What's new

The Rocket RS 750 Signature Speakers Are Here!!!!... (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
And factually speaking, the average 3 pack per day over 40 year smoker loses as much lifespan as the average gay/bi-sexual man. Kinda ironic, we finally get to the point where THAT is no longer a position of Social pariah, but the smoker is.
__________________________________________________ ___

Now ain't that the truth.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ____

And the air in Southern California has a higher pollution index than a cigar lounge does here. Maybe Los Angeles should be outlawed...

Hell, folks ought to see what has happened to these areas (Riverside and San bernardino) in the least ten years...after the sudden mass exodus of "urbanites" that occurred after discovering and moving in what they used to consider as being the "boondocks." Thus places where we used to enjoy and savor a peaceful life style now are rife with the rat race (it seems that every 'mo 'fo driving around all roads, streets, freeways and byways has to speed like some kind of terrorist demons on four-wheels), a lot of crime, as well as automobile "accidents" (never mind what that does to our auto insurance rates! :angry: ), among other several ugly events that affect our daily lives. Then too traffic is so bad that one can hardly find ways to get to work (and I only "commute" 8.3 miles from my driveway to my work base, while most drivers average 60-70+ miles one-way per day!), get around downtown or go anywhere during daylight hours and even evenings! And when it comes to summer time (and on windless days too)...why, the worst cases of smog pollution to be experienced anywhere in the US of A if not the whole world!
So anti-smokers who complain about this or that about smoking are simply being quite foolish attacking their "vice" while greatly contributing to polluting the air themselves by driving untold amounts of commuting miles... :rolleyes

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"Now ain't that the truth."

No, it's a lie. Sexual promiscuity will shorten the life span of any group. You're homophobic so you use an overall statistic (one which you haven't cited) and apply it to a specific group.
Sexual promiscuity and smoking cigarettes are not good choices for anyone regardless of sexual orientation.
It's not illegal but it's also not something that a society should encourage. The cost to our health care system to which we all pay dearly both in our insurance rates and our taxes is a shame because it's preventable to some degree.

David

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Mr. Bikeman, More name calling. That is nice. The sources were many, including pro-gay lifestyle groups. The Mendola report, Spada Report, Kinsey Institute all found these statistics before the Aids epidemic.

One of my best friends, and also my cousin, is gay. I am sure he will be interested to hear I am homophobic. My biggest fear for him IS these statistics.

I would also encourage ANYONE to stop inhaling smoke. I just won't Nanny-State him or her into it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Sexual promiscuity will shorten the life span of any group.

"We agree on that."

You're homophobic

"I have a few friends that would totally disagree with you including myself."

It's not illegal but it's also not something that a society should encourage.

"Yet we agree again. I just don't agree with the laws that are being passed pertaining to."

The cost to our health care system to which we all pay dearly both in our insurance rates and our taxes is a shame because it's preventable to some degree.

"We totally disagree here. Your means to the solution far exceeds imo."

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK....first, courtesy was the incorrect angle. If you want to disregard it, I understand it.

I know that was tongue and cheek, but I choose to live where I do in SoCal partly because the air quality is much better than elsewhere in the LA area. Granted, much of that is due to natural effects, but give me the same choices in public access areas, and I will be happy.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, Second hand smoke causes no harm. 0.12 cigarettes in a 6 hour period will not cause any damage to your system. It is SO diluted that the body's own filtration systems will eliminate carcinigens...

The 5 cocktails consumed over the 6 hour period will cause you FAR more harm than the "2nd hand smoke"... if you value freedom of choice, you better understand groups want to take away THAT choice under the guise of public health...

And this seems to be being IGNORED ... THE NEW YORK LAW is a TOTAL BAN. Not rules for putting in smoke purifiers, not for setting up designated areas. It BANNED a LEGAL substance.

By the way, the same groups are also trying to get laws passed to prohibit smoking in your own home.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Wow; this fine thread took a nose dive rather quickly! :frowning:

Back On Topic: How's that review coming, Frank? And I do hope your recovery is progressing nicely. :)

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"And this seems to be being IGNORED ... THE NEW YORK LAW is a TOTAL BAN."

We have bars here in Central New York where you can legally smoke. They received exemptions after showing proof that their business was adversly affected by the ban. This is written into the law and is not a local thing.

David

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
You're homophobic

"I have a few friends that would totally disagree with you including myself."

I'm glad to hear that. That dosen't change the fact that being gay does not shorten life expectcy. I took your statement to say exactly that. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

David

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
David, That was actually a reaction to a bar owner who stood up to the law. The bar is in Batavia, New York.

They amended the law to allow for such an exemption.

My point is not about smoking, it is about the freedom to choose.

Curtis, You can google search for the data. I did. It is not a study, it is math. I even did the math for you. When you breathe, you typically take a 1/2 quart breath. There are 30 Quarts of air in a cubic foot.

In our club last night, there were about 40 people in a 70x50x14 foot bar area. That was about 1000^3 feet per person. I used 200^3 feet per person. That is a CROWDED bar.

MichaelDDD - As I said earlier, Frank is free to tell me to knock it off anytime. :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, I won't even bother to read your link. I get so tired of discussions that are totally "read this link" ... because the "read my link" position is an intellectual vacuum.

I research several sources, or more, then come to a conclusion. It is called thinking for myself.

I could post 20 links about the second hand smoke situation that state second hand smoke is NOT the killer the anti-smoking crowd makes it out to be. I can also do the math.

Math does not lie.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK...you researched, thought for yourself, and formed an opinion, but anybodyelse that does not believe what you believe did not.

Yes...math does not lie and is the universal language. I do math very well too, but I do not use it to prove points unless I can show a correlation.

Maybe we can agree on something. If may not be the killer that the anti-smoking makes it out to be, but do you at least agree that secondhand smoke is unhealthful?

You could post 20 links, but I asked for one that uses your math to prove your point.

I understand the issue with government intruding in our freedoms, but which freedoms are being intruded upon, and which are being protected?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, There is no ONE link to prove my math. However, if you look up a conversion chart, you will see that 30 quarts of air = 1 cubic foot. You will also see that the average person breathes 1/2 a quart per breath.

Part of thinking is just that.... thinking. If you are in a space 4x4 feet with a 15 foot ceiling (think about the typical bar that is fairly crowded) ... you are in 240 cubic feet. If HALF the people in the bar are smoking, that is 480 cubic feet per person.

A person breathing the smoke in is doing just that, breathing it in. They exhale the smoke, and put 1/2 quart of now dilutes smoke into the air.

That will be diluted by 1/(480x30x2) = 1/28,800th of the volume of air around you is going to be smoke, versus 1/1 volume going into that persn's lungs.

THAT is the MATH... So no, I don't agree it is unhealthy any more than I think walking is. Last year, over 6000 pedestrians were killed in the US ...

NOW, FOR THE FREEDOM....

Bar Owner "A" says he wants to ban smoking from HIS place. HE bought the bar, and pays for it. It should be HIS choice to BAN smoking.

Bar Owner "B" says he wants to allow smoking. Curtis gets to CHOOSE which bar he is going to.

That is called FREEDOM. FREEDOM means RESPONSIBILITY.

By the way, between bar "A" and bar "B", which one do you think I will be in ?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The bar issue I agree with....but that is not an example of all public places.

Those pedestrians that were killed, what were the actual causes? Would it happen to be external causes such as drunk drivers, careless drivers, etc?

Once again, I understand your math, and I am not disputing it. The issue I am disputing is the fact that secondhand smoke is unhealthful.

If you want to believe that it is not, OK....lets leave it at that.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The pedestrians were killed mostly by cars...

And it is not a belief on my end, just simple math... by the way, the entire conversation was about bars/restaurants/lounges.... I can understand rules regarding the work place...

and since you never answered my question, as to which bar I will be in... simple...

The one with the best looking women...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Well....we agree on that one. Women who smoke are unattractive to me. Then again, they are probably unattracted to me too....so its a draw.

Time for me to walk the dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks