What's new

The Rookies (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I actually still have my original Farrah Fawcett poster and one of a nearly lifesize Cheryl Ladd. Been tucked away in storage for decades but might have to bring them out for some air. Acting skills weren't quite there yet, but they were both incredibly beautiful women at that age.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
younger1968 said:
Farah's poster is what help her career not her acting. I remember watching Cannonball Run and she was horrible. She was also bad in few episodes as the 6MM love interest.
Kate Jackson was smart, but attractive. The Charlie's Angels role was good, but did not show enough of her compassion and/or beauty as the rookies did for her image.
Gerald o'Louglin was also amazing as the skipper for the Rookies. He really added the father figure role to his character.
O'Loughlin was indeed good, saw him recently in episodes of The FBI and Hawaii Five-O, he's especially tops in the former (the exciting episode "Ordeal") as a an ex-convict lured back into crime by gangsters to carry stolen nitrogylcerin in his truck on a risky cross country trek. Also it's sad that Sam Melville died so young, a few years after reunited with Kate in Scarecrow & Mrs. King.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
O'Loughlin was indeed good, saw him recently in episodes of The FBI and Hawaii Five-O, he's especially tops in the former (the exciting episode "Ordeal") as a an ex-convict lured back into crime by gangsters to carry stolen nitrogylcerin in his truck on a risky cross country trek. Also it's sad that Sam Melville died so young, a few years after reunited with Kate in Scarecrow & Mrs. King.
The Rookies is also a good show to show to police recruits, especially on training. There are many examples of rookie mistakes, i.e. picking up evidence (no warrant), calling off calls, securing the location, requesting backup, etc. I have notice many mistakes made by the rookies and this could be something used by police recruits.
I also like O'Loughlin in Our House were he played the friend of Brimley.
It was sad about Melville dying way too soon. I remember seeing Melville in a Hawaii Five-O episode and he was quite good.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Did The Rookies ever have episode promos shown before the start of each episode? Referring to Sony's first season set (the second season set hasn't arrived yet), as that didn't have episode promos shown before the title sequence of each episode.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
WaveCrest said:
Did The Rookies ever have episode promos shown before the start of each episode? Referring to Sony's first season set (the second season set hasn't arrived yet), as that didn't have episode promos shown before the title sequence of each episode.
There is no re-cursor to what is upcoming in the episode for S2.
The quality of the episodes are very good. I have not seen to many issues with sound/picture.
I am disappointed that SWAT crossover was not included, but maybe they were waiting for S2 of SWAT to be released. S2 of SWAT just came out, so maybe the plan is to include the pilot in upcoming set
Now that we have Harry O, S2 of the rookies, SWAT completed and Streets of San Francisco almost completed. What should be the next police drama? I would love to see O'Hara Treasury Agent or Petrocelli or Dan August, etc come out. I welcome your thoughts and/or suggestions.
Regards,
Paul Young

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/293768/the-rookies/30#post_3963488
There is no re-cursor to what is upcoming in the episode for S2.
The quality of the episodes are very good. I have not seen to many issues with sound/picture.
I am disappointed that SWAT crossover was not included, but maybe they were waiting for S2 of SWAT to be released. S2 of SWAT just came out, so maybe the plan is to include the pilot in upcoming set

There is no re-cursor? Is 're-cursor' another word for an episode promo?

You've got mixed up Paul. It was the pilot TV movie for The Rookies which wasn't included in Shout's second season set of The Rookies. The feature length episode of The Rookies which was a pilot for S.W.A.T., is from The Rookies' third season.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
younger1968 said:
Now that we have Harry O, S2 of the rookies, SWAT completed and Streets of San Francisco almost completed. What should be the next police drama? I would love to see O'Hara Treasury Agent or Petrocelli or Dan August, etc come out. I welcome your thoughts and/or suggestions.
Very much agree with those three titles there Paul, would like to see them also. And CBS continuing stalled series like Barnaby Jones either as standard or MOD, but I'm not too fearful for that one anymore now Cannon's coming again. They also have The Magician, Serpico and Spencer's Pilots to be hopeful for as debut releases. Would've thought Shout had picked up T.J. Hooker to continue by now, but maybe it's planned as Sony MOD.
Their Crazy Like a Fox would also be neat to have, and speaking of being crazy like a fox, Fox of course are impossible to get anything classic from unless they go BOD as well eventually. There's stuff like Hagen, Hong Kong and Judd for the Defense that would be great to have.
Apart from O'Hara, Universal's got a few I'm interested in like Owen Marshall, Griff, Delvecchio, Hec Ramsey, Name of the Game, Baretta, Richie Brockelman, Sierra and Sixth Sense. Warner would be kind to give us; Kaz, King's Crossing and The Mississippi latter stars Ralph Waite so it'd also pull in all the Waltons fans.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I finished the 3rd disc of the set last night and there is an edited episode on this set. Before the episode starts a disclaimer pops up on the screen letting us know that the following episode is remastered from the best source material available at the time of release. The episode in question is the second episode on disc three, Prayers Unasnwered, Prayers Unheard.
So, what is missing? All of the fatal gun shots (aka the violence) are missing. As everyone knows, this show was not shy about showing people being shot. However, it is quite obvious that the fatal shots are missing due to the quick cuts. Also missing is the final tag scene. Once they get the bad guy, the episode jumps directly to the ending credits.
I'm not sure if the original uncut master is lost or just wasn't given to Shout in time for release. The runing time for the episode is about 46 minutes versus the usual 50 minutes. I would guess that most of the missing minutes are from the missing tag scene at the end. The actual gun firing shots were probably only mere seconds. 15 seconds total (at most) for all three of the fatal gun shot scenes (one at the beginning of the episode, one in the middle and the one at the end).
Just wanted to pass this along so folks would be aware.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to give a heads up. The Rookies is now running on Grit TV, complete and uncut. They are due to start the third season episodes in a couple of days. Since the last 2 seasons are unlikely to be released on DVD, this is a great place to get them.

Regarding the cut episode, that's probably taken from an old Viacom print. When the show was syndicated in the 70s, massive cuts were made to the show to take out the violence. One episode was so chopped up that by the time they were done with it, only 35 minutes were left and they had to splice in footage from another episode. I missed the episode referred to above but will look for it when they run through them again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
Just wanted to give a heads up. The Rookies is now running on Grit TV, complete and uncut. They are due to start the third season episodes in a couple of days. Since the last 2 seasons are unlikely to be released on DVD, this is a great place to get them.

Regarding the cut episode, that's probably taken from an old Viacom print. When the show was syndicated in the 70s, massive cuts were made to the show to take out the violence. One episode was so chopped up that by the time they were done with it, only 35 minutes were left and they had to splice in footage from another episode. I missed the episode referred to above but will look for it when they run through them again.

Thanks, Neil!

I am still hoping the remaining seasons will come to dvd, especially the crossover episode with SWAT. I have S1 and S2 on dvd and love the show as kid as well as in my adult years.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For whatever reason, when GRIT got to the 4th season, the show has been a mess. The first several episodes ran with the picture squeezed and now the last one ran in fake widescreen, similar to the botched Route 66 release with the tops and bottoms of the picture cut off.

By the way, to the above poster, season two sales were abysmal so don't hold your breath for the last 2 seasons to come out.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Looks like Grit removed the Rookies from their weekday schedule, and replaced with yet another hour of Laramie. Plus they added Walker, Texas Ranger to the schedule. Looks like the Rookies' next airing is 5am Sunday. Hope I remember to record it. So now they have 4 hrs a day of Laramie and 4 hours a day of Walker. Talk about overkill! I was hoping since they got the Rookies, they could get Policewoman as well since their both Sony cop shows from the seventies.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Regarding bad sales for S2, Shout did not exactly help themselves when they pulled a switch at the last minute and did not include the pilot which had been promised in all earlier announcements. That is exactly the reason why I did not buy it at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks