What's new

The Rocketeer Blu-ray available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Unlikely. It would be nice if the studios would remaster this or, say, RAISING ARIZONA for DVD concurrent with their BD debuts, but where DVD is concerned the studios have pretty much left the catalog business. By the same token the studios rarely create new supplemental content for BD. If THE ROCKETEER was barebones on DVD, look for it to be the same on BD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm surprised Disney didn't do one of their usual DVD/Blu-ray combo disc releases for this. They've been pretty consistent with those so far.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
That seems to apply mostly to new releases and animated films. I'm surprised they didn't farm this out to Mill Creek (which, it must be said, did an exemplary job with BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND).

LCD22

Screenwriter
I have a bad feeling this won't be included and should be in their archives - it wouldn't take much effort to put on the BD release. If any representatives at Disney are perusing this thread, please include the 1991 documentary special which coincided with the film on the Disney Channel, The Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air, hosted by Billy Campbell. This has not been commercially made available and I've had inquiries in the past asking for a copy. It would nicely supplement the main feature.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I was at the D23 Kevin Smith-hosted screening in June and know it was recorded-- hopefully this will be on the disc. The quality of the digital print is AMAZING.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
one of my favorites as well. dave stevens creator of the comic, thought the underwhelming box office performance was partly due to the original movie poster. the original poster while pretty cool, didnt tell anyone what it was about, was it a cartoon, live action. etc. he seemed happy with vhs box art, also shown on the dvds and now bluray. I prefer the original movie poster though. hoping for special features too

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I'd say the reason The Rocketeer tanked back in the summer of '91 was because it was released only a week or two before Terminator 2, which is what all the "cool" kids wanted to see.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

I have a bad feeling this won't be included and should be in their archives - it wouldn't take much effort to put on the BD release. If any representatives at Disney are perusing this thread, please include the 1991 documentary special which coincided with the film on the Disney Channel, The Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air, hosted by Billy Campbell. This has not been commercially made available and I've had inquiries in the past asking for a copy. It would nicely supplement the main feature.

Back in the day The Disney Channel used to do some pretty good making-of specials for their then-current movies; sadly, none of them have resurfaced on any of their releases.

LCD22

Screenwriter
MatthewA said:
Back in the day The Disney Channel used to do some pretty good making-of specials for their then-current movies; sadly, none of them have resurfaced on any of their releases.
I can say they've noted my request. I contacted Disney to follow-up ahead of a formal announcement yesterday on the extras, and they didn't have any information for me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
No word on extras, but they confirmed the following:

[FONT= 'Calibri']Street Date[/FONT][FONT= 'Calibri']: [/FONT][FONT= 'Calibri'][/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']December 13, 2011 [/FONT][FONT= 'Calibri'][/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri'](Direct Prebook: Oct. 18/Distributor Prebook: Nov. 1) [/FONT][FONT= 'Calibri'][/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Release Format: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']1 Disc Blu-ray [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Suggested Retail Price: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']$26.50 (US)/$31.50 (Canada)[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Feature Run Time: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Approx. run time 109 minutes[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Rated: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']PG (US & Canada)[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Aspect Ratio: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']1080p High Definition/2.35:1[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Sound: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Languages: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']English and French[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']Subtitles: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Calibri']English SDH and French[/FONT]

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks Adam. As far as I'm concern, Disney has lost a purchase if this remains unchanged. This was a direct tie-in that premeired two days prior to the theatrical release. No reason, whatsoever, to not include it (on any format).

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
ChrisCook said:
Thanks Adam. As far as I'm concern, Disney has lost a purchase if this remains unchanged. This was a direct tie-in that premeired two days prior to the theatrical release. No reason, whatsoever, to not include it (on any format).
So you would give up a pristine Blu-Ray release of a wonderful film that's only ever gotten a non-anamorphic DVD release 12 years ago because of THAT?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Bonus features would be nice, but this is a film that I haven't been able to fully enjoy at home in 20 years- ever since the Laserdisc which had a very unpalatable sepia discolored appearance that I never saw in the theatrical viewings. If the Bd reconciles that. I will be an extremely happy camper. This movie didn't seem like it was going to make it out at all this year- so this news is very welcome to me.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Mike_G said:
So you would give up a pristine Blu-Ray release of a wonderful film that's only ever gotten a non-anamorphic DVD release 12 years ago because of THAT?
I'm not really giving anything up and didn't purchase the non-anamorphic DVD. I've said this before, but I'll only consider an anamorphic DVD or Blu-ray if Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air was also finally included. The Disney Channel special has showed signs of deterioration and I had to go through hoops in order to get out a copy to those who've asked; I was barely able to make a backup for myself. And it peaked my interest enough in my youth to even see the film in theaters as I never found graphic novels (or comics) all that appealing. So I like the chance to recapture 1991 with a much better copy of The Rocketeer and Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
The UK DVD was Anamorphic but looked rough in places, the UK Disney Channel HD version looks amazing tho

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon. Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
stephen la said:
Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon. Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rocketeer-Blu-ray/28926/#Review

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by stephen la

Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon.
Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?

The movie looks and sounds good but includes only the trailer:

http://www.dvdmg.com/rocketeerbr.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks