What's new

The Pruitt's Of Southampton (1 Viewer)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I would love for "The Pruitt's Of Southampton" to be released on DVD. I was not around when this series originally aired and I don't think it has been in syndication much, if at all, but I managed to be able to find 3 episodes that I watched and thought this series was hilarious! I am a big fan of 60's comedy and this fits right in there...Phyllis Diller very much reminded me of Lucy in the Lucy Show, in the crazy madcap schemes she was always getting into.

Basically it is kinda a reverse Beverly Hillbilles ... the Pruitt's , with Phyllis as head matriarch, are an extremely rich family who find they are in debt to the IRS and basically flat broke..the premise continues that the government wants them to continue the illusion that they are still wealthy for fear of a stock market crash. Each episode has Phyllis trying to find some way to make money to pay back the government while maintaining the illusion of wealth. An episode guide for the 30 episodes of the series makes each episode sound quite humorous (ie- Phyllis masquerades as a secretary but can't take dicatation so hides a tape recorder in her hair! - trys her hand at cooking but ends up puting a goose in the dishwasher instead of oven by mistake) and I wish so much that this series would resurface somewhere. I think releasing it on DVD would be a great idea.

If there are any more fans out there that feel the same way, please go to this link at Shout Factory and add your post in requesting the release of this series on DVD:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/134/thread.aspx

It's a fairly new post but so far aside from my own support there is only two more postings....all fans of this series please take a moment and add your feelings to the Shout Factory post about trying to get all 30 episodes of this series released onto DVD. Shout Factory also has a reputation of doing an excellent job on DVD releases ( "Here's Lucy", "That Girl","Freaks and Geeks", "Sctv","Ironside" and "McHale's Navy" to name a few) so this is certainly a good venue to appeal to.

Not sure who holds the rights but the studios need to know there is a fan base and demand for it. Are there any other fans out there of this series that would like to see it released on DVD?

Thanks. :)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I remember this show from when I was a kid. I would LOVE to see it again. I was able to get the pilot on a VHS tape and it seems pretty funny. I always liked Phyllis Diller, so this would be a welcome release for me. And what a great supporting cast: Gypsy Rose Lee, Richard Deacon, Reginald Gardner, Billy De Wolfe, Paul Lynde.........I hope they release this little gem.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Another reason I'd like to see this show is because it was based on a book by Patrick Dennis!!! Any guy who was clever enough to write Auntie Mame and Little Me deserves to be immortalized on DVD with one of the few TV shows inspired by his hilarious writing. BTW, the other show was the 1960 sitcom Guestward Ho! which also lasted a single season.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong, but I think this is an MGM owned series (as it was a Filmways (Orion owned) show. Hopefully this can be released with a PD commentary......... maybe as a 90th Birthday tie in.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I think he may have been referring to Phyllis Diller, which would be a great idea if she could offer up her own personal stories about the series.
I think it was her in an interview who stated that it was her idea that whenever Phyliss Pruitt exited a scene that upon her return she would always be wearing something new and different...if you check out the opening theme that does indeed seem to be the case! :)

Glad to see that there is some positive support out there for this series being released onto dvd.

kamhi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
I would love for "The Pruitt's Of Southampton" to be released on DVD. I was not around when this series originally aired and I don't think it has been in syndication much, if at all, but I managed to be able to find 3 episodes that I watched and thought this series was hilarious! I am a big fan of 60's comedy and this fits right in there...Phyllis Diller very much reminded me of Lucy in the Lucy Show, in the crazy madcap schemes she was always getting into.

Basically it is kinda a reverse Beverly Hillbilles ... the Pruitt's , with Phyllis as head matriarch, are an extremely rich family who find they are in debt to the IRS and basically flat broke..the premise continues that the government wants them to continue the illusion that they are still wealthy for fear of a stock market crash. Each episode has Phyllis trying to find some way to make money to pay back the government while maintaining the illusion of wealth. An episode guide for the 30 episodes of the series makes each episode sound quite humorous (ie- Phyllis masquerades as a secretary but can't take dicatation so hides a tape recorder in her hair! - trys her hand at cooking but ends up puting a goose in the dishwasher instead of oven by mistake) and I wish so much that this series would resurface somewhere. I think releasing it on DVD would be a great idea.

If there are any more fans out there that feel the same way, please go to this link at Shout Factory and add your post in requesting the release of this series on DVD:

It's a fairly new post but so far aside from my own support there is only two more postings....all fans of this series please take a moment and add your feelings to the Shout Factory post about trying to get all 30 episodes of this series released onto DVD. Shout Factory also has a reputation of doing an excellent job on DVD releases ( "Here's Lucy", "That Girl","Freaks and Geeks", "Sctv","Ironside" and "McHale's Navy" to name a few) so this is certainly a good venue to appeal to.

Not sure who holds the rights but the studios need to know there is a fan base and demand for it. Are there any other fans out there of this series that would like to see it released on DVD?

Link doesn’t seem to work. My sister was in episode 14 (12-13-66) and if l could get a copy it would make her so happy! Where did you find 3 episodes? Hope we can get something on this.

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
It would be nice if this series came out on DVD.

--jthree
It's owned by MGM. A lot of their shows are in the hands of Warner Brothers. So there's a chance. Albeit a slim chance. Warner Archive seems to have given up on classic tv and with their current folding into Warner Media, it's unlikely.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It's owned by MGM. A lot of their shows are in the hands of Warner Brothers. So there's a chance. Albeit a slim chance. Warner Archive seems to have given up on classic tv and with their current folding into Warner Media, it's unlikely.

Filmways produced the show so MGM has full rights. A complete series would either come from them through Shout Factory or Paramount seeing as they own The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction which are they are also Filmways series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Its owned by MGM, which hasn't released an old TV show in many, many years. Never going to happen.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Something owned by MGM has nothing to do with Warner. Warner owns the classic MGM library so that a show that was originally a production of MGM Television in the old days (Man From UNCLE, Dr. Kildare etc.) is under their control, but things that have passed to the post-1986 MGM management is another matter entirely.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Something owned by MGM has nothing to do with Warner. Warner owns the classic MGM library so that a show that was originally a production of MGM Television in the old days (Man From UNCLE, Dr. Kildare etc.) is under their control, but things that have passed to the post-1986 MGM management is another matter entirely.

The entire Filmways library including their TV series were bought by Orion Pictures in the 1980's which was then bought my MGM in the 90's.

Frank Provasek

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Provasek

Adding to this 17 year old thread... Amazon bought MGM for $8.5 billion in 2022 and has exclusive rights to 17,000 episodes of TV shows for their Prime service.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Pam Freeman, my favourite girl on Shindig! was on this show too.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
nice:)
1700854698424.png
1700854845926.png

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
The series turned up in the 1990s on 3 (i think) ITV regions inclucing my own (HTV). Really enjoyed The Pruitts, but less so in it's second half, ie The Phyllis Diller Show where the supporting cast changed and the format slightly altered. A proper release would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks