entire series.

Keep in mind, all of the above is my opinion alone but this series, to me, is a wasted opprotunity to do something really exciting and they are choosing the wrong aspect to center it on, that's my main complaint and I believe it to have merit. The only way I can see this working is if they set the show in between T1 and T2 when she's dragging John all over the world preparing him for the coming war, but since there were no attempts made on their lives by terminators, and terminators are mentioned in the cast list, this can't be, either.

But, we shall see.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hammer, it is just that I can hear the laughing on the part of all the writers who have ideas where you feel there cannot be any. That's rather the nature of creativity, isn't it? Creating storylines where none existed before?

The concern that Sarah eventually dies is not much of a concern, considering that EVERYONE who is born eventually dies. (I am reminded that there's a popular book about Lincoln out now, even though he dies at the end.) We just happen to have a vague bit of foresight into when Sarah Connor eventually dies -- and that is assuming that the tv show runners decide to include T3 in the series universe (which frankly I really hope they do not -- I'd rather they just use the Cameron films when they create the tv series universe). Then again, even in that horrid T3 film, it was only her son's belief that she had died, there was never any proof she was dead. If the show needs to stay on the air for more years than exist between the movies, they can always have her lie to her son, for reasons that writers would be excited to conceive of.

But getting back to the fundamental problem you have with the Sarah Connor Chronicles (namely, Sarah Connor) : I know you really like the future war stuff, but it is Sarah Connor that was the heart of the Terminator films, and without that human element the films would not have worked. The robots are only interesting when there's a good human component to the story. We're just talking opinions, but that's my opinion of why T1 and particularly T2 were so successful. So I think the tv series conceivers have come up with a sensible idea. Maybe someday someone will write a show about the future wars, but that may be years away -- look at Battlestar Galactica as an example of why it just is too expensive, currently, to have a show all about metallic robots (on Galactica, they barely show the robotic cylons).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'll be honest, i've been under the impression that the show would include T3 as a stroyline to work from and I never considered the possibility of what could be done if it were ignored. If what you suggest turns out to be true and that they ignor that film, than that indeed changes everything because that bit of dialogue from John would then not exist.

This may be a necessity in order for this show to work because the slate would then be clean for the writers to come up with anything, so I do get that and agree with it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Sounds like it can be done on the cheap. I can see the sales pitch now. Think a cross of The Fugitive, and Battlestar Galactica (the new one). Yea man i can see it now. If we can get an investigative reporter to chase Sarah and the truth, like from The Incredible Hulk, we might have a show!
I would keep my hopes low until i see a reason to raise them, as with most TV shows.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to see this since we know she dies of Lukemia or some other horrible disease. Maybe if they pretend the 3rd movie never happened I would watch it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Then again, as we've seen in T3, they're not above rewriting history (T2 apparently takes place in 1997 now...) and John was 13 at the time of the 2nd film.

Point is, it's a "what if" series. In other words... there's no proof that Sarah will die of anything at this point. The advance word of the timeline of the series (between t2 and t3) does not mean that this show will take into account all of the elements of T3 and plan accordingly. I think that time-frame was thrown out there to explain to people the age of the characters in the show, etc... not to tell them "this is the gap between 2 and 3... and all continuity from those films will apply!" It's entirely possible that they are going in a different direction than what led to T3. I'm interested enough to at least give the pilot a try, if I hate it nobody is forcing me to stick around.

I'm just thinking about all of the people who thought the "reimagining" of BSG was going to destroy Sci-Fi as we knew it... and now call it the best show of the decade...

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the finished product. It just might work for me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree with Adam, at least from that trailer, the show looks like it has some definate promise. I'll be watching for sure. Then again, I pretty much give everything a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks