What's new

The Rocketeer (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Would anybody, aside from myself, like to see this re-released, with an anamorphic print?

An SE would be to much to ask, but I love this movie.

I still can't understand why it was never embraced by the bussom of the public.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Ive always loved this movie but held back from buying it because of the outrageous price it's being sold at at my blockbuster. (24.99) and the lack of an anamorphic print, and the extreme lack of Special feat.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'd buy it.
it would have been the perfect material for Anchor Bay to release, and i think they would have done it justice.
if any movie could justify an SE, it would be this one;
as far as special features
-they have the comic book angle to exploit
-the 'old hollywood' angle
-the films production design
-the 'air' technology of the '30s
-Howard Hughes, Betty Page and on and on

there are just so many avenues open to explore and embellish with a film like this.

although, at this point i would just be happy with a print that doesn't look like it is in desperate need of a bath.
the original LD looked dingy & dim, not at all like i remembered it in the theater, and from what i hear, that carried over to the dvd, probably with the same transfer.

if that was an intentional move to try to make the film somewhat 'sepia' colored to invoke nostaligia, it was the stupidest move since Badham desaturated his 1979 Dracula.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I love this movie as well. If I remember correctly there was a bit of a dispute before the movie was released about whether or not it was going to have a Roger Rabbit cartoon short before it. This was caused by Spielberg fussing about the rights to the character...It ended up going in front of another movie (name escapes me) that Spielberg had an association with and Rocketeer's backers claimed it would have done much better had the cartoon short been before the movie. Interestingly enough, a few years after Roger Rabbit was released, a script for a sequel was finished which involved nazi characters. Spielberg adamantly opposed this script saying that he would never again have anything to do with a film involving nazi's playing the role of villians. This was obviously complete BS as seen by Saving Private Ryan. It seems he wanted Roger all to himself.....

I wish I could find the link to the magazine article detailing all of this. It was a very interesting read. Too bad Rocketeer did so poorly box-office wise, I have viewed the VHS countless times.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I bought the DVD on its release date and would gladly shell out for a new transfer much less a special edition. The current disc was marked down to $14.99 a while back so most online stores have it for less than $10. At that price I don't think it's too bad of a deal if you like the film.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
You can commonly find the DVD for under $10 nowadays. Check Target or Best Buy. I loved this movie so much I paid the original $25 for the DVD (atrociously overpriced for the lousy transfer and non-existent features) and I have gotten my money's worth 10 times over.

This is one of my favorite films (I actually found the old 8-bit Nintendo video game of it today for $5!!!). I believe it tanked because 1. Terminator 2 was out that summer and 2. if you've seen the trailer for this movie it was atrocious! Poor job of marketing this film back in '91. I would have gone thumbs down to seeing this movie had I based my decision on the trailer.

SE??? I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Just saw a movie trailer the other day that was using the Rocketeer theme music. I've been looking for the original graphic novel for a while.

Unfortunately I just don't think it will become a Vista Series disc - is the demand actually there? Of course if BVHV will put out Sports Night on DVD, then there's always a chance that we will see a redone Rocketeer disc at some point in the future, I hope!!! And maybe there's a better chance now that director Joe Johnston has some bigger credits to his name (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III, October Sky).

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
The UK Region 2 release is anamorphic. So there's at least a good chance that a future Region 1 release will be, as well. :)

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Neil_Duffy--

"I still can't understand why it was never embraced by the bussom of the public."

Although the bussom in the film was quite embracable. ;)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
The UK Region 2 release is anamorphic

That's interesting... but, someone once told me that a UK anamorphic release, when they're isn't a US one is not a proper anamorphic print.

Anyone shed any light on this?

DannyS

Second Unit
I too would veritably wet my flight pants if this were re done as a special edition. If anything is more worthy it's this. I own the R2 version and the print is great! I would like to have the "wobble cam" effect re-instated on the zepplin at the end though. even if it's only as an extra feature.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't that Spielberg objected to the use of Nazis as villians, it was that he vowed never again to use Nazis as "comic book villians." After he began work on SCHINDLER'S LIST in earnest, he could never take them lightly ever again. I can understand that.

On an odd ROCKETEER note: I got to see the movie twice at sneak previews months before the final release, but never during its actual run. I loved this movie and was saddened that it did as poorly as it did.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I remember likeing the film as a kid when I saw it theatrically. But I doubt ill buy until there is at least a anamorphic transfer.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
If memory serves, this thread came up about a year ago, but I'm certainly glad to see it back again.

I was a huge fan of Dave Stevens' Rocketeer comic books, and I was overjoyed when the film was released. In my opinion, THE ROCKETEER is quite possibly the truest film representation of a comic book to date.

I couldn't resist buying the $9.99 DVD, but I was terribly disappointed that the transfer wasn't anamorphic. I probably got my 10 dollars' worth of entertainment from the disc, but I'd certainly pay more for a 16x9 enhanced better transfer. Bonus materials would be a wonderful addition, but first and foremost, I'd just like to have a better version of the film itself.

mattl

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I, too, held off buying this until the pricew drop because of the non-anamorphic transfer. I'd spring for a new anamorphic version in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks