What's new

The Real Ghostbusters: When Can We Call Them to Get On DVD? (1 Viewer)

Matthew H

Second Unit
I'm an avid Ghostbusters fan, and having two episodes of The Real Ghostbusters on the new 2-disc release of the films this past summer were a real treat. Unfortunately, it didn't whet my whistle and I want more - season sets! We have He-Man, Transformers, and other classic 80s toons out on DVD - when can we add The Real Ghostbusters to the list?

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
This could also be a test to see if Season sets could sell well (a la Batman Beyond and Justice League).

But on the other hand, it IS dissappointing that the Real Ghostbusters is getting the single-disc best of treatment that's usually reserved for latter-day Nick/Non Samurai Jack Cartoon Network/Disney Channel Cartoons.

John*D

Second Unit
Test? Wasn't the new Ghosterbusters I/II set with the 2 episodes of TRG the test?

Besides, Gord said these releases are aimed at parents to buy for their kids and not the adult collectors.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

Although that's most likely Sony's main justification for these DVD's (although i don't understand how Sony thinks that a relatively low-profile 80's cartoon, esp. one that hasn't seen a lot of latter-day publicity or reruns, has a lot of appeal to today's kids to justify the best of route, especially after Thundercats, He-Man, Garfield and Friends, Ducktales, etc.), a test factor could also be invloved.

BTW, The Justice League and Batman Beyond single-discs were also aimed at kids, as are pretty much any non-Adult oriented cartoon snigle-dsc best of on the market.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that this show is under the control of the kids area (think "Dragon Tales," "Bear in the Big Blue House," "The Berenstain Bears," "Harold and the Purple Crayon," "Jay Jay The Jet Plane" and so on). They don't think in terms of "season" or "volume," or creating sets that collectors want. Their goal is to slap together a couple of episodes and put them on a DVD with a low SRP for parents looking for some cheap entertainment.

Gord

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Have most little kids even seen Real Ghostbusters or any of the Ghostbusters movies? It isn't like Real Ghostbusters is on in syndication anywhere. It seems like they are aiming for a market that isn't there.

Paul

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I don't see why season sets wouldn't appeal to parents -- more episodes means the kids will be comatose in front of the hypnobox longer. It's just that the vast majority of TV show DVDs marketed to kids only come in packs with a handful of episodes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
A) This sucks. I wish that they'd have gotten their act together for a complete run.

B) I'll still probably buy the damn things anyway. I'm that much of a ghostbusters whore. Then if season sets show up, I'll pass them along to my relitives with kids.

C) The episodes they are releasing are pretty good stuff. Adventures in Slime and Space was a long run of in-jokes that probably went right over the heads of the youngin's watching.

Could be better - could be MUCH worse. Damn you Sony for not giving up the goods!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
You know, after thinking about it - screw Sony. I'm not going to nickel and dime myself to death crappy best ofs. They can sit and spin - I got lots better things to do with my money.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

How could that be a test? You test by measuring what kind of sales a sample of a product generates. The movies were bought by people who wanted the movies, not the extras. Even if there were a handful of extra sales generated by the inclusion of the animated episodes there is no way Sony could know that, or quantify the results, or draw any conclusions about the appeal of the series generally.

Regards,

Joe

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Just got these DVDs today, the show really holds up well. Hopefully these best of sell well enough to warrant season sets.

Paul

Matthew H

Second Unit
Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but with the release of GB1 and 2 on Blu-ray later this year to coincide with the release of the new video game, anyone think we have a shot?

My guess is still no, given that Sony isn't exactly an advocate for older shows, especially cartoons...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I saw this thread bumped I thought "the upcoming video game is our best bet" because that's really the only major "Ghostbusters" item to come out since the sequel in '89.

I had no idea that there would be an actual announcement, though. Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks