What's new

The Rocket RS 750 Signature Speakers Are Here!!!!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"frank manrique.... You have got to do a bigfoot (200) for a center channel. I moved one of my 750's to the center last night and while not bad it was not as good as bigfoot. I believe (you can search prior posts over at av123.com) but its voiced just a bit different and that is what makes it so good in this case...."

Wow! Mike, how many 750s do you own that you can spare one to try for center channel chores?

Anyway, am currently lusting after a "Bigfoot" like you won't believe! Too bad my funds are a bit short right now otherwise I would get me one ASAP... :frowning:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"The bigfoot is voiced more forward (at least in my sample), which helps in making dialogue much more intelligible, even at low volumes. Its power handling capacity is pretty amazing, and at high volumes, still does a nice job in blending in with the mains."

Victor,

Thanks for the information. It only makes my resolve to get one soon all the more urgent!...

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank - I am sure you will find the resources to snag a bigfoot soon enough... In the meantime, How does the 750 pair stand up to the other speakers in the $1500 range...

Plus... What do you think of four 750's and a Bigfoot for $2799 ?

Richard_M

Second Unit

Ahhh thanks Craig; I told you guys we are a bit slow down here.

Sorry Frank, I was sure having trouble coming to grips with what you were saying, but now I am on the same tram, I fully concur...

Carryon Gentleman, (Note to self - check medicine dosage)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Richard... I think the joke goes "We are a people separated by a common language" ... true ?

I am sure your medication was not the problem... 9000 miles of ocean is the problem... :)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank - I am sure you will find the resources to snag a bigfoot soon enough..."

Hope so, my friend...hope so!

"In the meantime, How does the 750 pair stand up to the other speakers in the $1500 range..."

Well, is being a while since I done any speaker audition rounds, but considering what I've seen and heard at gatherings such as the Winter CES in Las Vegas (admittedly not the most propitious acoustical venues, true enough) and what I've experienced over the years...I believe the 750s are more than merely competitive in terms of sonics even against speaker systems far more pricy. Time will tell, of course, but I still feel quite confident in my 750s initial aural assessments.

"Plus... What do you think of four 750's and a Bigfoot for $2799 ?"

Wow! Considering that the 750s go for $1500 the pair and "Bigfoot" for $600...I say you got one heck of a great deal there, Craig!... :eek:

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Sorry Frank, I was sure having trouble coming to grips with what you were saying, but now I am on the same tram, I fully concur..."

No worries here, mate! :D

By the way...English is not my native language...that's perhaps why I tend to falter so often. And even though I have lived in the good 'ol USA for nearly 36 years (my ex-wife and kinds were born here, though, thus their English is far superior to mine!) I still find it problematic to a certain degree. I better go back to school to sharpen my language skills, I reckon!... :b

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank... $2799 is the Standard Systems price for the Package (Called the Rocket 750 Signature Package... you KNOW that name was hard to do...) Basically, it is like getting a $100 discount on each pair of 750's, and the Bigfoot Free ... if you do the math...

That seems to be Rocket's forte' ... package pricing.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank... $2799 is the Standard Systems price for the Package (Called the Rocket 750 Signature Package... you KNOW that name was hard to do...) Basically, it is like getting a $100 discount on each pair of 750's, and the Bigfoot Free ... if you do the math...

That seems to be Rocket's forte' ... package pricing."

Ah so!... To be honest, I did not check their package pricing (or much of anything else outside the main Rocket speaker model availability section of their Web site), although it makes sense.
I just went for what I thought was "B" stock goodies (you wouldn't believe what I got the 750s for even if I were to tell you, but then I can't do so for what I consider to be are ethical reasons), but their package pricing does seem to be a great deal for any one seeking that level of sonic excellence for such an affordable sum of money...

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This week, While on yet another trip to Canada to finish the expansion we are doing for my financial services company, we had a golf match rained out. So... while everyone else decided to seek out bars .... I went looking at some of the GTA's stereo stores...

Systems I liked:

1. Totem Hawks (4), Model 1 center, Thunder subwoofer ... $7999 Canadian.

2. Energy Veritas system ... with 2.3's ... $9000 Canadian with subwoofer

3. Paradigm Studio 60 system ... with Seismic 12 subwoofer, 570 center and ADP-470 Surrounds... Quoted price of $6700 Canadian...

The Totems most reminded me of the Rocket 550 Mark II's ... they were very musical, the sub was excellent.

The Energy system was not in the same league as the rest... (sorry to Energy lovers) ...

The Paradigms were also very good... excellent bass, though the overall system seemed more... computerized... than natural.

The 550 system I have here now was VERY much like the Totems, and I preferred both to the Energy/Paradigms...

And when you consider the Rocket 550 Ultra system is $2200 plus a subwoofer... Or about $2950 Canadian.... that leaves LOTS of room for a subwoofer...

THEN I stopped in an upstate NY store that specializes in B&W, and listened to a 703 based system for $6500 US.... that was with subwoofer... and granted, this was not in the same room that I heard the 550's... but the 550's were STILL more musical. That is not a knock on the B&W's ... it is high praise for the 550's ... but back to Canada...

The funny part... There are apparently a few SVS and Rocket owners in the Toronto area... the one store manager mentioned he was tired about hearing about how good they both are.

Home theater also seems to be very popular in Canada... any Canadians want to chime in ? You can actually talk to strangers in Canada about good audio/video like we Yanks do about cars...

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

Isn't this just great when you hear about this... If they only could put them out on the floor people would snap them up. I wonder if anyone has tried to buy a package and sell it for more money at a higher end store. You know there are alot of folks that do not yet use the internet and they are still old and have alot of money!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"The funny part... There are apparently a few SVS and Rocket owners in the Toronto area... the one store manager mentioned he was tired about hearing about how good they both are."

:emoji_thumbsup: :D

-THTS

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I snuck into one of our two high end stores here in Portland, OR last week just to look. They had some new subs in from Velo I think and were showing it off. The bad boy was like 3K and I thing my big room would need two.
I asked him if he ever heard of SVS.... boy what a mistake that was. All he could do was slam them and how they had flaws and all of that. He could have at least been honest and said yes I have heard of them but we dont carry them.
I walked out and told him that I had a SVS PB2+ and one of those could do my room where it would take two of his for double the price and was completely happy. He just shrugged his shoulders at me and basicly tryed to show me the door.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I snuck into one of our two high end stores here in Portland, OR last week just to look. They had some new subs in from Velo I think and were showing it off. The bad boy was like 3K and I thing my big room would need two.
I asked him if he ever heard of SVS.... boy what a mistake that was. All he could do was slam them and how they had flaws and all of that. He could have at least been honest and said yes I have heard of them but we dont carry them.
I walked out and told him that I had a SVS PB2+ and one of those could do my room where it would take two of his for double the price and was completely happy. He just shrugged his shoulders at me and basicly tryed to show me the door."

Mike,

You sure got some big cojones there, my friend! I admire your grit! :)

You know, that sort of response is not that unusual coming from audio boutique salons sales personnel......or even establishments with far lesser "pedigree".
I remember one time back in the early 70s when I spoke very highly of the BBC sanctioned Rogers LS3-5A mini-monitors to a salesman at a Fedco (union member-oriented general store chain that's now quite dead) store. Man, not only was the salesman pee'od to no end, but the department manager asked me to vacate the premises in no certain terms! And I was a member too! He, he, he...it sure was worth seeing their faces turn all red while their ears and top of head spewed steam!... :laugh: :laugh: :D

-THTS

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Frank,
Great thread! Thanks for posting at av123. I haven't visted HTF for a while. Cool!

Suggestion - get the risers for the 750's. These things open up a lot when you get the tweets up to ear level.

Also- If you decide to go with Bigfoot (Yep- The RS200 center speaker) and the surrounds, the AV123 folks will probably fold back your 750 purchase to get you package pricing on the rest.

As has been noted here - Bigfoot Rocks!

Gordon

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with Gordon here. I did not notice a big difference with the risers as some did but there was some there. What turned me on more so is that no other speakers have them or that look like them and they just make the speaker look very unique. Everyone the walks into my family room thats the first thing they want to know about after looking at the risers... ""What kind of speakers are those, they look very expensive?""
I quess what I am saying is that figure the riser cost into the package however you can do it as you will want them. As far as Bigfoot... there is not other center like it that I have heard and I listened to alot. I had a more expensive system that was 5+ years old and also tried newer ones and got tired of constantly turning up the volume knob a zillion times per movie from booms to quiet dialog. Not with bigfoot. I rarely have to do anything... Its great.... Thanks Mark and Co.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
750s Heads up:

Just to let 'ya folks know, the "review" of these speakers is about half done...three pages thus far...and counting!

Also, received the speaker raisers I ordered recently for the 750s and installed them last night. Haven't heard them with 'em thingies installed yet, so won't know if there are any sonic changes (I think it will).

As for the "Bigfoot," there is a possibility that I might order one in the next few days...providing the price is right...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank - I am really looking forward to this review. Glad YOU are doing all this typing..."

Thanks, Craig! Coming from you is a real honor.

Btw, check your PMs; I just sent you one... :)

-THTS

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Craig,
It sounds like you got a chance to hear some popular Canadian made speaker setups while you were here. I agree with you that the Totems are very nice speakers.
As far as HT being popular in Canada I will say that with Canada having such long winters HT is a sound investment......I know...I know....it's a bad play on words.....but it works and it's true:)

P.S. Frank, Congratulations on your new speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks