What's new

The Road to the SuperBowl: The NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Jason GT

Second Unit
I see that none of you are showing any love for mah Forty Niners.

Actually, as much as I like them, the 49ers ARE upset bait. They haven't really played well all season long, and a win tonight (actually I think they'll lose -- probably resting guys) won't do that much to change things.

There is something about this team that screams 'mediocrity', or at the least, a relative inability to make big plays at big times from all but Owens.

What the 49ers have going for them is a strong LB corps -- this should be useful against Shockey (look for a Peterson-Shockey matchup if the Niners don't doubleteam Shockey) and Barber, and luckily for the niners, the Giants WRs are beat up.

What does this all mean? I dunno, I'm just rambling.

J

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Always go with the hot team.
Uh, the Oakland Raiders were 7-1 the last half of the season. Plus they have the home field advantage and a chip on their shoulder from last year's playoffs. The Raiders have been the best team over the last three years and will finally have something to show for it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the Titans were 9-1 in their last ten, and I like teams that remind me of my 2000 Ravens in that they JUST WIN no matter how good/bad one part of the team does, and that's what they're doing.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Am I the only one that thinks Mike Martz deserves is getting a free ride? The Rams have completely quit and Martz has taken the well oiled machine that Dick Vermiel built and ran it into the ground?

The Raiders have been the best team over the last three years
Wow. Which NFL were you watching?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
The Raiders have been the best team over the last three years
Last time I checked, since the start of the 2000-2001 season, my Iggles have the best overall record and best road record of any team...

of course that means nothing without a superbowl victory, but I can see that happening pretty soon now

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I would like to see the Raiders and Eagles or Jets and Tampa. Sux that Miami and the Broncos, definitely some of the most talented teams, didn't make it. If one disagrees, at least look at the running backs. Anyway, look for the Raiders to win it all!!

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Wow. Which NFL were you watching?
So go ahead and list the teams that have had a better run over the past three years. Certainly not the last two Super Bowl champions, the Ravens and the Patriots, who are sitting out this year's playoffs. Rich Gannon should win the MVP this year. It is phenomenal how the Raiders have played through having a 1st year head coach, key injuries, suspensions and of course old age this year.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Actually I do know the Eagles do have one more win then the Raiders over the last three seasons. Some other teams might also but I’m too lazy to look it up.
Of course if the Raiders win the SuperBowl they would pull ahead of the Eagles. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the only teams with virtually no chance are Atlanta and Cleveland. After that, every remaining team has at least a slight chance of winning it all (although the Giants, Jets, Colts and Niners would be considered major surprises).

The most overrated teams in each conference are Green Bay and Pittsburgh. I'll be pulling for the Steelers, but I do not think they can stand up to either Oakland or Tennessee, and the Jets are also playing well enough to beat them. The Pack have looked bad at times (especially away from Lambeau, and they will be on the road in the playoffs) -- they have benefitted from playing in a very weak division, as have the Niners.

For this weekends games, I'll pick:

Green Bay over Atlanta
NY Giants to upset San Fran
Pittsburgh over Cleveland
NY Jets over Indy

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Throw tampa in the overrated team pile as well Scott. I see them getting upset in their first game.

Green Bay is pretty much a lock of atlanta, especially since the NFL decided to further handicap the match by making it a night game. it's going to be freakin' cold in lambeau.

The giants are hot and I'd like nothing more than to see them lose, but I don't think San Fran has it in them. Plus they haven't played a real game in a few week, I think this hurts their competitive edge.

Pittsburg is going to trounce the browns.

I like the Jets over indy but i think this one's gonna go down to the wire, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Manning step in a big game for once. A last minute drive might be the deciding score.

Not a big raider's fan myself but i'd say they're the team to beat in the AFC and they'll have a tough game against the Eagles in the super bowl

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Manning step up in a big game for once
Just how many "Big Games" has Manning ever played in???
I don't think he has been in a game as big as this one on Saturday vs. the Jets...and this is even bigger now that the Colts actually have a good Defenseive strategy on the other side of the football for the first time since Manning has been in Indy.
Don't forget how Indy went into Philly in Week# 10 and whooped up on the eagles (35-13) and then in Week # 12 beat a pretty darn good Denver team at Mile High (23-20).
They have played well in New York vs. the Jets in the past - and they should be able to do so again on Saturday.
The Colts can be the best team in the NFL one week - and look like an expansion team the very next. This year they have been pretty consistent - most of the losses could have been avoided. I can only think back to a Monday or Sunday night game against Pittsburgh and then 2 weeks ago in a loss to the Giants at home that they were completely outplayed.
Even before the seaon began most people were picking them to win the "easy" AFS South division. Well, they coulda won the division if they had not lost both games to the Titans (1 game by 8 points and the other by 10 points) but they were in both games until the very end.
All year long - this team has been waiting for the playoffs...and I think Edgerrin James is finally healthy enough to get 100+ yards rushing + another 40+ yards receiving.
Colts 34
Jets 30
:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Go Birds!! The Road To The Super Bowl goes through Veteran's Stadium!!!

Man, it would be nice to see an Eagles/Oakland Superbowl rematch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Regarding the Colts, what's the word on Marvin Harrison's injury? If he's not available, Indy has no chance against the Jets. Even with Harrison, I still think the Jets will win this game -- the Colts have a poor defense, and the running game has struggled this year with The Edge at less than 100%.

If Brad Johnson is not 100% healthy, you can also write off the Bucs. In his absense, Tampa showed just why he should have gone to the Pro Bowl instead of Michael Vick. Brad Johnson did a great job running that offense, considering the lack of talent at the skill positions. Backup Rob Johnson is horrible, and Shaun King looked very rusty in his one shot, since he's been third string most of the season and therefore not getting much practice time.

The Eagles will be tough to beat in the NFC, while a Raiders - Titans AFC championship game could be very entertaining. My concern with the Raiders is that the passing game has slowed down the past few weeks -- Jerry Rice was a non-factor in the final three games. Oakland needs to ride Charlie Garner if they want to get to San Diego.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
My concern with the Raiders is that the passing game has slowed down the past few weeks -- Jerry Rice was a non-factor in the final three games. Oakland needs to ride Charlie Garner if they want to get to San Diego.
On the up side their running game is coming around.

In the Miami game they simply got out played on the road. Miami's defense matched up very well with the Raiders, part of me is glad they are not in the playoffs although the way they play on the road I doubt they would have had the same defensive performance in Oakland.

The Denver game was basically over in the first half when the Raiders scored 21 points and only needed just a little of 100 yards of offense to get those points. They also ran the ball 37 times which is much more then their season average.

The last game, they rushed the ball 60 times so I wouldn't expect them to get many passing yards. My philosophy is take what you can get. If you can run the ball 60 times and have a time of procession of just over 40 minutes why not?

I do hope that the passing game picks up but I'm also happy that they have at least shown some signs of a running game.

So who are the favorites to win the AFC? I love the Raiders but the Jets and Titans are playing great ball right now and I would have to say that the Jets are the favorites because of their hot QB; the Titans are a close second with Pitt and Oakland just about equal.

Of course everything is a crap shot in the playoffs and anything can happen so I'm pulling for the Raiders.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Does anyone think there will be a chaotic goodbye at the Vet if the Eagles win the NFC championship ?

Consider the following:

Everyone knows the Vet is going to be demolished soon.
The Eagles would be going to the first superbowl in 20+ years.
Philly fans are, afterall, Philly fans.
Its the Vet - for the love of pete !

I wonder if they'll go crazy and start tearing up the place.
You know how football fans can get.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I hope not, the Phillies still have to play another season in that park. I hope some of those people are Phillies fans also. :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I must have misunderstood - the last Eagle game I saw on tv they were saying how the Vet is going to be gonzo after the foosball season.
Maybe its after the baseball season.
The Vet lives on ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks