The Really Dumb Drivers Thread (Rant)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Here's the place to let out all your steam instead of going postal on the road.
    [My Rant]
    On the way to work this morning the freeway off-ramp is more crowded than usual. This is a huge 4 lane off-ramp that is never crowded, so this could only be an accident or a traffic light problem. I need to turn left at the upcoming intersection so I get into the left most left-turn lane (there are 2 left-turn lanes). Sure enough...at the very front of the line in my lane is a stalled car. There's no sign of an accident so I pull up behind them.
    I figure it must be an old lady or something and she needs help pushing her car. So being the good Boy Scout that I am I get out and offer my help. It turns out to be 3 perfectly healthy teenagers. The guy driving the car rolls down his window and I say, "Do you need help pushing your car out of the way?" He says, "No, my dad is bringing more gas." Then I explained that he was really blocking traffic and there's a huge line of cars behind him. So he looks to his two female friends in the car to decide what to do. One girl passenger tells him to get out and push. The other just sits there with her arms folded and doesn't move. After almost a minute of watching them argue over who's going to have to get out, the girl in the front seat joins me in the back of the car to push. But it gets worse...
    Because we are in the left of 2 left-turn lanes I went over to the driver of the car in the next lane to explain to her that we need to go straight through the intersection when the light turns green, and I'd appreciate it if she would please wait to let us through before she makes her turn. She then gave me a look that meant she was going to be really inconvenienced by this and finally agreed to do it. All she had to do was wait 5 seconds while we go in front of her.
    So the light turns green and the passenger and I push the car across while "panzie-boy" runs along side the car holding the door open. (I say he's a panzie because of the way he acted...not because he's a wimp. I would still call him a panzie even if he looked like Rambo.) We finally get the car into a parking lot and I run back to get my car out of the way. A whole 4-5 minutes out of my time and traffic can move freely again.
    I know we have some young drivers here so let this be a lesson to you. If you are blocking traffic, don't sit around waiting for Daddy to rescue you. Get your car out of the way. The only exception is if you are involved in an accident and need to leave the car as is for the police to make a good report. Otherwise, move your junk! If you are physically unable to move your car yourself, when someone offers to help you need to be ready to accept it.
    For those of us that pass people that need help...5 minutes of your time to stop and offer assistance isn't going to kill you. And what's up with the lady that didn't want to wait 5 seconds while we go in front of her? Argh!
    [/My Rant]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Alright..What's up with my title? It should read The "Really Dumb Drivers" Thread (Rant). I guess quotes aren't accepted? Could a mod fix it for me? Thanks.
    Edit - I see it's been fixed...Thanks
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 22, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

My "too-numerous-to-list-here" dumb driver stories all involve cell-phones and their servants.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I was once driving along in a one lane back road. A tailgater kept honking to get by me, but I couldn't pullover. There was no shoulder.
    Anyway, the road opened up into two lanes. I stay on the righthand side to let him pass. But he's not happy, and wants to do something about it. He cuts me off, and parks his car so that BOTH lanes are covered, and I cannot pass.
    From the inside of his car, he motions that he wants to fight. I am simply astounded by this, as he appears to be a middle aged man, not some joy-riding teen. Of course, he never actually gets out of his car, so I give in. I open my door... and he pulls away like a bat out of hell.
    At the time, I thought it was funny, but I now see how dangerous the situation was. Less than a mile later, we pull up side-to-side at a light. The guy wouldn't even look at me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

5. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Well since I used to live in Ireland where people actually know how to drive their cars and don't hog the fast lane, and actually know their car has indicators, I get infuriatiated at some of the Canadian drivers.
    The guys in the pickup trucks think just because their vechile is bigger they can sit and block the fast lane, cut you off in traffic, blast through red lights and not use their indicators.
    One street I was on, there was 2 left turn lanes which merged into 1 lane right after the turn. This means that you have to merge 1 - 1 car or else traffic gets backed up.
    So we are about to merge and this guy in a blackpick starts speeding up as if to push us out, so my brother speeds up to get past this guy, so then the guy in the pickup floors it trying to roar past us, then my brother floors it and we are heading towards an ever narrowing lane within the next 20 feet. Then finally this guy gives up and slows down to let us in, then I looked back to see him waving his hands in his vechile like he was demented, so I roll down the window and give this guy the finger for like 30 secs.
    I basically have to say the majority of pickup drivers are retards who could do with taking a lesson in driver courtesy.
    Aaron

6. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I had a lovely experience with a young lady this Saturday. I was pulling out of my development, which has a light at the entrance. I was going straight, and a girl coming from the other direction decided she wanted to make a left turn in front of me. So I screeched to a stop and honked inches from her bumper. She gave me the finger, yelled, and pointed at the light.
    I was mostly amused by her pointing at the light, as if I did not A) also have a green light and B) have the right of way.
    This is nothing like the well-documented "Albany Phenomenon," wherein the first person in the left lane has the right of way when the light turns. I've never seen this so much as in Albany NY.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

After being run off the road and having my beloved car totalled by a maniac full of road rage, I now call 911 when someone starts pulling this kind of shit with me. Let the cops sort them out...
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    My turn!
    [rant on] Just this past Sunday we were stopped at a stop light. Had been for about 30 seconds, so it isn't like we screeched the tires in hopes of stopping in time while drivers behind us scramble for their brakes. Enter idiot who turns corner and isn't paying attention. WHAM! Into the back of my car at about 35 MPH! Said idiot is apologetic, and did *try* to avoid my car my blowing out one of his Perellis (sp?) on the curb, but my car is still damaged. He says his insurance will cover it, but I maintain that if he'd been paying attention in the first place my pretty teal car wouldn't have his ugly white paint all over the back of it! [rant off]

9. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

For a case study in dumb drivers, visit Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Yes it is a real city [​IMG]
    I would classify the mix of drivers as mostly people from off the farm, or elderly, or maniac teenagers. Put them in a city environment and you get chaos. I have seen people turn into the wrong direction on a divided highway a few times and I've only been here a few years.
    This said, I have too many rants to even begin writing out in this thread. [​IMG]

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Here's an honest question: why do people not use the turn signals? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT. It doesn't take any extra effort, it doesn't take brains. It takes a slight movement of a finger or two on the left hand. And I don't buy an explanation like "they forget", because it's IMPOSSIBLE to forget: if you make a turn, you turn on the signal. It's easy. That would be like forgettting to turn.
    It's not like it' happens every once in a while, it seems like 3 out of 4 cars don't use the signal.
    Is it because they feel like it's not necessary, that somehow we should all read their minds?
    Is it because they don't care if we know or not?
    Is it because they assume nobody is there anyway? My driving school instructor had a good answer to that... I didn't use the signal in one turn where there was nobody else around, since I figured that nobody was there to see it anyway... he said "When you don't see anyone else, that's when you REALLY need to use the turn signal, because chances are that IF there is someone there that you can't see, at least they will see you and know you're turning, and can avoid a potentially dangerous situation". I've used the signal every turn ever since.
    Now that I think of it, maybe it's becayse they didn't go to driving school that they don't use turn signals... [​IMG]
    /Mike

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

So what you are saying, is none of you has ever done anything "dumb" behind the wheel of a car, which left you feeling completely embarrassed? Rigght!

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

My wife beeped her horn at someone this morning, who turned left at a crossing on a 'give way' signal - we had a green light to turn right, we started to turn, he then started (he should have given way to us!) & he got upset at us beeping.
    He proceeded to drive along side us in the second lane gesturing & trying to get our attention. At the next light (where we turn right, and he was going straight), there was a queue in our turn lane, but not his. He *stopped* prematurely in his lane just behind the last car in our lane waiting for us to pull up beside him... Cars starting queueing behind him, beeping at him. We *refused* to pull up beside him... Why would you pull crap like that?? He was in the wrong!
    Now *that* is a dumb, scary, idiotic driver.
    ------------------
    Nothing In Particular

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'll make this quick since I've got some kids to drop off at the pool.
    rant
    People who go down the wrong way on a one-way street, nearly smash into you, and look at you funny like YOU were the one going the wrong way.
    end rant
    gotta go, I'll elaborate later.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    "Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
    "It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
    My DVD Collection

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    As a bike commuter, I try to be on the roads before the mass pileups start, i.e. I'll leave for work before dawn and leave for home around 4:30, before rushhour. Still, I see my fair share of oddities and stuff. Granted I see my fair share of stupid bike riders too. It's funny how the people who you see biking on the roads without helmets and stuff are the same people biking on the wrong side of the road against traffic and stuff! Which is an accident waiting to happen cause cars pulling out do not expect bikes or anything for that matter going the wrong way on the wrong side of the road.
    Anyway, back to cars, most drivers are very courteous to me at intersections, I actually bike as if I was a car and that makes it easier as I don't leave room for them to decide, but sometimes you still get the idiot who thinks he should gun his engine and save that 2 seconds to turn right in front of me! Then there's the people who turn into entrance ramps and stuff without looking or signaling. I've gotten plowed into before (at low speed so no harm down) of people suddenly turning right into a mall and right into me.
    Share the road!
    Jay

15. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Don't get me started on how I sometimes am treated as a cyclist (by a small minority of motorists) Even if I don't count the felons that throw stuff or try to drive cyclists off the roads, there are others who do things like treat the yellow line like it's brick wall (even with no oncoming traffic) and insist on hogging the lane, buzzing by me in a 4000lb vehicle with just a couple of inches to spare. Heaven help me if I hit a bump on these Michigan roads. Please folks, pass wide and slow, and if it's not safe to pass, give it a few seconds to see if you can get an opening. My life is worth it, really it is.
    As a motorist, one visit to an intersection sticks in my mind. While driving in Hamtramck, a "quaint" city-within-a-city (Detroit) I approached an intersection. The light turned amber, but I would have had to brake hard to stop, so I intended to roll on through. An oncoming car made a hard left turn right in front of me, forcing me to slam on my brakes, coming to a stop halfway across the crosswalk. Pissed, I give a quick blast of the horn. The other driver barks something and points and shakes his finger at me, as if I had done something wrong by not volunteering to yield to him.
    A car then comes to a stop behind me, so here I am in the crosswalk. Some cranky old geezer walks past the front of my car and slams his fist down on my hood to express his displeasure with my presence in the crosswalk.
    I don't much like Hamtramck.

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

17. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

A few weeks ago, I was driving my four year old to school. My apartment is on a road, two lanes per direction. I'm turning left onto the road. There's a road directly opposite my driveway on the other side of the road.
    Anywho, there's a lady on that road turning, from her perspective, right. Great. No problem; two lane road. I turn left and wind up in the left lane, she turns right and winds up in the right lane. Then, if anybody wants to switch lanes, they signal, check, and change lanes, right?
    I don't know what I was thinking. She, of course, decides to go straight into the left lane, and damn near broadsides my passenger side door, where my poor kid is.
    The funny part is where at the next red, we happend to be side by side at the light. So I roll down my kid's window, and I say to her, loud enough to hear, in a perfectly neutral voice, "Ma'am, you'll find that under Ontario driving law, when turning onto a road, you turn into the lane closest to your road, then lane change. You do NOT try to drive across the road, specifically to avoid that kind of situation."
    Well, she said I was wrong, then rolled up her window. What a bitch. She was an old woman, too.
    Which leads into my fervant belief; five years after you get your licence, you should be entered into a pool. A certain percentage of that pool, each year, would be required to retake their test, with the very real possibility of losing their license, and needing to start over. Retaking this test, and passing, removes you from the pool for five years again. Note that in Ontario, we have graduted licensing.
    This wouldn't put an undue strain on the ministry of transportation, but would result in people not being licensed to kill me with their cars after taking two road tests and a true/false test.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Motorcyclists are the worst of any driver.
    Just today, I'm making a left turn (no lights at this intersection) there is a motorcyclist in front of me. He makes the left and I am behind him. As I complete my turn he decides to change his mind and make a U turn right across the front of my F150. I should have hit the gas instead of the brake. Bet he'd never do that again.
    If they can ride the white line between two cars, then I should be able to ride the white line in my F150 between to motorcycles.
    They do at least 15-20mph more in traffic weaving in and out of cars.
    Now I know why the average life span of a new motorcycle rider is only 90 days. Today was the perfect example.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

19. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

I live in LA where parking is TERRIBLE. I am fortunate enough to have one of 3 parking spots at my house. The problem is we have to stack park the cars, so I've given my spare key to the the other car owners, so they can back my car out when I am blocking them in. Yesterday when someone was moving my car out they put it in 1st gear instead of reverse. He slammed into the car parked in front of mine, causing a lot of damage to the hood and grill of my car. WHAT A PAIN, and I wasn't even involved!! Now I have to deal with a body shop and an insurance company to get my car fixed!
    When I was in high school I was riding in the passenger seat of my friends car heading back home. There is a 3 mile long, 2 lane road going out to our subdivision. It was nightime, and there was a crappy old Datsun in front of us. The car was going about 20 mph (in a 40mph zone) and then suddenly sped up to about 80 mph. My friend sped up a bit, but then after about a minute we saw the car slow way back down again, probably going about 25 mph. As my friend pulled up closer to the car he flashed his lights to either get the car to move out of the way or stop driving like a maniac. Immediately, the car SLAMMED on its breaks. My friend rammed right into the back. The guy got right out of his car, and rushed straight towards our car. He was cussing and yelling, and when he noticed my friend was Asian, started yelling racial slurrs. He got back in his car pretty quick when he noticed there were 5 guys in the car. We called the police, but my friend was still considered to be at fault...what a rule, huh?

20. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Here is one for y'all. Near my fiances' house there is a light. No biggy right? Well, the left lane can either go straight or left(duh). Well, about 40 yards from the light, the left lane has to move over to the right. Well, most people know this. Well, you always get a guy, usually in either a big SUV, or a nice $30k car, that is in the left lane, and tries to beat 3 cars by gunning it at the light, and getting in front of everyone. Well, I am in a little RX-7, and it can go just a "little" faster then theres. They try to get in front of me, and I just keep up. hehe. The kicker is about 30 yards from where the lane merges, is my fiances' driveway, on the other side of the street. hehe I bet they love me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Jeff Blair
    AIM blairj2
    Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    My DVD's