What's new

The rest of Universals '07 slate...no Hitchcock? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Maltese Falcon is a planned HD release but there has been no announcement about it yet.

Doug

ReggieW

Screenwriter
...And considering the dismal sales of Casablanca, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I believe Maltese Falcon, Singin in the Rain and a few other classics were planned shortly before HD-DVD launched. I say bring em on, but Warner may be waiting for greater market penetration before releasing titles from the 40's and 50's.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I know Casablanca didn't sell very many units, but when compared to over all HD sales it probably did about as well as its SD version when compared to over all SD sales.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for classics, but to be perfectly honest I would rather they concentrated on widescreen classics over 1.33 AR titles. The widescreen stuff, especially cinemascope ratios and beyond are where the resolution boost of HD is very much appreciated when I go to double dip on these.
That said, I would still like to Wizard of Oz make it out this year.

as for the Universal list- beyond September, the only thing I'm interested in is Pride And Predjudice. But I would be shocked if this a complete list

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Do "sales" figures for Casablanca include the freebies given away with Toshiba players? I know the main reason *I* bought an HD-A2 was to get a free Casablanca (which I'm still waiting for).

Anyway, that's an absolutely horrible lineup. Only thing I'm buying on that list is Heroes.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Good question. I would guess that they probably do not, as I believe the numbers that are always bantered around are derived from retail sales numbers, not studio shipping numbers.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
There are 5 or 6 films I will purchase out of the list.

You are probably right on this account.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Another sign of floundering niche formats is the "be grateful we're getting anything" attitude. ;) But you're right in a way as I've pretty much given up any hope of seeing anything this year from Fox or New Line. Still for a Q4 lineup that's been touted about for months this list is pathetic.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Has the Q4 lineup been "touted", really? I don't remember anybody really playing it up beyond a little math (Universal throws out the 100 number and everyone starts subtracting). It sounds like a case of people saying what they think is going to happen and then griping when the studios don't live up to their fantasies.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Yes touted. Maybe not directly from Universal (that I know of) but for months I've been reading what obviously was just a bunch of hot air from overzealous HD-DVD supporters about the Hitchcock titles, Conan, Brazil, Slap Shot, Scarface, Cape Fear, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Uni monsters, etc, all coming in Q4.

No fantasy on my part, I just wrongly assumed people weren't talking out of their ass to overvalue their format of choice - a practice which both sides constantly do. I'll know better from now on.

Even putting aside all these rumored titles this is a pathetically weak lineup for a Q4. I can't imagine what they'll release in the traditionally weak Q1 unless they're planning to just take a powder and dissapear for 3 to 4 months like they did this year.

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a lackluster list of titles from a studio doing nothing more than fulfilling their contractual obligation to the format until the end of the calendar year 2007.

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
Let me be clear. I am first and foremost an HD DVD supporter and have been since day one. I am thankful for Universal and their presence on this particular format. While I cannot quote the exact sources (I know, my bad), I remember reading somewhere that Universal did indeed have a contract to support HD DVD at least through the end of 2007. I am simply speculating, as many others have done, that it is theoretically possible for them to start supporting both formats sometime next year with an announcement at the next CES. My thought is that they might consider not putting out a lot of their bigger, higher demand titles this year, such as Hitchcock, until they are ready to make a longer term commitment to something. I also happen to be a big Hitchcock fan and would love nothing more than to see some of those titles this year yet. In other words, I'm just saying that the weak list of titles from Universal does nothing to make me feel great about their participation in this format. I hope I am wrong and I hope this is an incomplete list.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't think this is a complete list anymore that the lists for the second quarter were compete. Universal has made it clear in recent comments that they are supporting HD DVD and have no plans to support Blu-ray.

In the conversation with Universal some time back they specifically noted that the Hitchcock titles were coming to HD DVD, but I don't think they gave a time frame. I'd have to go back and look at that transcript.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'd be very happy with some HD Hitchcock! Particularly some of the VistaVision films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks