What's new

Blu-ray Review The Roots of Heaven Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John McElwee's Greenbriar Picture Shows site has an excellent write up concerning THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN and it's only Roadshow booking at the RKO Palace in New York. Mr. McElwee's site is always informative and interesting and this one is really is a great one. I think if you take the time to read it you will certainly come away with a little more interest and knowledge of the film and the time it was released in.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Informative write-up. But I don't need encouragement. I'll pick up Roots of Heaven and Pal Joey in my next go-round. (I wish you would clean up the language in your signature, Allen.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Informative write-up.
But I don't need encouragement. I'll pick up Roots of Heaven and Pal Joey in my next go-round.
[SIZE= 9px](I wish you would clean up the language in your signature, Allen.)[/SIZE]

I was not trying to encourage you, only offering an interesting piece of writing about a not very well know film.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Back to Roots of Heaven - just a question to clarify, is this a BR only release? I didn't see any mention of an SD.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Joe Caps said:
Yes, but of course the original audio is just 4.0 for this film. When you bump to 5.1, something has to be changed to get there.
Coverting 4.0 to 5.1 should be easy. The "5" is left front, center front, right front, left surround, right surround. All you have to do is send the surrond channel from the 4.0 to the left surrond and right surround. The rest is the same.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but usually the mono surround is turned into a fake stereo surround, losing some directionality with the front.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I've pre-ordered this title from Screen Archives as I do all the Twilight Time releases, but it will certainly be a big, fat disappointment if this release is not in discrete 4-track or matrixed (2-track) stereo, because I have an excellent Spanish dvd of this title with a sweet, directional (matrixed stereo surround) English-language soundtrack that will take precedence over a mono blu-ray.

And what happens to the 4th surround or effects track as it was then called .Even" The Robe" which was beautifully restored has hardly any rear sound although it is obvous from the film itself that there are several sequences where it would have been used quite forcefully and which I recall from hearing a four track print many years ago. Again with "The Egyptian" where critics at the time commented on its use. And, I could go on but you get the drift. Some answers form someone who produced these discs would be nice
Apologies for going a bit off topic but as many here likely have some number of Fox Classics DVDs in their collections, this is probably the best thread I've found yet for help. It concerns now sadly discontinued North American pressings of the Fox Classics DVD series, such as "From Hell to Texas" (1958). Now that Disney has its mitts on the whole Fox library-and has already shut down most its Asian pressing plants, in keeping with Hollywood's plans to "sunset" physical media-we can only hope those like Criterion, Kino, ShoutFactory and others will continue honoring requests for such titles.

But until that happens, with "From Hell to Texas" TheVid referred to his/her Spanish pressing of the Fox movie "Roots of Heaven",
and its matrixed stereo surround track. Indeed, a local public library has the OOP US pressed Fox DVD of "From Hell to Texas", and it has the same wonderful MCH-like audio. But would your Spanish Region 0 DVD of "Roots of Heaven" be from this series?

And is yours this one?

So, I'm hoping that if both DVDs are from the same series and pressed by the same Spanish label, then both will have the same MCH audio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks