What's new

The Running Man: Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I have repurchased only one Arnold flick, Conan The Barbarian. Otherwise I have held off for the special editions.

Arnold and John Milius did a great commentary for the Conan The Barbarian SE.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I was just telling my friend this past weekend that I was wondering why an SE of this had not yet been announced....good news! Kinda sucks that the Arnold flicks are the only ones Artisan does right, but oh well.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Uh... doesn't look all that great to me. Talk about a lackluster special edition. All it has is a couple of documentaries that appear to have little or nothing to do with the movie itself, and a commentary track from the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER?! Was director Paul Michael Glaser really too busy to participate? Doesn't look like he's terribly busy with other projects, judging from his IMDB filmography. It would have been nice to at least get some kind of featurette or documentary about the making of the film itself, rather than stupid featurettes about 9/11 and reality TV. Or how about something discussing the film in relation to the Stephen King novella it was based on?

Jeez... I may just keep my original barebones version.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, the video and audio improvement (assuming it is better) doesn't matter to you, Haden?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Paul Michael Glazer's wife died of AIDS (she contracted it via a blood transfusion) and his children with her were born HIV-positive (their daughter also died of AIDS, don't know if the son is still alive or not), so cut him some friggin' slack. Maybe he's too busy caring for his terminally sick son to record your precious commentary track, Haden.

Vincent

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
It figures this would finally get SE treatment. I held of for about 2 years on the first relase then picked it up for $10 when I had the urge to watch this film. Oh well I am going to double dip only because this is one of my fav. films of all time ;)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Or the original book by Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) from 1982.
Or, the story King credits as his inspiration for the short novel, "The Most Dangerous Game."

King's novel is even more prescient than the movie when it comes to reality TV. Really amazing how he nailed it some 20 years before "Survivor." And that's just when it was published. King has said he wrote the thing in the early 70s. Wow.

This was part of an omnibus published in the mid-80s called "The Bachman Books" (all of them were published separately under the name "Richard Bachman" as cheapie paperbacks that are how worth a small fortune if you can find one). The titles in the book were "Rage," "The Long Walk," "Roadwork" and "Running Man."

The omnibus itself is no longer available, since King doesn't want "Rage" published anymore... it foreshadowed the spate of school shootings in a way that made King uncomfortable when the real thing happened.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a copy of "The Long Walk," another Bachman book that foretells reality TV that's a lot tighter and more involving than "Running Man." All of the Bachman books (except "Rage") are now in print under the Stephen King name.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Jamie; if I'm not mistaken, King originally wrote five books as Bachman, correct? Rage, Roadwork, The Long Walk, The Running Man, and Thinner.

I have the large hardcover omnibus you describe, and inded, it includes only the first four novels. Any idea why Thinner was left out?

Also, I have a old copy of The Running Man by Bachman. King's name is nowhere to be found on it. Might it really be worth something?

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,

King did write five Bachman books (six counting The Regulators in 1997, but that was a publishing gimmick). Thinner was left out of the omnibus because it was the only Bachman book to be originally published in hardback... it was ALMOST a bestseller under the Bachman name, but not long after its publication it became public knowledge that Bachman was really King.

Yes, if your book meets some certain specs, it could be worth something. The old Bachman paperbacks are going for upwards of $100 on eBay if they're first printings and in good shape. If you want, you can e-mail me and we can discuss it more.

Here's a completed eBay auction that has pictures telling you pretty much everything you'd need to know to see if your book is a first printing. Also, this one is in EXCELLENT shape and went for ~$100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=26181

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Gah! :eek: That coverart is horrid.

Guess I'd best warm up the printer... ;) Perhaps something with "ARE YOU READY FOR PAIN" on the cover. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks