What's new

The Roarding 20's (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just watching MAD,MAD.....WORLD...and remembering the wonderful TV show during the early 60's, featuring Dorthy Provine. Who holds the right to this....and might there be anyyyyyyyy chance of it making it to disc?....probably music rights and other problems...but i would enjoy it. Thanks.

S

silverking

A Warner Bros. show, not one of their biggest hits. With their total disinterest in their old classic black & white catalogue , unlikely we will ever see it released.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverking

A Warner Bros. show, not one of their biggest hits. With their total disinterest in their old classic black & white catalogue , unlikely we will ever see it released.

Gotta agree with Chris. WB has a mountain of b/w series and they've been ultra slow to release any of them. Vintage color shows have a much, much better chance of getting the Archive treatment. Just look at their latest two offerings: The F.B.I. and now Medical Center (over and before Kildare?!!). Both are color shows and I honestly do think Warners is more apt to release a series if it's in color.

Gary "I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on The Roaring 20's, unfortunately" O.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for you thoughts gentlemen...you are probably right. You can't even get the music from the three albums that were released....except on vinyl...and i think only one of them is available...darn.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Gary OS said:
    Quote:

Gotta agree with Chris.  WB has a mountain of b/w series and they've been ultra slow to release any of them.  Vintage color shows have a much, much better chance of getting the Archive treatment.  Just look at their latest two offerings: The F.B.I. and now Medical Center (over and before Kildare?!!).  Both are color shows and I honestly do think Warners is more apt to release a series if it's in color.

I wonder what will come first from the archive - More B&W Warner Shows, or More Monogram B-Movies? Only B&W Show so far is Cheyenne Season 2.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm stunned that the Warner Archive would release Medical Center and even The FBI, but still no Maverick! Are they kidding? They really must not like B&W TV shows there. Thank goodness for Encore Westerns.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I really think that a lot of those Warner black and white hour series are going to have serious music clearance problems. Provine sang a couple of songs in every episode just like Connie Stevens did in Hawaiian Eye. Even when Good Life had all of those series, the only 2 hour shows they never bothered with were Roaring 20s and The Alaskans

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
    Quote:

Gotta agree with Chris.  WB has a mountain of b/w series and they've been ultra slow to release any of them.  Vintage color shows have a much, much better chance of getting the Archive treatment.  Just look at their latest two offerings: The F.B.I. and now Medical Center (over and before Kildare?!!).  Both are color shows and I honestly do think Warners is more apt to release a series if it's in color.

Of the big 4 medical series of the 60s, Medical Center would have to be ranked 4th in terms of quality, 5th if you want to count The Doctors segment of The Bold Ones.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeWilson

I wonder what will come first from the archive - More B&W Warner Shows, or More Monogram B-Movies? Only B&W Show so far is Cheyenne Season 2.

At this point my money would be on more Monogram films before more b/w series, but I hope I'm wrong. While I'd like to see the Charlie Chan films from Monogram finished up, I have to admit there are many more b/w Warner shows I'd like to see. But you are correct that so far the pickings have been very, very slim if we are talking about the Warner series from the 50's and early 60's.

Originally Posted by jdee28

Of the big 4 medical series of the 60s, Medical Center would have to be ranked 4th in terms of quality, 5th if you want to count The Doctors segment of The Bold Ones.

Yep. It's a big step down from Kildare and The Eleventh Hour as far as I'm concerned. Of course I don't believe Warners owns Ben Casey so I wouldn't count that one against them, but they certainly could have chosen to release the other two before Medical Center. Until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I'm going to believe they prefer to release their color series over their b/w shows.

Gary "lets see if the WBA does anything to change that perception in the next six months" O.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Gary OS said:
     Quote:

At this point my money would be on more Monogram films before more b/w series, but I hope I'm wrong.  While I'd like to see the Charlie Chan films from Monogram finished up, I have to admit there are many more b/w Warner shows I'd like to see.  But you are correct that so far the pickings have been very, very slim if we are talking about the Warner series from the 50's and early 60's.

We've got some big fans of The F.B.I. and I'm not about to rain on their parade.  But for WBA to choose Medical Center as their next TV offering is a major shock to me.  No doubt about that.

Yep.  It's a big step down from Kildare and The Eleventh Hour as far as I'm concerned.  Of course I don't believe Warners owns Ben Casey so I wouldn't count that one against them, but they certainly could have chosen to release the other two before Medical Center.  Until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I'm going to believe they prefer to release their color series over their b/w shows.

Gary "lets see if the WBA does anything to change that perception in the next six months" O.
I remember this show as being completely ridiculous...IMO...Dr. Joe Gannon...brilliant surgeon...and... social justice crusader,amateur psychologist, social worker, homicide detective, tactical/ high risk takedown policeman, martial arts expert, saint, tinker, soldier, spy...even to a then 13 year old viewer, totally unbelievable! It was also, as I recall, part of the dreaded "relevance" school of so called drama...preachy, hypocritical, phoney and pretenscious...in my opinion only...there were a lot of shows during that period with the same agenda and pretense...relentlously dull...but, I'm hoping that WA will release the TV gems that a lot of us desire...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never saw an episode of "Medical Center" at all in syndication so I have no impression of it whatsoever. I'm more surprised by the fact that Warner is releasing the entire first season right away while "The FBI" only got a split season release (at least they could have given us both parts of Season 1 at once like they did both parts of Cheyenne S2, which I would remind people IS a B/W show), "Ben Casey" is listed in the CBS Syndication Bible and it is one show where it doesn't even list as having videotape elements available (did CBN use 16mm prints back in the 80s?) I'm just glad Warner is releasing shows at last. They did take care of my favorite one on the list right away (and the initial sixteen episodes of "The FBI" I'll say again are among the best of the whole run) and frankly when it comes to new titles, I want "Girl From UNCLE" (not to mention the unreleased MFU theatrical movie edits) before any late 50s early 60s title.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

I'm just glad Warner is releasing shows at last. They did take care of my favorite one on the list right away (and the initial sixteen episodes of "The FBI" I'll say again are among the best of the whole run) and frankly when it comes to new titles, I want "Girl From UNCLE" (not to mention the unreleased MFU theatrical movie edits) before any late 50s early 60s title.

That's what makes the world go 'round. Warners owns several titles I'd have a passing interest in, but only a few I'd really covet and be willing to pay their inflated prices for. I've got a solid sampling of most of their 50's westerns and detective series, thanks to alt sources, TV airings, and friends. The first season of Kildare, The Dakotas and the Tarzan series are three I'd buy right away. And I'd certainly sample some of their other offerings if/when discounts became available.

Gary "glad your favorite was released, Jack" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll admit that when the #1 show on my list gets released first it at least means I don't have to view every subsequent release through the lens of anxious "when will my #1 get released?" As a result, I feel a lot more relaxed now when it comes to what's on tap in the future from Warner. "Cheyenne" S2 I got from Amazon even though as a show I don't find it impressive. But what made me reconsider was the first ever appearance by Diane Brewster (later the doomed Helen Kimble on "The Fugitive") as con lady Samantha Crawford, a role she reprised several times later on "Maverick". I felt having that episode and that season kind of set the stage for whenever "Maverick" finally comes.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I think WB really underestimates the fan base for MAVERICK. During the last HTF chat they said they were looking into plans to do something with MAVERICK and I believe at that time they were cryptically referring to a pressed release, but it's almost a certainty now that won't happen. I think it would do well for Time/Life, but there is probably a hesitation over the season and a half after Garner leaves.

I've seen about six episodes of THE ROARING 20's from alt sources and like a lot of the WB shows from that period, I wasn't very impressed, but I don't have any history with the series or any nostalgia to fuel my appreciation for it. I love the era the show was set in, but I don't think the show really did a lot with it. I'm not saying it's a bad series, just one that didn't do much for me based on the few I sampled.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just to keep my broken record going, I don't care what else Warner releases if they put out both seasons of Harry O. I thought The FBI was a bit clunky (I'm old enough to have seen it, and I did watch it every week), but it was very popular and I can see why Warner put it out. I would have thought it they'd do it as a full release, though, and not MOD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Professor Echo said:
I think WB really underestimates the fan base for MAVERICK. During the last HTF chat they said they were looking into plans to do something with MAVERICK and I believe at that time they were cryptically referring to a pressed release, but it's almost a certainty now that won't happen. I think it would do well for Time/Life, but there is probably a hesitation over the season and a half after Garner leaves.

I've seen about six episodes of THE ROARING 20's from alt sources and like a lot of the WB shows from that period, I wasn't very impressed, but I don't have any history with the series or any nostalgia to fuel my appreciation for it. I love the era the show was set in, but I don't think the show really did a lot with it. I'm not saying it's a bad series, just one that didn't do much for me based on the few I sampled.
Why they have neglected Maverick, I have no idea. It was by far the most popular of their shows from that era and it was the only one which had any kind of significant syndication after the 60s. As for their other series, I think they give perfect meaning to the phrase, "you had to be there". People who are now in their 60s, who grew up watching all of the WB series of that era, have this unbelievable affinity for those shows. As someone who didn't grow up with them and wanted to see what the fuss was about, I found them mostly boring and repetitive. The only one I found watchable was Hawaiian Eye, mostly due to the presence of Connie Stevens and Robert Conrad. They stand out from the usual bland, cookie-cutter actors in these series and unlike the other window-dressing cuties, Stevens is actually given something more to do in this show. Even worse are the Warner Brothers action-adventure imitation series. Things like Follow The Sun, The Islanders, The Aquanauts, etc. Knock-offs of not-so-great originals. Kind of like when CBS tried to copy the ABC relevancy format with things like Storefront Lawyers, The Interns and yes, Medical Center. It doesn't work when the thing you are copying isn't that good to begin with. There was a good deal of great TV being produced in the early sixties (Naked City, Route 66, The Defenders, Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, etc.) but the Warner shows weren't among them.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
    Quote:

Growing up in the early 1970s, I watched a lot of tv, and I remember Medical Center being shown in syndication a lot. I think that is the reason its being released. I can still remember the opening credits, although I never watched the show, the opening credits were my signal to change the channel. The only other medical type show I recall being on tv that much was Marcus Welby. I didn't watch that either. The only noncomedies I watched then were shows that featured mysteries, monsters, or lead characters who wore a gun. As for Maverick, I am worried, but I haven't abandoned hope. I think that it is the best show Warner ever produced, and it deserves a first class release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks