The Pruitt's Of Southampton

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cherisland, May 7, 2007.

1. cherisland

cherisland Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    I would love for "The Pruitt's Of Southampton" to be released on DVD. I was not around when this series originally aired and I don't think it has been in syndication much, if at all, but I managed to be able to find 3 episodes that I watched and thought this series was hilarious! I am a big fan of 60's comedy and this fits right in there...Phyllis Diller very much reminded me of Lucy in the Lucy Show, in the crazy madcap schemes she was always getting into.

Basically it is kinda a reverse Beverly Hillbilles ... the Pruitt's , with Phyllis as head matriarch, are an extremely rich family who find they are in debt to the IRS and basically flat broke..the premise continues that the government wants them to continue the illusion that they are still wealthy for fear of a stock market crash. Each episode has Phyllis trying to find some way to make money to pay back the government while maintaining the illusion of wealth. An episode guide for the 30 episodes of the series makes each episode sound quite humorous (ie- Phyllis masquerades as a secretary but can't take dicatation so hides a tape recorder in her hair! - trys her hand at cooking but ends up puting a goose in the dishwasher instead of oven by mistake) and I wish so much that this series would resurface somewhere. I think releasing it on DVD would be a great idea.

If there are any more fans out there that feel the same way, please go to this link at Shout Factory and add your post in requesting the release of this series on DVD:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/134/thread.aspx

It's a fairly new post but so far aside from my own support there is only two more postings....all fans of this series please take a moment and add your feelings to the Shout Factory post about trying to get all 30 episodes of this series released onto DVD. Shout Factory also has a reputation of doing an excellent job on DVD releases ( "Here's Lucy", "That Girl","Freaks and Geeks", "Sctv","Ironside" and "McHale's Navy" to name a few) so this is certainly a good venue to appeal to.

Not sure who holds the rights but the studios need to know there is a fan base and demand for it. Are there any other fans out there of this series that would like to see it released on DVD?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

I remember this show from when I was a kid. I would LOVE to see it again. I was able to get the pilot on a VHS tape and it seems pretty funny. I always liked Phyllis Diller, so this would be a welcome release for me. And what a great supporting cast: Gypsy Rose Lee, Richard Deacon, Reginald Gardner, Billy De Wolfe, Paul Lynde.........I hope they release this little gem.

3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Another reason I'd like to see this show is because it was based on a book by Patrick Dennis!!! Any guy who was clever enough to write Auntie Mame and Little Me deserves to be immortalized on DVD with one of the few TV shows inspired by his hilarious writing. BTW, the other show was the 1960 sitcom Guestward Ho! which also lasted a single season.

4. Art_AD

Art_AD Stunt Coordinator

I could be wrong, but I think this is an MGM owned series (as it was a Filmways (Orion owned) show. Hopefully this can be released with a PD commentary......... maybe as a 90th Birthday tie in.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Patrick Dennis died in 1976. A commentary would have to be done via Ouija board.

6. cherisland

cherisland Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    I think he may have been referring to Phyllis Diller, which would be a great idea if she could offer up her own personal stories about the series.
    I think it was her in an interview who stated that it was her idea that whenever Phyliss Pruitt exited a scene that upon her return she would always be wearing something new and different...if you check out the opening theme that does indeed seem to be the case! [​IMG]

Glad to see that there is some positive support out there for this series being released onto dvd.