What's new

The Queen w. Helen Mirren (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070125/ap_en_mo/_2;_ylt=AuobyzYVD_O5xDe7EPcuu6NxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA0 cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Censor got a little too carried away with The Queen! :)

I saw this yesterday and it's one of the best acted movies of the last year. Helen Mirren will win the Oscar. She simply is Queen Elizaeth II. Michael Sheen was robbed of an nomination.

Best line of the movie: "I've got nothing better to do. After all, I'm only the Prime Minister." :)

The movie did a terrific job showcasing a monarchy that was clinging to its stuffy outdated ideals and a public servant who should be backing their every move, but instead slowly and surely pushes them to do the right thing even if it goes against everything they know.

Excellent blending of the news footage and the movie footage. They had me fooled easily.

It sure was weird hearing James Cromwell using a British accent.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just returned from seeing The Queen. I think my thoughts echo Patrick's pretty much. At first, I wasn't really into it and thinking her performance was a bit overrated. But suddenly I got captivated. One thing that is so clear about this film is the methodical nature of it all. Most times I usually characterize Oscar caliber performances by actors who kind of act bizarre or just strange behavior that is easily recognized. Helen Mirrells performance is so understated it's almost as if she's not acting. Just a wonderful & natural performance.

I did have a hard time with James Cromwell being Prince Philip. I don't know....just took me out of the film at times but these were quick moments. He's a fine actor for sure, but for me, he was the wrong choice here.

Michael Sheen as Tony Blair is indeed great and I can't understand why he is not getting much pub on his performance. Truthfully, as good as Mirren is as The Queen, Sheen is equally so as Mr. Blair. If we don't connect some with his character the film is lost. His character in some ways, represented us. I realize being American that comment is rather weak but his role was vital.

Excellent acting & directing. One of the year's best, & jumped into my coveted top 10. :)

9.5/10

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific film. Mirren will win the Oscar and deservedly so.

I liked that scene too. Too bad it never happened. The director made it all up. :)

:star::star::star:1/2

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw this over the weekend, and thought it was outstanding. Kind of like the West Wing for the Royals. Really great work, and I didn't want it to end. If Mirren wins the Oscar, it will be one of the least surprising, but most deserved awards in the Academy's history.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
TV Clips of US presidents often appear in movies, but I wonder, has a sitting US president ever featured as a main character in a movie?

--
H

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

At least one: Bill Clinton in Primary Colors (despite the name change). Wouldn't be surprised if Nixon was in a few films during his time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks