What's new

The Restaurant (1 Viewer)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Though I agree that Rocco seems to be ignoring his staff's concerns (and embarassing Topher in front of his table was just dumb), most of the staff seems to be completely oblivious of the demands on his time and what his job really is...

They say he's never in the kitchen for a chef and all he does is PR and talk with the guests. If he is to survive in what I would assume is a highly competitive market like New York city, he HAS to focus on PR to pull in the customers. It's in the best interest of his staff. Also, a chef of his stature does not typically stay in the kitchen every night and do the routine cooking. They develop the menu, create the dishes and try out new things. As well, none of the staff even notice that he's there early in the morning and stays late with the books...Not forgiving his lapses or anything...

Laurent is a boob, but he was right about that one guy's attitude when a customer bumped him. Unfortunately, he chose the exact wrong way of making the point to him (given the guy's personality).

Actually, I think that was Caroline (the waitress who was told to take the opening night off and then subsequently told Rocco that being nice to people while serving them was too much work).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think they were 2 different waitresses. The one in the apartment may be named "Caroline" but the one that Rocco talked to outside on the sidewalk in the afternoon about her attitude problem wasn't the same girl in the apartment. I'll check my ReplayTV to make sure.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
most of the staff seems to be completely oblivious of the demands on his time and what his job really is
But what is Rocco's job? He is the owner/operator. So yes, he needs to do PR, but he also needs to make sure the operations are running smoothly. If they aren't its the managers fault not the employees. If you don't have good management you might as well give up.

Rocco should NOT be going from table to table kissing girls, getting pictures taken, etc. He is coming off as an annoying owner. It all looks so fake. That whole bit with that big table that all the food was crap and he comes over with his mother? Come on, how stupid is this guy, really? He thinks he is being funny but he is just annoying everyone.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
The vibe I'm getting from this show is that Rocco doesn't grasp that a restaurant is not about the food, it's about the service. If your waitstaff is happy, things run more smoothly.

I also think the staff's comments about the restaurant having an identity crisis (sterling silverware w/ plastic plates) is spot on.

Lastly, there seems to be no clear pecking order, with the waitstaff not seeming to know who they report to.

I wouldn't eat there if you paid me.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I missed this episode last night, but after reading the new posts today it sounded just like the same episode I saw last week.(episode 2).I really hope this show gets better or it won't last.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks for the review links, Tom. Wow, those are some scalding comments!

And although the hours says it's open until 11:00 p.m., I swear the show looked like they were still serving at 1:00 a.m.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I guess they may have been scheduled to close at a certain hour, but due to the overbooking, people waited for what seemed like hours and they had to stay open longer! What was it Rocco said -- 235 parties were booked instead of the ideal 140 or something?!

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm sorry... maybe it's the midwesterner in me...

After watching a couple episodes of this show, I realize I'd rather eat a five dollar burger in a greasy spoon or a bar where I can watch the game, check out strongman competition...

I don't know that I could stand dealing with this waitstaff on a regular basis. They are driving me nuts, and they're not even waiting on me!!

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Though I agree that Rocco seems to be ignoring his staff's concerns (and embarassing Topher in front of his table was just dumb), most of the staff seems to be completely oblivious of the demands on his time and what his job really is...
Rocco was way out of line picking on the waiters as an excuse, and he was also way out of line letting Gideon go home again after calling him back once. But, don't they understand the demands of trying to be the owner and chef of a new fledgling place? Conversely, it has become very apparrant at this point that Rocco is wearing too many hats and trying to have it both ways with his staff, he sets them up with the expectation that they would be part of a family and they should do whatever they need to please the customer, but when they try to give feedback back to Rocco he doesn't have time or seem to care to listen. Some really mixed messages there.

I also think an Italian restaurant is one of the toughest places to open for a big name Chef because everyone knows how to make 1/2 the meals on that menu (or he is certainly competing with there Mom's), and there local pizza place probabaly makes a damn fine chicken parm that measures up to the almighty Rocco's (at probably double the price). I think that adds to some of the criticism, if it was a French restaurant, no one would know what they were ordering and no one would be complaining because they never had it before and don't know what the hell they are eating c:)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Justin, your point about how "everyone knows how to make 1/2 the meals on that menu" is just the problem -- it's boring, bland, everyday food, served at almost haute cuisine prices.

In the two episodes I've watched, I haven't seen Rocco mention anything about how the kitchen is run, the food is made or the restaurant managed. For comparison, check out Mario Batali's Bobbo or Lupa to see how "celebrity chef" restaurants can succeed in spades:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/2168.htm
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/2171.htm

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Also there is WAY too much arguing among workers while out on the floor. I've NEVER been in a restaurant where I've been able to overhear a waiter being chewed out or hosts arguing with each other. If someone has a problem with a fellow employee you don't take it out on them on the floor, you bite your tounge and you wait until the doors are closed. Makes me think that these people have never had a job at anything.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Tom,

Excellent reviews for comparison. Like I say, I'm not into the high-dining experiences (though I do live 10 minutes from the area in Wisconsin where all the rich people from the midwest have their summer cottages... yet I refuse to eat anything that costs more than I would get paid in an hour... and it better take me an hour to eat it!

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Patrick, O' High Priest of Reality TV ;) , I think that's just a followup article. I think the *real* review was pretty scathing. Also, I don't thinks she's a food critic -- more of a celeb/gossip/media writer. her other articles on NYPost.com show this and a real food critic would never give her name or annouce they are in a restaurant.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Don't you love it when a "critic" immerses herself in the story? How about she just stay home and watch the show and review it like the rest of us? Her bias is extraordianry.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I understand that Stasi isn't a real food critic, just thought her comments of her experience were a bit interesting. I wonder why the wait staff thought Stasi was a "food critic"?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Italian-Americans felt growing up (this Italian-American included): "We grew up kinda being ashamed of being Italian, and now I'm proud of it." Let me be the first to say that part of the reason we were ashamed to be Italian was because of how TV portrayed and continues to portray Italian-Americans (see cafone, above).
Thats such BS. With a last name of Alletto and living in the suburbs of chicago with my dad growing up in the city I would say I'm rather Italian. Yeah we got the occassional ganster joke but it was funny. These people are too damn uptight. Real Italians aren't like that. They love a good time and love to joke and just have fun.

Stasi came off as being a major bitch in the show (at least I thought) as well as the people she was with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks