What's new

The Real Ghostbusters on DVD -- in R2!! Oh yeah! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wow - how did this slip under my radar? Coming out July 12th are two discs of Ghostbusters goodness:

According to Blackstar, the episodes are thusly:

Disc 1 -
* Ghostbusted
* Knock Knock
* Venkman's Ghost Repeller's
* Adventures In Slime And Space

Disc 2 -
* The Spirit Of Aunt Lois
* Beneath These Streets
* Ragnarock And Roll (Otherwise known as The BEST episode of the series)
* Sea Fright.

Does this bode well for a R1 release? I'd like to think so, but for the meantime this will hold me over. Too bad it's not a full season set, but I'll take what I can get.

Link to disc 1

Link to disc 2

Travis W.

Second Unit
I'd definitely pick this up. This was always my favorite cartoon when I was kid, right behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (of course).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I thought I had missed something to until I read the part about this being region 2. I have a multi-region player, but don't own any DVDs outside of region 0 and 1.
I've said this before, now that ALF has been announced this is my biggest want on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You REALLY should have said "R2" in the thread name! :frowning:

Funny, though...I was just talking with the writer of the episode "Adventures In Slime And Space" just last week. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
He's great, Rick. Look for an interview I did with him, just as soon as I can finish transcribing our VERY long conversation! It will be at TSoD, of course.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, those are all episodes that were previously released on PAL videotape in the UK, and are pretty much currently available in compilations. I won't complain about having them on DVD, however - that's fewer I have to convert from Beta ... :>

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Has it been known to happen where if a title is released in a different region, it may soon come to ours? I know that it happened with shows like Futurama, etc. or should I just buy a multi-region player? Cross your fingers!

Ryan

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Sigh. Yet another example of a beloved 80s cartoon show that comes to Region 2 first (others include He-Man and Dungeons and Dragons). Actually, I live in Region 2, but I'm from the US so I feel for my fellow Americans. Hopefully all of these shows will see releases- and with season sets instead of these Best Ofs.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So my discs arrived yesterday. I didnt get a chance to watch them all - just Ragnarok 'n Roll (and skimmed the rest) - so I cant give you a FULL report, but I've got a good idea what the disc is like.

As near as I can tell, the episode was complete. The only change I could spot was some text in the end credits. I don't seem to re - "Available on Videotape through Magic Window" wasn't there in the version I recorded off the air a million years ago. Oh - it didn't have the "We now return to the Real Ghostbusters" bumpers at the commercial breaks.

The video looked pretty good, all things considered. It's not as good as Rhino's restored offerings of Joe and Transformers, but it's a step up from my fuzzy off the air recordings from 15 years ago. The audio sounds barely stereo, but it's clear and serviceable.

No extras to speak of - in fact just two menu options: "play all" and "episode select". No chapter stops, save for the beginning of each episode.

So, in short - great episode selection at a bargain price, a bare bones release that looks better than VHS but not as good as other restored cartoons from the era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks