What's new

The Rocket RS 750 Signature Speakers Are Here!!!!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"frank,

if you make it to the sat. listening session, you'll have a chance to experience bigfoot!

hope to see you!"

I hope to make it and meet you too.
It'll be real cool being able to listen to all that equipment under the same roof!

Everything is pending on what the doctors tell me on Friday morning, of course, so I won't know until then whether I can venture out into the great outdoors yet or not...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank - I could not hear any difference in the 550.2's with or without the grills, either.

Now come on ... We need more listening tests !

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Great write up frank, I felt like I was there unpacking them myself! The speakers sound awesome. Can't wait to hear a sound review. I would love if Craig could compare the 550's and 750's as I have heard about how sometimes extra woofers muddy the sound so i am curious if it might apply in this case where the 550's might actually sound better?? Either way, it sounds like Rockets are great speakers!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Kevin, It is funny you would mention that... I just ordered a pair of 750's to try out... The 5.1 system for this room will consist of either 550.2's or 750 Signatures in the Front, with either 250.2's or 550.2's in the back ....

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thats awesome! Can't wait to hear how you think they compare. Even if you don't want to write another review, if you could PM me a general assessment (no offense everyone else) I would greatly appreciate it...
Kevin

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Kevin, I think I will post some general impressions here... I had sent in too much $$$$ for a previous purchase... and had a credit that covered the majority of the cost of the 750's ... so I figured "why not?"

It seems a lot of people want to have someone do a direct comparison.... especially based on the PM's I have gotten...

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank - I could not hear any difference in the 550.2's with or without the grills, either."

Aha! Well, that is great, really cool, Craig. Thanks!

Btw,even the owners manual points that out too, so I'll stop fretting about it! :D

"Now come on ... We need more listening tests !"

Ah...patience, my friend...patience!...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Great write up frank, I felt like I was there unpacking them myself! The speakers sound awesome. Can't wait to hear a sound review. I would love if Craig could compare the 550's and 750's as I have heard about how sometimes extra woofers muddy the sound so i am curious if it might apply in this case where the 550's might actually sound better?? Either way, it sounds like Rockets are great speakers!"

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin.

I too would like to see Craig's opinions of the 750s, particularly after being directly compared to something else.
Of course, I really would love to see TECHNICAL test results as well, but that is not a possibility any longer. :frowning:

I have always believed that with properly designed subbass systems ANY loudspeaker, regardless of whether they are dynamic, electrostatic, planar, ribbon, etc., can indeed be successfully integrated; the RS 750s Signature transducers are no different.
In other words, the secret to successful integration between speakers (full range or otherwise) and subwoofers is in the blending of the two systems; levels have to be set just right (obviously) to avoid the usual sonic pitfalls that result from having subwoofer levels set too high. Also, the use/application of steep crossover slope rates is of paramount importance as well.
I believe there is plenty of information available about this sort of thing in the sound reproduction literature.

Oh, yes...my sonic impressions of the 750s thus far is that indeed they seem to be great speakers, but I'll be making sure of that when I audition them sans subwoofers in a simple two channel system; this will be done in order to eliminate the many variables that currently exists...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank, Let me guess, We will get more listening impressions right after we see those pictures of your system ..."

Touche! :b :b :b

Hey, wait a minute...did you ever read the moral about the tortoise and the hare? Well, there you're (you know, these days I tend to move like the former critter). :D

By the way...congrats on getting the 750s; I think you'll like 'em a lot!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

Matt G.

Agent
Enjoy Frank...the 750's will sound even sweeter over time. I haven't noticed any difference with grills on/off with mine.

Also, Bigfoot is a must. It's the crown jewel of the Rocket series IMHO.

Come on over to the AV123 forum sometime...the guys over there love to hear from new owners.

Take care...

-Matt

Richard_M

Second Unit
Frank very well put...

This has always been a belief of mine as the adding of a subwoofer to make speakers full range, is no different to the xover between the mids, & tweeter, but as you quite rightly stated the secret lies in the "successful integration".

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Enjoy Frank...the 750's will sound even sweeter over time. I haven't noticed any difference with grills on/off with mine."

Thanks. That's great to know..coming from actual users...

"Also, Bigfoot is a must. It's the crown jewel of the Rocket series IMHO."

Well, if it is the center channel speaker (the costlier) I seen in their Web site then yes, I believe it to be one hell of a good transducer just by looking at it.
I personally don't care much for CC speakers that use a tweeter in the middle; they are apt to produce sonic anomalies. That's why I use TWO D'Appolito "MTM" arrayed transducers for CC chores in the "big" HT system instead. Barring combing effects and the like, I still find this set up arrangement preferable to conventional CC speakers (like the little Athena CC job am currently using in the "small" HT system, which produce certain sonic anomalies that are easily heard).
The fact the "Bigfoot" utilize a tweeter immediately above the midrange driver and positioned in a non "MTM" array bodes well. No matter; am lusting after one! :D

"Come on over to the AV123 forum sometime...the guys over there love to hear from new owners."

Thanks for invite! I'll be visiting sometime soon (I already have registered)...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"This has always been a belief of mine as the adding of a subwoofer to make speakers full range, is no different to the xover between the mids, & tweeter, but as you quite rightly stated the secret lies in the 'successful integration'."

In case is not obvious yet...might as well state that I am a firm believer of having bass/midrange/HF transducers separated from infrabass systems since separation of both systems facilitate optimal placement/localization.
In other words...what is good for one system it isn't for the other.

I hope that one day not far in the future being able to select sound processors equipped to easily handle such chores as automatic calibration of all speakers utilized in one's system, complex EQ'ing, complete selection of electronic crossover frequency point and slope rate options, sophisticated bass management, and many other similar desirable functions (all originating in the digital domain).
Some of those features are already available in certain audio components, but isn't enough as far as I am concerned.
Having access to processors such as the one descrived above would definitely make it easier for us to really squeeze all the potential from the rest of our audio components. That would also include correct integration of speakers with subbass systems, of course...

-THTS

Richard_M

Second Unit

Frank, not trying to be disrespectful here, but I do not understand this statement.

I have my subs on all the time, and had a couple on members of this forum over to listen, both could not believe that even with 2CH music the subs could not be localised.

Now in my case the xover is set @ 80hz for both multichannel and 2 channel, also probably 99% of 2ch music is above 30hz, so why would having the bass seperated from infrabass a requirement, the only time I would see this being a problem is with poor integration.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Richard, what Frank is saying is he likes having his subwoofers seperate from his main speakers, so he can put each where they sound best...

example, subwoofer in the corner, mains pulled out from the walls... make sense ?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
frank manrique.... You have got to do a bigfoor (200) for a center channel. I moved one of my 750's to the center last night and while not bad it was not as good as bigfoot. I believe (you can search prior posts over at av123.com) but its voiced just a bit different and that is what makes it so good in this case.... Good luck
MikeL (see ya over at the 123 forum.

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
The bigfoot is voiced more forward (at least in my sample), which helps in making dialogue much more intelligible, even at low volumes. Its power handling capacity is pretty amazing, and at high volumes, still does a nice job in blending in with the mains.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Richard, what Frank is saying is he likes having his subwoofers separate from his main speakers, so he can put each where they sound best...

example, subwoofer in the corner, mains pulled out from the walls... make sense ?"

Phew! My poor command of the English language does get in the way at times and can get me into a lot of trouble!

Craig, thank you indeed...for so adroitly explaining what I was attempting to convey.

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks