What's new

"The Robe" and "Demetrius and the Gladiators" are now a wow! (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
RobertGr said:
According to the onfo I posted THE ROBE was indeed restored again with parts from the original neg around 2004. Also original disc reviews claim the aspect ratio was not 2:55. The newly repackaged disc says it is in the original ratio. What does the back of the 2001 disc sat about the aspect ratio?
The 2001 packaging says 2.55:1 as well.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

the 2001 edition of the Robe looks almost hideous and I will not believe that this film has so little potential with regard to resolution that it has to look like it does.

35mm film even when these movies were done easily had more than a 720 by 480 pixel resolution.

This is a whole new format that was created exclusively at first by Fox and they should put much more effort into making this one look as good as it can.

Oliver

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Jack Theakston said:
FYI, both THE ROBE and DEMETRIUS are undergoing new restorations.
I have a rather big screen with a close seating distance and could not bring myself to endure the old transfer. So I am glad there will be a new one some day and I sure hope that we will also be able to skip right by the SD version and get the BR disc of the movie :)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Maybe with modern digital tools they will be able to get more off the camera negatives, whereas the current Robe DVD looks like it is mainly from separations.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jack Theakston said:
links please
btw, regardless of what george posted early in this topic soome of you folks had been very rude to him by saying he had a screw loose and such.
really tht deserved an apology.
george should not have been the only one abmonished for rudeness.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Regarding Fox restorations, apparently Richard Fleischer's 1955 film 'Violent Saturday' has been restored, and was shown from a new print at this week's Cinema Ritrovato festival in Italy.

So hopefully this means a DVD release isn't far off.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jack Theakston said:
Hi Jack,
I see on Amazon.com they have a release date of 10/16/2007 for Demetrius. Would this be the restored version or the same as the old since it's only $5.49?
The Robe is listed a a future release on Foxclassics.com. That probably would be the restored version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
That version of Demetrius listed on Amazon has been out with that cover for almost two years (I have it). it is exact;y the same master as the original, which I think is pretty good.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I doubt that the lab working on the films right now is even finished yet, so I don't think that you'll be seeing the fruits of the efforts until next year.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I wonder if perhaps, as has been the case with several other films (PILLOW TALK, ANNIE, etc.), there are multliple masters on the market with the exact packaging. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
RobertGr and JoeCaps, can you guys put the discs into your DVD-ROM and report the mastering dates, label ID, and disc sizes? That way we can confirm that there are several versions out there. Just put the discs into your DVD-ROM and select info. It's the only way sometimes to discern which version of a film one might have, such as the case with the TOM AND JERRY VOL 2 set. A replacement/exchange program was insituted for the set, but corrected copies were also put on store shelves. I bought the set for a friend later expecting to have to contact Warner to get replacement discs, but the set I bought was a corrected version.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hi Chuck!

I use Dell Media Experience if I ever play a dvd on my Dell, how would I get the info you asked for. When I load the dvd into the deice it comes up with the Dell screen.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I have no experience with Dell Media Experience, but I use a Mac and just highlight the DVD once it appears on my desktop and then select GET INFO from the FILE menu at the top of the screen. Under a Windows operating system, I believe one can open "My Computer" from the desktop and then highlight the DVD and get the information about the disc.

Honestly, I think it's possible that you are BOTH correct based on the discs you have received. It's possible JoeCaps has discs that in every way resemble yours based on what is printed on the disc and the packaging but are in fact from a previous pressing. Finding out the disc name, authoring date and time, and file size will help determine that.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Let's not go through all this again. I thought we had already established that the exact same master has been used for all DVDs of The Robe. I recently bought the DVD again to get the latest cover art and it is exactly the same as the original DVD.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
And as I stated previously, several titles have been reissued with NO changes to their packaging whatsoever. Has everyone forgotten the framing fiascos with PILLOW TALK, AIRPORT 75, BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy or ANNIE, especially how the latter was corrected and quietly reissued with no alteration on the packaging?
I'm going to look into this and get the label ID, authoring date/time and disc size for the initial releases as my library has them. I'll make some screen captures as well. I find all of this very curious. Wouldn't it be something if it turns out there IS another master out there on the market and everyone but RobertGr was wrong? LOL

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
My new disc (with the new covers) include three versions of Demetrius with the new cover. All of these have a copyright of 2004, but the disc, while having new onscreen logos are exactly the same master.
As I had mentioned before, a cource within Fox told me that the restoration of the robe was not even compoleted yet.
Indeed, if you go to www.foxclassics.com and hit upcoming releases, you will see that a new two disc special edition of The Robe is in the works.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Joe is totally correct in the fact we should all turn our attention to THE ROBE SE that is mentioned on foxclassics.com. Joe is a great source of film info and has created many a great thread about film this thread on THE ROBE started because some other forum had a post that mentioned that a new master of the THE ROBE was quietly placed on the market, I bought the disc and it did look very good and in fact the best I had seen the film look in any video incarnation. Joe pointed out the great amount of research he had done on the releases so in my book the subject is closed and I hope the new disc rocks!!!!!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Some things to remember - just because there is a new restoration, is no guarantee that a new trasnfer will look better - it could look worse (see new dvd of Oklahoma as an example).

The robe is supposed to be a two disc set - I hope we get the AMC doc abpout the making of the film. I hope the second disc is the alternate flat version of the movie, which should look better than the scope. The flat was shot in three strip Technicolor (the scope, despite the tech logo in the credits, was shot in Eastman color). The flat has better camera angles, better editing etc.

Around the early 90s, a stereo track was found for the flat version. I hope they still have it and can use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks